Thread: Body mod's?

RC poster

Body mod's?

Being new to RC i've only had my MERV for all of 2 months and have significant wear on the ring and pinion gear. Now it was clicking right out of the box before i started going bonkers with the throttle which i know made the problem worse much much faster, but what evs. That aside i've figured the first upgrades i think i need to look into is a aluminum rear differential housing/rear bulkhead and a better ring & pinion gear.

Any thoughts on brands that are solid and also happen to have a wide assortment of other parts i can along the way? Also curious if anyone knows of any body mods that may allow for some of the higher capacity batteries? Currently looking at integy online catalog but being brand new to RCing i have no idea who's parts are good to go with.

The MERV is not the right platform to try and do mods on really. It is limited and design right near the edge of its ability requiring considerable amounts of money to get very little improvements compared to most other larger vehicles. I have never heard of a worth well battery bay mod that didn't end in a custom carbon fiber chassis.

If you don't have the newer designed stock bulkheads(diff case) with the added screw to stop early diff wear. I would suggest just getting the stock plastic. Because metal is not a good option for beginners and alot heavier and completely unnecessary. The added screw is all you need to stop the clicking. Most just shim the diff but that is just a bandaid for the problem. Stock ring and pinion are fine with the newer bulkheads and I only know of one aftermarket diff for the MERV and it is from Hot Racing. It has been discontinued but can be found overpriced on ebay. Again completely unnecessary.

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...=VXS9282;c=455
    Last edited by zedorda; 01-11-2020 at 03:17 AM.

RC poster
    how would i know for sure if its the "new" stock version? I know it's the newer body with the orange/white/purple but not having owned one previously i have nothing to compare it to. The rear bulkhead has a SINGLE screw that holds the two pieces together prior to being bolted up to the chassis. My first step was just going to be replace the ring/pinion gear and shim it and see how things went if i tried very hard to behave myself with initial acceleration. If there is infact a better plastic bulkhead then i'm all for it, if not then i may just consider shimming it just a hair. It literally was clicking/grinding out of the box just a hair, and initially i was behaving myself before i started enjoying it a bit too much.........i can be held responsible for what then occurred

I have been looking for other options for a rig to focus on upgrading i just can't decide on what. The rustler 4x4 VXL looks like it could be fun and a fair bit tamer compared the the MERV. I've also looked at the E revo 2.0, but i think i want to wait quite abit longer on something like that due to it's initial cost and the fact it is notorious for being expensive to keep running. Plus side to the Rustler is that i could share some batteries between it and the 1/10th traxxas raptor i have.

If there is a single cross screw in the bulkhead that is the newer one. If it was clicking and grinding out the box I would of contacted Traxxas they would of sent out some new diffs rq. I bet they are defective.