RC poster

EZ-Peakョ Live Dual 26-amp NiMH/LiPo Fast Charger - Battery Extension Cable?

Hello, I知 just getting back into RC. I need some help! I知 looking to buy the XMAXX and Traxxas charger and battery setup for 8S. I heard I should charge and store my batteries in a safe location. I was looking to purchase Venom痴 BAT-SAFE LIPO BATTERY CHARGING SAFETY BOX, SKU: BAT-SAFE. Do any of you know if its possible to buy an extension cable for the Traxxas charger going to my Traxxas 4s battery's?

Thanks, -Jim

Things like that you have to make yourself.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    You might have a difficult time trying to find an extension for Traxxas ID plugs. The ID connectors have the LiPo balance plug built in.

RC poster
    Thank you both for your reply’s. I want to stay as much with all Traxxas as possible. This connector issue has me leaning towards using a different battery and charger brand. I'm hoping I'm missing something.

I like Traxxas stuff too, but don't be afraid to go with something other than Traxxas batteries and chargers. Traxxas batteries and chargers are geared for beginners to be safe (this is a good thing). If you're not a beginner, and you know how to be safe, then you can get batteries and chargers that will let you get way more out of your Traxxas and other RC vehicles.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I like Traxxas stuff too, but don't be afraid to go with something other than Traxxas batteries and chargers. Traxxas batteries and chargers are geared for beginners to be safe (this is a good thing). If you're not a beginner, and you know how to be safe, then you can get batteries and chargers that will let you get way more out of your Traxxas and other RC vehicles.
    Thanks.. I知 getting closer the folks at WFO RC Racing seem to make at least 1 custom battery adapter. 2938X - Adapter, Traxxas iD LiPo battery (adapts Traxxas iD batteries to separate balance ports) I知 checking if the can make an extension cable.

What do you use for batteries and charger setup? What are your typical run times? I知 afraid if I don稚 buy a Traxxas Battery I知 going to end up buying something that痴 going to burn out the Traxxas ESC.

Personally, I have Venom Quad Pro's and run Vant and SMC batteries, but there are a lot of other good options out there. I also, have testing equipment which lets me pair and maintain my batteries easier and faster. The best thing to do is use Google and YouTube to figure out what will work the best for you.

Also, Google and YouTube are also real good for teaching you all about how to get from a beginning to a more advanced state in a lot of other RC subjects too. Like I said above, Traxxas makes it easy for beginners to be safe, but their batteries and chargers are expensive for what they offer. You want RC equipment that will grow with you as you gain knowledge.

For example, you can get a lot more out of your batteries by deep cycling regularly, pairing batteries with like "internal resistance and capacity," and by properly setting your LVC. Doing these things (and, there are many other examples too) are more advanced than what can be done with beginner equipment. As far as burning up your ESC, as long as you use the proper battery input voltage for your particular ESC, using a different brand of battery or charger will not cause you any ESC burn-up issues.

P.S. Google and YouTube are also a good place to learn about soldering too, and making all kinds of cool RC stuff. Use them to look at soldering equipment and their reviews, how to get started soldering, and then how to practice. Before to long, you'll be making your own custom RC goodies, and won't be dependent on (LHS's)...not to mention that you'll have a lot more fun and satisfaction too.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-12-2020 at 06:59 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Thanks.. I’m getting closer the folks at WFO RC Racing seem to make at least 1 custom battery adapter. “2938X - Adapter, Traxxas iD LiPo battery (adapts Traxxas iD batteries to separate balance ports)” I’m checking if the can make an extension cable.

What do you use for batteries and charger setup? What are your typical run times? I’m afraid if I don’t buy a Traxxas Battery I’m going to end up buying something that’s going to burn out the Traxxas ESC.
    Don’t buy from Wfo. Lots of bad experiences including myself.
    Buy a soldering gun or iron, some connectors and wire.

RC Competitor

RC poster
    I really appreciate you taking the time with your detailed response. I’m been using Google and YouTube (maybe too much) learning a lot the last few weeks. Many years ago I had an 1/8 Scale Nitro that I loved - those engines can be finicky. I had that for almost 20 years. I sold it a couple of years ago and want back into the RC hobby. Needleless it’s been a learning curve to find out all the items I need/want to buy for this X-MAXX 8S investment. What’s you have in your picture is my envisioned end-state. Nice setup! Thanks again…

Hitec chargers and SMC batts all the way. I totally second comments on nothing wrong with Trx products but they are user friendly with not alot of options. The Hitec chargers have a big menu tree but once you do a few times it's easy. I too liked to stay Trx in the beginning but very quickly saw I needed more. Once I landed on Hitec and SMC I've not had any desire to try different because its met my needs pretty well. The x2pro on right has built in soldering station. I had same issue with balance port plugs being short but it's an easy fix with nonTrx chargers. You can buy balance lead extensions super cheap. My charging pigtails coming from charger have the main charging cable and 2s, 3s, 4s balance lead extensions so any size battery can be fully inserted in to bag and securely velcro'd with same pig tail coming out to balance board and charger. I travel so it's a nice setup for me. They run off ac or dc and I have pigtail with alligator clips to run dc from car batt. I also have the wifi modules to see charging status of chargers from app on phone.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-13-2020 at 12:27 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

I really appreciate you taking the time with your detailed response. I知 been using Google and YouTube (maybe too much) learning a lot the last few weeks. Many years ago I had an 1/8 Scale Nitro that I loved - those engines can be finicky. I had that for almost 20 years. I sold it a couple of years ago and want back into the RC hobby. Needleless it痴 been a learning curve to find out all the items I need/want to buy for this X-MAXX 8S investment. What痴 you have in your picture is my envisioned end-state. Nice setup! Thanks again
    Thank you, and I'm glad I could help you out. Briber has a nice setup too, though. Like I said above, there are a lot of options with batteries, chargers ESC's, motors, wheels, bodies, suspension, tools, and so forth. Briber's charging setup is an example of "all-in-one." I tend to be more of a "multiple units" kind of guy. My reasoning is that if I have all-in-one unit, and one of my functions fail, it's more expensive to replace an all-in-one unit than to replace a single unit that provides one function.

There's no wrong or right way here. It just all depends on what you (or a person) is most comfortable with, and how well it works for you. I'm like you, and I was in your boat once. I was into RC back in my college years (late 70's and early 80's)...back then NiCad's were the latest and greatest thing. When I got back into RC in 2009 everything had changed.

What I did back then, was I eased back into it. I didn't go crazy buying super expensive stuff. I just bought basic stuff (so that I could play with my Emaxx). Then as I got the feel of everything again, I upgraded to exactly what I wanted. That way, I wasn't dependent on having to sell my old (less expensive) stuff. I could give it away (to make room for my new stuff) if I had to. This let me upgrade faster without a whole lot complications and haggling. Anyway, that's how I got back into RC-ing, and I have to say, that it's always nice to see a fellow RC brother return to the bosom of Man-Fun...welcome back, JimB !
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-13-2020 at 08:39 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    Don’t buy from Wfo. Lots of bad experiences including myself.
    Buy a soldering gun or iron, some connectors and wire.
    Thanks for your reply. I saw a few posts regarding their service. My only interaction with them has been positive. I asked a question and heard back within a day. I had a follow up with them and heard back within an hour. Unfortunately they don’t make a Traxxas battery extension cable.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Thank you, and I'm glad I could help you out. Briber has a nice setup too, though. Like I said above, there are a lot of options with batteries, chargers ESC's, motors, wheels, bodies, suspension, tools, and so forth. Briber's charging setup is an example of "all-in-one." I tend to be more of a "multiple units" kind of guy. My reasoning is that if I have all-in-one unit, and one of my functions fail, it's more expensive to replace an all-in-one unit than to replace a single unit that provides one function.

There's no wrong or right way here. It just all depends on what you (or a person) is most comfortable with, and how well it works for you. I'm like you, and I was in your boat once. I was into RC back in my college years (late 70's and early 80's)...back then NiCad's were the latest and greatest thing. When I got back into RC in 2009 everything had changed.

What I did back then, was I eased back into it. I didn't go crazy buying super expensive stuff. I just bought basic stuff (so that I could play with my Emaxx). Then as I got the feel of everything again, I upgraded to exactly what I wanted. That way, I wasn't dependent on having to sell my old (less expensive) stuff. I could give it away (to make room for my new stuff) if I had to. This let me upgrade faster without a whole lot complications and haggling. Anyway, that's how I got back into RC-ing, and I have to say, that it's always nice to see a fellow RC brother return to the bosom of Man-Fun...welcome back, JimB !
    Agreed, thanks and that's why I bought and set up my stuff like that. Complete with handles to carry once lid is on. All in one grab n go since I used to travel a lot to other state to run rcs with buddies. I can throw all my batts in with chargers and secure with lid n go. I was gonna go server power source and dc charging on a charger that could support 6+ batteries at a time since I have multiple batts of same voltage and mah, but going this route with only charging 4 at a time was sufficient for my needs. Especially if I started with all batts ready to go that morning I could keep batts cycling to keep me going pretty continously or until everyone else was tired outta juice and wanting to go home lol.

RC poster
    Briber - thanks for your post! Another awesome idea, product(s) to review and research added to my to do list.

Briber - thanks for your post! Another awesome idea, product(s) to review and research added to my to do list.
    No problem, happy to share my experiences, suggestions, opinions lol.

RC poster
    Question it seems Venom has been a reputable company with a great reputation regarding their chargers and battery’s. My local shop is pushing a charger brand Ultra Power – Model UP6+ 600W 16A Dual Channel AC/DC Charger. Does anyone know if they are any good? Their product specs seem fantastic and it has the Watts per channel and amps to charge a 9000 mAh, 4S battery @ 1C.

Question it seems Venom has been a reputable company with a great reputation regarding their chargers and battery痴. My local shop is pushing a charger brand Ultra Power Model UP6+ 600W 16A Dual Channel AC/DC Charger. Does anyone know if they are any good? Their product specs seem fantastic and it has the Watts per channel and amps to charge a 9000 mAh, 4S battery @ 1C.
    My one charger can charge a 9000mah at 2c if I wanted. lol. Never had Venom charger but buddy did, he liked it.

Question it seems Venom has been a reputable company with a great reputation regarding their chargers and battery痴. My local shop is pushing a charger brand Ultra Power Model UP6+ 600W 16A Dual Channel AC/DC Charger. Does anyone know if they are any good? Their product specs seem fantastic and it has the Watts per channel and amps to charge a 9000 mAh, 4S battery @ 1C.
    It really depends on how much time you have to charge, if you watch your batteries while you are charging, if you use a charging case. I typically hang out while I charge so I can keep an eye on them. I dual charge my 9200mah SMCs at 2c so I can get them done in about 15 minutes. Obviously it will take a little longer charging them at 1c. If your ok with that it probably suits your needs. I have heard those are decent chargers, Briber and ReglarGuy have been pretty spot on with their advice, it's really about how fast you wanna charge, how much you're willing to spend. Their recommendations along with the ultra power are all good options. If you want even more capability than that there are more powerful options out there as well, of course for more money. I personally didn't want to invest 150-200$ and still not be where I wanted so I decided to get a junsi icharger 406 duo and a 1000watt power supply and it satisfied my needs for the present and will take me into the future if I need more. So far I've been very happy with it. You can't go wrong with a hitec x2, very proven, highly recommended by alot of users.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Good news, I think we can close out this thread with my final conclusion. Today I ordered my new XMAXX. I ended up purchasing all Traxxas products i.e. their charger and batteries. While there may be many pros and cons for me it came down to the following: (1) This will be my only RC. (2) Traxxas will warrantee the truck if something goes wrong. (3) I spoke to multiple hobby shop owners and the common response was its what they would purchase. I figure this is their day job and money wasn’t a consideration. (4) Most importantly there seems to be much less risk with LiPo issues from occurring. That said as a precaution after a great deal LiPo safety research I did purchase 2 medium size BAT-SAFE LiPo charging / storage boxes. Check those out its an amazing product which can help mitigate fire danger. Seems to me this should be a standard purchase for people dealing with LiPo’s. Thanks again to everyone with sharing your feedback and expertise.

RC Qualifier
    Congratulations! You will have fun with it!

The only advice for something you might want to look into would be body savers. Either Traxxas brand traxxas/parts/7710 or something similar. They are a cheap fix for a design flaw. Big heavy truch, small screw heads. First time I rolled mine the screws started pulling through the body. Other than that it's one tough truck!

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice. The body savers now come standard with the XMAXX.

RC Qualifier
    I did not know that. Thanks.