Thread: Fast car

RC Racer

Fast car

I have semi-made the choice I want to add a new RC car, a fast road one. I'm looking at the XO-1 and 4tec2.0 VXl. I dunno which one to choose. The XO-1 is a lot faster, and larger than the 4tec vxl, but I'll probably be just running it up and down the street, I do speed tests on with my vxl slash. It seems cool to have a 100+mph rc to shock some friends with. On the other hand, the 4tec is 70mph, which is still very very fast, and is 1/10 scale. I've got a 2 TRX4, and I can tow a 4tec on a trailer, without it being completely out of place compared to towing a 1/5 -1/8 scale car. I do slightly want the XO-1 more, but it costs 2 4tecs......
    Suggestions?
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Qualifier
    To me the Scale factor being able to tow the TRx4 would be cool, but also n the only factor to base the decision on.
    I haven’t owned either one I can’t speak to which would be more fun.

I'm sorta-kinda in the same 'boat' as you, considering the same two vehicles (tho, I should mention I do have an XRAY T4, but that's geared specifically towards competition), and (essentially l for the same reasons. As "cool" as the XO-1 is, I'm actually leaving towards the 4Tec 2.0...and, again, for the same reason (I'm in the process of building one scale crawler, and will soon start a super-scale (leaf spring) crawler).

Originally, it was 60-40, but now stands closer to 95-5...pretty sure the 4Tec is the "winner". There are two primary reason for this. First, there are far more optional parts (Traxxas, and 3rd party) for the 4Tec. Second, when it comes to bodies, there are far more bodies to choose from (any 200mm, and many 190mm). Maybe this will help you decide...and, then again, maybe not. Just don't start second-guessing yourself once you've made a decision, or you'll end up in a "mental loop", in you catch my drift. Besides, if you REALLY want a larger-scale 'go fast' car, once you've gotten plenty time work the 4Tec, you could always get something like the ARRMA Limitless.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by Panther6834; 01-09-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can make the 4TEC run well over 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    You can make the 4TEC run well over 100

With the right motor, the right gearing, and enough 'juice', can probably do that with almost any 1/10 on-road/off-road vehicles. I know someone who wants to attempt 100+ on sand...obviously, at the beach, close to the water, where the sand is compacted/firm (needs to be attempted when the tide is going out). While he films his usual way (forehead-mounted GoPro), he wants me to go from above, with my Typhoon H.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    With the right motor, the right gearing, and enough 'juice', can probably do that with almost any 1/10 on-road/off-road vehicles. I know someone who wants to attempt 100+ on sand...obviously, at the beach, close to the water, where the sand is compacted/firm (needs to be attempted when the tide is going out). While he films his usual way (forehead-mounted GoPro), he wants me to go from above, with my Typhoon H.

Fair point. Most people that have an XO-1 have issues with them tracking straight and keeping traction. I donít hear the same complaints about the 4Tec.

RC Racer
    I am leaning slightly towards the 4tec, I was looking for a drift car before this, but I can easily swap out the wheels and tires on the 4tec and make some adjustments to make it a drift car.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    I am leaning slightly towards the 4tec, I was looking for a drift car before this, but I can easily swap out the wheels and tires on the 4tec and make some adjustments to make it a drift car.
    As a heads up before my rustler 2wd became my speed runner I used to take to walmart parking lot and ran it. It was a super sick parking lot drifter with a 2200kv HW motor on 3s. It was a blast. The 4tec is 4wd right so may get more what you want outta 2wd vs 4wd if wanting to drift. I'm just saying in my experience. For speed you'll want a bigger platform like xo1. However like mentioned many have found it difficult to take Trx rtr speed runner to 100. Modification need to be made if you want a consistent speed runner in the xo1. If you want to build a straight speed runner go with rustler many of us have already so ground work has been laid. The xo1 is not fun to just run up and down street. Its stiff suspension and cracks in street made it clunky and hard to handle never took it to a track or for speed run. I got so bored with it I traded it for a dragster rc after I had it bit. I still want a 4tec but after seeing buddies 4tec sr I lost a little interest as a fast car but still think itd be cool to add to fleet. Plus it's cheaper than xo1 so more money in upgrades lol.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-18-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

This might be wrong, but I gotta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOAlaACuv4
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    This might be wrong, but I gotta...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOAlaACuv4
    +10

RC Qualifier
    For pavement shenanigans my two go to setups are

(1) rustler 4x4 with the shocks mounted with inner most mounting holes on top, and outer most hole on lower arm, stiffer springs, 17mm hubs running grp s5 or s7 tires. Benefit of this is you get a low cg, but still get forgiving suspension for real world surfaces. You also have more than enough room to stuff 1/8 motor and esc, without an exposed chassis that fill up with gravel, what not

(2) for parking lots, a sl4sh lcg with similar suspension and wheels as (1), but with rally front and rear bumper, body posts, and 7411 body. The benefit of this is you can really go nuts with 6s set ups and collisions are less expensive when you inevitably smash into the only light post in the whole parking lot.