Thread: Bearing oil

RC poster

Bearing oil

You guys use bearing oil or grease ?

Lithium grease in bearings on axles if I'm doing on the fly in middle of summer or a rebuild. I have 13 rc's so through the year I generally throw in dish and in winter I'll pop seals, flush them clean, and use plain ole Trx shock oil lol. I had a bunch of those little bottles sitting around like you get in shock rebuild kits(I think that's were I got em lol) so I started using those for bearings. I think i used last one though so I'll switch back to lith grease if so. I prob have 6-10 snap rings with atleast 8 bearings on each, some rings are full so I have a few spares ready to go lol.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Oil for racing. Grease for bashing.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC poster
    How about using diff oil 50wt , seems like that would be in the middle of oil or grease ?

RC Competitor
    Grease. Remove the seals Clean the bearings and seals in solvent. Dry them pack them with grease.

RC Qualifier
    Brushless motor bearing oil
    Trinity Royal oil
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEP4051-Roy...8AAOSwfhVeF9G3
    fabricator

Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    How about using diff oil 50wt , seems like that would be in the middle of oil or grease ?
    Actually, nope. The reason is, because grease has compounds in it for it to stick to surfaces better than oil. The problem is that grease being stickier than oil, also offers more resistance than oil. So, if you want to bash without having to clean and oil your bearings every time you turn around, you want to use grease. If speed is your main concern, and you don't mind cleaning and lubing your bearings after every race, you want to use oil. Remember, no matter what weight of oil you use, oil is oil and grease is grease. That's why I say (generally speaking of course), racers are after speed (oil), and bashers are after longevity (grease).

P.S. I don't understand why my last reply got pulled. All I did was offer the idea of using Bel-Ray marine grade grease, and Dow high speed bearing lube. I'd be totally shocked if those were banned products.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post

P.S. I don't understand why my last reply got pulled. All I did was offer the idea of using Bel-Ray marine grade grease, and Dow high speed bearing lube. I'd be totally shocked if those were banned products.
    They're not. You were answering in another thread eleven hours ago: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...40#post6521640

Last edited by Double G; 01-21-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I have started using an oil called Rust Patrol. It is thin like an oil but leaves a lubricant/ anti corrosion coating. If it works as advertised it SHOULD keep water and corrosion out while providing lubrication like grease, but offer less resistance, like oil. Time will tell of it is what it is cracked up to be

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    They're not. You were answering in another thread eleven hours ago: https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...40#post6521640

Oh, Okay. I see it. I didn't know there was two related threads. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought I was on my way to the funny farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I have started using an oil called Rust Patrol. It is thin like an oil but leaves a lubricant/ anti corrosion coating. If it works as advertised it SHOULD keep water and corrosion out while providing lubrication like grease, but offer less resistance, like oil. Time will tell of it is what it is cracked up to be
    You'll have to tell us how it works out. I think I can safely say that most of us guys are always up for more speed.

RC Qualifier
    You'll have to tell us how it works out. I think I can safely say that most of us guys are always up for more speed.
    I have a brushed Stampede with cheap metal sealed bearings and a Senton also with metal sealed bearings. I’m gonna run the above mentioned oil in those 2 and 3n 1 oil in my Slash and other other Pede that has Traxxas rubber sealed bearings.
    If I get good results on the metal sealed ones I will apply the same stuff to those as well.

RC poster
    Oil,it increase more speed than grease

Oh, Okay. I see it. I didn't know there was two related threads. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought I was on my way to the funny farm.
    Maybe we all are on our way there and just dont realize it yet . Btw that was a ring and pinion gear thread this is bearing thread, different applications call for different lubes lol. But I'll give you they both are asking oil or grease so easy mix up. I dont know why I'm finding this amusing must be slap happy.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...