RC poster

What Plug/Adapter is this?

So thinking of adding a Cooling Fan to Motor & Esc and read that it might be better to run it off the Battery itself.

I saw this Plug/Adapter (in pic) but i can only find it sold with a Fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Fullfun-Cooli.../dp/B07T1BGCQF

Does anyone know where to get one by itself or what it's called?

I've searched but i don't know the name so having no luck.

And, has anyone used one to run a Fan off the Battery?

Thx so much for any advice or direction!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Jst plug

Just standard tamiya

Most RC cooling fans have connectors that allow them to be plugged into the receiver, so that they are powered by the BEC that is built into the ESC. The connector shown in the link you gave is a different connector, which is probably why you are only seeing it for sale when matched with a fan that is using that same connector.

Trying to run a fan directly off the battery can be problematic. It comes down to what batteries you are going to use and what the fan can handle. If you are planning to use a mix of 2s and 3s lipo, then you are going to need a fan that can operate at a fairly wide range of voltages. When you run a fan connected via the receiver, then it is getting a constant voltage from the BEC, regardless of what battery you use, and voltage compatibility becomes a non-issue.

The only reason it would be "better" to run the fan directly off the battery is because then it's not placing any additional burden on the BEC in the ESC. Some ESCs have a fairly weak BEC, and if they are over-taxed, you can end up with things like servo glitching (the servo is also powered via power from the BEC).

Thankfully most good ESCs these days have a decent BEC that should be able to easily handle an extra fan or two. In any case where the internal BEC isn't good enough, you can find external BECs online for less than $10. You could use the external BEC in-place of the internal BEC, or separately just to power things like the fans. That's probably not too far off from what that adapter you are looking for would cost, but would be a better overall solution IMO.

RC poster
    Thank you so much for the info.

I was indeed confused and thought that plug would fit in the Receiver.

I understand now. I will maybe just try it running off the Reciever and see if it does anything weird, or look into an External BEC

Thx!

The Yeah Racing fans that I have on my trucks are rated for either 11.1 or 12.6v. That connector would be a good way for me to get the most out of my fans.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Jst plug

Just standard tamiya
    JST - Japan Solderless Terminal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JST_connector

Quote Originally Posted by DosDiablos View Post
    Thank you so much for the info.

I was indeed confused and thought that plug would fit in the Receiver.

I understand now. I will maybe just try it running off the Reciever and see if it does anything weird, or look into an External BEC

Thx!
    It will fit, but you usually have to sand it down a bit as it's a bit thicker than a typical receiver plug as the female plug has humps on it that key into the male plug.

You can see them here:

You also have to pay attention to the polarity of the plug, since it's just 2 leads that you would be putting into a receiver which is 3 leads. Black (-/negative) usually goes to the outside edge of the receiver and middle is red (+/positive) while the innermost pin on the receiver is the signal pin for servos and whatnot.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC poster
    Thx for the info on modifying the JST Type Plug ... you'd think someone would make a proper plug that would allow you to run an Accessory directly off the Battery if you wanted to.

I would rather have full power go to the ESC (and external BEC if attached) and then have a constant voltage (such as 6.0v) from the ESC's BEC to the accessories through the life of the battery charge. Otherwise with 3s they would get 12.6v to start and drop to around - say - 9.6v at cut-off. With LED lights you'd need to get a 12v system and image what lumens they would put out at a "dead" battery.
    The Super Derecho