RC poster

What is wrong with my steering?please help

Having and issue with my steering on my maxx. Here is a video please help diagnose. I have changed the servo and just did the servo saver. The wheels are not turning completely under load. when I lift the truck of the ground turns perfect.

RC Enthusiast
    Looks fairly normal on carpet. The servo saver is the issue I am guessing. Spring is to soft.

RC Racer
    Yeah, its either the servo saver, or you have a broken servo.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC poster
    We’ll definitely not servo just replaced with new and just installed new servo saver set. Is there a certain way to set the tension

RC Racer
    Never seen a problem like this..Mabye your servo is too weak, but that really shouldn't be the case. I cant think of anything that would cause a problem like this other than a weak servo. Try checking the steering joints, see if there's something stopping it from fully articulating.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thereís a set screw on top of the servo saver spring. Just tighten it up. Good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Some you can replace the spring others have screw you can adjust. Some you can put washers under the spring to stiffen it up.

RC poster
    How right to I need to make it so the saver is tight in the groove?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just tighten in a bit at a time. Itís a personal preference thing. Just know if itís too tight, you risk servo or other damage.

That is completely normal and the servo saver is doing its job. There is nothing wrong with the truck. It is taking the strain of trying to turn the wheels on carpet (or anything else that holds the wheels too much) and preventing damaging the servo gears. If you tighten the spring up too much or replace it with a heavy duty spring you will risk damaging the servo. If you can do what gripdog said and tighten it up a little bit that may help, but I just wanted to make it clear that there is nothing wrong with that truck and you do not need to be replacing parts.

As soon as the truck moves in either direction with the steering wheel turned, the wheels will turn the whole way. Sitting still and turning the wheels on carpet will almost always look like this on a stock truck.
    Last edited by justin13703; 01-11-2020 at 07:45 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Just tighten in a bit at a time. Itís a personal preference thing. Just know if itís too tight, you risk servo or other damage.

Ya I tried to explain this to others to no avail. They blame it on the spring. To many mechanical engineers out there. LOL
    2-REVo 3.3
    1 summit
    2-XMAXX
    And many others

RC poster
    I had the same issue with mine. No problems with the servo itself but the wheels were barely turning when the truck was not moving. I called Traxxas and they just said it is a heavy truck and that is basically normal. I tightened the screw on the servo saver all the way down. Right now it is turning the wheels better. This might kill my servo but if that happens I will just upgrade to a servo with metal gears.