RC Competitor

Thermal Shutdown

So my car went into stage 1 thermal shutdown. What do I need to check? Is there anything I need to do. I let it cool down it that all?

RC Champion
    Just let it cool down. Get yourself a temp gun to monitor the temps as well. You may want to make sure that you donít have any issues with the vehicle as well. That is if you suspect there is a an issue. If you just ran it hard and it hit thermal shutdown, itís most likely just fine but needs to coop down before using it. It doesnít hurt to go through your vehicle and check all the bearings and parts for binding, or being installed incorrectly. If nothing more, just let it cool down.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Just let it cool down. Get yourself a temp gun to monitor the temps as well. You may want to make sure that you don’t have any issues with the vehicle as well. That is if you suspect there is a an issue. If you just ran it hard and it hit thermal shutdown, it’s most likely just fine but needs to coop down before using it. It doesn’t hurt to go through your vehicle and check all the bearings and parts for binding, or being installed incorrectly. If nothing more, just let it cool down.
    How got is thermal shutdown on vxl-3s

RC Champion
    How hot is it?? I believe itís around 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Hotter then you want to try to hold your fingers on. Getting even a little cheap temp gun can help you verify temps, and not just wonder. If you come across this issue again, let the motor/esc cool down. Time wise will vary, I donít think itís a time thing, more a temp thing. Meaning, it will give full power back when it has adequately cooled below the stage one thermal shutdown. Fill thermal shutdown will render the vehicles motor/esc unusable unit they cool down. Anyhow, sorry if you know all this. Just going by experience.

RC Competitor
    So I just tried to run it after it shutdown and it won't drive just makes clicking sound and barley moves forward motor was very hot and heard weird sounds and unplugged battery. What happened?

Maybe broke the magnets inside the motor.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Maybe broke the magnets inside the motor.
    The motor appears to spin fine without a load

The one piece of advice I will give you is to never unplug the esc if it is in thermal shutdown mode. Leave it plugged in until the light is solid green again.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The one piece of advice I will give you is to never unplug the esc if it is in thermal shutdown mode. Leave it plugged in until the light is solid green again.
    What happens if you unplug it?

RC Competitor
    How much of a difference does a heat sink in motor make? Do I want or with a fan?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kw3277 View Post
    How much of a difference does a heat sink in motor make? Do I want or with a fan?
    If youíre getting a heat sink, get a fan with it. This can drop you around 15-20 degrees or so. But if youíre getting thermal shutdown, I suggest dropping a few teeth on your pinion.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtim29 View Post
    If you’re getting a heat sink, get a fan with it. This can drop you around 15-20 degrees or so. But if you’re getting thermal shutdown, I suggest dropping a few teeth on your pinion.
    It was purchased second hand and the motor had obviously been rebuilt and fixed Multiple times. I purchased a new motor and realized how much of a difference that actually made I just want a Way to keep it a little cooler so I don't burn up another

Quote Originally Posted by Kw3277 View Post
    What happens if you unplug it?
    There's a very good chance that you will destroy the esc. Leaving it on will let it cool down properly. If you unplug it and re-plug it in, it will kick it out of thermal shutdown mode and operate as usual even if it hasn't cooled down.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    So another thought... Is 13/54 gearing stock for a Slash I can't find any charts that include 13/54 as an option

Yes

Slash-4x4-ultimate gearing

Look under: SLASH 4X4 ULTIMATE SPEED & SKILL LEVEL CHART
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 02-01-2020 at 12:30 AM.

RC Competitor
    So i purchased a new motor and instead of turning it kind of clicks even when out of the car even spinning the shaft...it makes weird grinding clicking noise when in the car... There is also Plastic smelling smoke coming out of the back by the spur gear but my spurs not burning. I'm kind of wondering if it is my clutch?