Thread: New tire advice

RC poster

New tire advice

Looking to buy some new tires for the e revo that I picked up used from the hobby shop. Was thinking about either going with the talon ext tires off the e revo 2.0, the proline trenchers 3.8, or the proline badlands 3.8? I read that the trenchers grip so well that they started breaking parts on some guys e revo. Do not want to break parts prematurely but want some better traction. Also read that the belted are supposed to better but I think the added weight might not be worth it. Figured I would ask others to see if they had any advice. Thank you.

RC Competitor
    My e revo is only good for two things, a gun target or a oversized door stop, mine will not handle a bump without breaking��

Quote Originally Posted by Kendarose View Post
    My e revo is only good for two things, a gun target or a oversized door stop, mine will not handle a bump without breaking��

Quote Originally Posted by Jj20_09 View Post
    Looking to buy some new tires for the e revo that I picked up used from the hobby shop. Was thinking about either going with the talon ext tires off the e revo 2.0, the proline trenchers 3.8, or the proline badlands 3.8? I read that the trenchers grip so well that they started breaking parts on some guys e revo. Do not want to break parts prematurely but want some better traction. Also read that the belted are supposed to better but I think the added weight might not be worth it. Figured I would ask others to see if they had any advice. Thank you.
    If you have the cash get the prolines. If you just want to have some better tires but not break the bank, the Talon EXTs are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep buying the older taller 3.8 trenchers for mine.

Is yours the 2.0 revo or 1.0? If it's 1.0, do you intend on running 4S in it or 6S?

On 4S, my 1.0 held up ok'ish with them. Required rear shock limiters and a close eye on the pushrod/shockrod ends, but I think that's par for the course with a revo. I never ran 6S in it, but would assume the added grip would be harsh on the axles. Once a season I had to replace my outer sliders due to the yokes stretching/wearing out.

I've since converted it to a 2.0 (bought a roller, moved stuff I could over) and I still run the trenchers. They are actually lighter than the Talon EXT's, at least the taller 3.8 trenchers are. I do wrap them with kevlar cord to keep them from ballooning and ripping off the rims. I have them on all 3 of my 6S trucks (ERBEv2, Outcast 6S, Savage Flux HP) and I really like them. Good grip in the grass, snow when cold, long life due to the larger contact area and with the taller tread/sidewalls, adds cushion to the landings.

I also run the 2.8 trenchers on my stampede 4x4 vxl and brushless converted eJato.

I run lighter tires on my nitro's.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC poster
    I think that Dunlop and Bridgestone are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mora View Post
    Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mora View Post
    Today I will just laugh, I will not write anything.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I keep buying the older taller 3.8 trenchers for mine.

Is yours the 2.0 revo or 1.0? If it's 1.0, do you intend on running 4S in it or 6S?

On 4S, my 1.0 held up ok'ish with them. Required rear shock limiters and a close eye on the pushrod/shockrod ends, but I think that's par for the course with a revo. I never ran 6S in it, but would assume the added grip would be harsh on the axles. Once a season I had to replace my outer sliders due to the yokes stretching/wearing out.

I've since converted it to a 2.0 (bought a roller, moved stuff I could over) and I still run the trenchers. They are actually lighter than the Talon EXT's, at least the taller 3.8 trenchers are. I do wrap them with kevlar cord to keep them from ballooning and ripping off the rims. I have them on all 3 of my 6S trucks (ERBEv2, Outcast 6S, Savage Flux HP) and I really like them. Good grip in the grass, snow when cold, long life due to the larger contact area and with the taller tread/sidewalls, adds cushion to the landings.

I also run the 2.8 trenchers on my stampede 4x4 vxl and brushless converted eJato.

I run lighter tires on my nitro's.
    Great advice, can you elaborate on the belts around the tires?

Also, in your opinion, are the Badlands better than the trenchers or is it personal preference?

From a cost perspectives, looks like you can get (4) 3.8 trenchers for under $75.00, where as the Badlands are $52.00 for (2).

TIA

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kendarose View Post
    This forum is not for you to trash talk Traxxas or Traxxas products. If you want to do that, go somewhere else. It will not be tolerated.

If you’re unhappy with your Traxxas RC, make a thread about what issues you’re having and we all might be able to help you make your E-Revo how you want it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tonedogg88 View Post
    Great advice, can you elaborate on the belts around the tires?

Also, in your opinion, are the Badlands better than the trenchers or is it personal preference?

From a cost perspectives, looks like you can get (4) 3.8 trenchers for under $75.00, where as the Badlands are $52.00 for (2).

TIA

Badlands are quite a bit lighter and smaller than trenchers. So they would be better if your looking for a lighter tire with good grip on most surfaces.

For more cushion and longer life (due to more contact area), the trenchers are a good option, but weigh nearly twice as much (13.4oz vs 8.6oz) and are a larger OD. Downside is the size/weight will be harder on the drive train, motor, esc and packs. Even with lower gearing to help the motor/esc/pack strain, they are still hard on diffs/cvd's/axles.

If I had to guess, the badlands will get you better grip than the trenchers. I run in grass or on concrete. I know my trenchers get a sheen on them after running in the grass for a while and they don't grip well. I like them because they last a long time on concrete and have more cushion between the face of the tire and the rim when landing on hard surfaces.

I did get a set of used talon ext's to try on my ERBEv2. Not sure I like the 1/2" offset though as that adds strain to the arms/knuckles. Adds cornering stability though and they are a bit smaller OD than the strapped trencher 3.8's I run. They are also a bit wider tire face.

I never ran the badland 3.8's on anything. A buddy of mine ran them on his talion. After seeing how my trenchers worked on my ERBEv1 and savage flux hp, he got a set, then never ran the badlands again. We ran in the same areas, lots of grass and skate park bashing.

I wish I had taken a few photo's of them next to my trencher's just so I had them on file. I have 60 or so photo's of tire comparisons I've or photo's of tires next to a ruler for reference, all of tires I've had or have.

Here' the best I have comparing them to tires you may have:

Trencher 3.8s vs Talon EXT 3.8's vs Talon 3.8s:

One other thing to note, the talon ext's are heavy. They are half an oz heavier than trencher 3.8s:
    Pro-line Trencher Non belted 13.400oz
    Pro-line Trencher X Non belted 13.651oz
    Pro-line Trencher X Belted 16.967oz
    Traxxas Talons v1 Non belted 9.100oz
    Traxxas Talons v2 EXT Non belted 13.900oz

I've been keeping a chart of tire weights for a while. I have around 35 different ones on it in 2.8 and 3.8 sizes for MT's mostly.

EDIT:
    Sorry, missed your question about "belts around the tires". You can see in my photo above what I use, 3-4mm kevlar cored string. I do one wrap of that and use a long surgeons knot, fully glue the entire knot and put drops of glue to the tire about every inch or so to keep it on the tire, but not fully glued in case it breaks and I need to replace it. The first ones I did, I fully glued with 3-4 wraps of 70lb line, the lines broke and I had to deglue the entire thing... was a pain.

This is a comparison of the 70lb 1mm string vs 500lb/3mm/4mm cored kevlar string:

Doing this nearly eliminates all ballooning, which helps avoid tires blowing apart or blowing off the rim when going WOT during a flip or something. Also helps keep it more stable when geared around 50mph so the tires don't turn into pizza cutters.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 04-26-2020 at 06:07 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Badlands are quite a bit lighter and smaller than trenchers. So they would be better if your looking for a lighter tire with good grip on most surfaces.

For more cushion and longer life (due to more contact area), the trenchers are a good option, but weigh nearly twice as much (13.4oz vs 8.6oz) and are a larger OD. Downside is the size/weight will be harder on the drive train, motor, esc and packs. Even with lower gearing to help the motor/esc/pack strain, they are still hard on diffs/cvd's/axles.

If I had to guess, the badlands will get you better grip than the trenchers. I run in grass or on concrete. I know my trenchers get a sheen on them after running in the grass for a while and they don't grip well. I like them because they last a long time on concrete and have more cushion between the face of the tire and the rim when landing on hard surfaces.

I did get a set of used talon ext's to try on my ERBEv2. Not sure I like the 1/2" offset though as that adds strain to the arms/knuckles. Adds cornering stability though and they are a bit smaller OD than the strapped trencher 3.8's I run. They are also a bit wider tire face.

I never ran the badland 3.8's on anything. A buddy of mine ran them on his talion. After seeing how my trenchers worked on my ERBEv1 and savage flux hp, he got a set, then never ran the badlands again. We ran in the same areas, lots of grass and skate park bashing.

I wish I had taken a few photo's of them next to my trencher's just so I had them on file. I have 60 or so photo's of tire comparisons I've or photo's of tires next to a ruler for reference, all of tires I've had or have.

Here' the best I have comparing them to tires you may have:

Trencher 3.8s vs Talon EXT 3.8's vs Talon 3.8s:

One other thing to note, the talon ext's are heavy. They are half an oz heavier than trencher 3.8s:
    Pro-lineTrencherNon belted13.400oz
    Pro-lineTrencher XNon belted13.651oz
    Pro-lineTrencher XBelted16.967oz
    TraxxasTalons v1Non belted9.100oz
    TraxxasTalons v2 EXTNon belted13.900oz

I've been keeping a chart of tire weights for a while. I have around 35 different ones on it in 2.8 and 3.8 sizes for MT's mostly.

EDIT:
    Sorry, missed your question about "belts around the tires". You can see in my photo above what I use, 3-4mm kevlar cored string. I do one wrap of that and use a long surgeons knot, fully glue the entire knot and put drops of glue to the tire about every inch or so to keep it on the tire, but not fully glued in case it breaks and I need to replace it. The first ones I did, I fully glued with 3-4 wraps of 70lb line, the lines broke and I had to deglue the entire thing... was a pain.

This is a comparison of the 70lb 1mm string vs 500lb/3mm/4mm cored kevlar string:

Doing this nearly eliminates all ballooning, which helps avoid tires blowing apart or blowing off the rim when going WOT during a flip or something. Also helps keep it more stable when geared around 50mph so the tires don't turn into pizza cutters.
    Awesome, awesome info!!!!
    Thanks so much!
    From what you have stated, it seems like the win for me will be the Badlands. I truly love the factory Talons, as stated they are heavy, and they don't seem like they are going to hold up long term, ballooning. They certainly look cool though...
    (As a side note, I'm still baffled by why many of the wheels come with venting on the wheel vs. the tire, makes no sense to me.... ) Dirt, water and other crap can get in the wheel. A vented tire it can spin out...

Have you personally vented or do you recommend running them as stock from the manufacturer.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by tonedogg88 View Post
    Awesome, awesome info!!!!
    Thanks so much!
    From what you have stated, it seems like the win for me will be the Badlands. I truly love the factory Talons, as stated they are heavy, and they don't seem like they are going to hold up long term, ballooning. They certainly look cool though...
    (As a side note, I'm still baffled by why many of the wheels come with venting on the wheel vs. the tire, makes no sense to me.... ) Dirt, water and other crap can get in the wheel. A vented tire it can spin out...

Have you personally vented or do you recommend running them as stock from the manufacturer.

TIA

I vent all my tires. I run in wet grass and snow/slush quite often. Unless your painfully meticulous with your gluing of your tires, water always seems to find a way in, but without venting the tires, it can't get back out, then your tires end up way out of balance.

RC Qualifier
    i have all 4 actually. ill give you some opinions

badlands - much thinner than i thought. they balloon too so they become even thinner. i no longer run them because of that
    belted trenchers - far too heavy for any benefits you get from them. they get even heavier in the rain and they are impossible to get the water out, even when vented. im pretty sure they bent one of my dog bones in the back.
    the tall trenchers - they are not offset so it really makes the tires really close to the body, making the car more unstable if you know what i mean. i didnt like the way the car looked with them on either.
    new 2.0 talons - best overall. they are light, easy to vent and get water out, and the tread is perfect for on road and off road.

Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    i have all 4 actually. ill give you some opinions

badlands - much thinner than i thought. they balloon too so they become even thinner. i no longer run them because of that.
    I have the bigger belted version and theyre amazing. They wear slow, I even drive on pavement and cement sometimes. But as far as dirt or grass and mud. Holy cow. They dig. If you drive in the same spot in the grass, expect bare spots. And my only complaint is just that they're 100$ but it is what it is haha. Theyre well worth it. I use a 2wd slash.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    according to the website, the belted version is even thinner (3.48") than the non belted (3.70")

Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    according to the website, the belted version is even thinner (3.48") than the non belted (3.70")
    Well there. I guess you learn something new every day haha. I also just realised this post was from April haha.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk