RC Racer

Traxxas Extreme heavy duty driveshafts vs heavy duty

Hello,

With the launch of the Rustler 4x4, Traxxas introduced the “extreme heavy duty” driveshafts (6851A Front / 6852A Rear).
    These are also included on the most recent release of the Slash 4x4 Ultimate.

They are - supposed to be – upgrades over the “heavy duty” driveshafts that are still used on the Stampede 4x4 and the other versions of the Slash (6851X / 6852X).

I have some spare parts laying around and I’m considering building a new 4x4 (Slash/Stampede/Rustler). Probably mostly drive on a 2S.

I need some extra driveshaft for this build.

I know that there are beefier driveshafts (MIP’s, Tekno’s, ...), but I would love to hear your opinion on the extreme vs the heavy duty shafts from Traxxas, based on your experience.

RC Competitor
    For what’s its worth, I’ve been running the extreme HD ones on my slash, on 4s. No breakage as of yet. Probably 10 runs total.

RC poster
    I broke a rear one on my Rustler 4x4 when I was jumping it. It snapped at the inner u joint.

RC Racer
    Thanks for sharing !

I think I'll skip the extrem heavy duty since I noticed that you can't buy the parts of the driveshafts seperate.
    I don't want to buy a full set every time something (like a u-joint) breaks.

RC Qualifier
    We've been running the extreme hd on our brushless 4x4 Stampede for over 6 months now with no sign of wear and I'm hoping they'll have rebuild kits at some point when it comes time but so far they've been awesome.

RC Racer
    Nice to hear !

I don't think they'll start selling a rebuild kit, they are selling these shafts for over a year now.
    To bad.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    Hello,

With the launch of the Rustler 4x4, Traxxas introduced the “extreme heavy duty” driveshafts (6851A Front / 6852A Rear).
    These are also included on the most recent release of the Slash 4x4 Ultimate.

They are - supposed to be – upgrades over the “heavy duty” driveshafts that are still used on the Stampede 4x4 and the other versions of the Slash (6851X / 6852X).

I have some spare parts laying around and I’m considering building a new 4x4 (Slash/Stampede/Rustler). Probably mostly drive on a 2S.

I need some extra driveshaft for this build.

I know that there are beefier driveshafts (MIP’s, Tekno’s, ...), but I would love to hear your opinion on the extreme vs the heavy duty shafts from Traxxas, based on your experience.
    I’m late to this thread, but from my experience the extreme heavy duty drive shafts are really good. I broke an output yoke and that was my fault, I was doing high speed wheelies on my rustler 4x4 and didn’t let off the throttle and the right rear tire hit the ground at max power, pop when the output yoke lol

Besides that, they have held up to 4s power and have not warped or stretched. They are holding up well. They are a bit pricey for just one, 12 dollars each, but they are really well made. I’d recommend them. I’m getting a set for my newest rustler VXL 2wd, the stock driveshafts are now junk from 3s on the VXL system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Besides that, they have held up to 4s power and have not warped or stretched. They are holding up well.
    That's impressive !

RC Qualifier
    That's impressive !
    I’ll get you some pics by tomorrow evening so you can see for yourself

When I bought my first set I bought 3 full sets just to have parts I didn't have to order. Knowing Traxxas any rebuild kit will cost more per axle than buying the set anyways.

First, the "extreme heavy duty" driveshafts are NOT all that 'heavy duty'...they are still plastic. If you truly want 'heavy duty', look I forget than the Traxxas CVDs, or the MIP Xtra Duty, driveshafts. These two are the only TRULY 'heavy duty' driveshafts. Just note that, not even they are "bulletproof"...there's NO such thing, despite what any manufacturer claims.

On the 'plus' side, with either (Traxxas CVD, or MIP Xtra Duty), you CAN obtain individual parts. About 8-9 months ago, while driving my Rustler 4x4 in a 'rookie' class race, the winning driver took a "victory lap"...and, upon completion of his lap, ran his vehicle straight into my right-rear wheel, snapping the axle stub exactly where the hex pin is. I called Traxxas, explained what had happened, and, since I had just purchased the driveshafts less than two weeks prior, they shipped me...no charge...a replacement axle stub. Outstanding customer service, AND easily obtainable replacement parts (Amain, RPP Hobby, direct from Traxxas, and others).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    First, the "extreme heavy duty" driveshafts are NOT all that 'heavy duty'...they are still plastic. If you truly want 'heavy duty', look I forget than the Traxxas CVDs, or the MIP Xtra Duty, driveshafts. These two are the only TRULY 'heavy duty' driveshafts. Just note that, not even they are "bulletproof"...there's NO such thing, despite what any manufacturer claims.

On the 'plus' side, with either (Traxxas CVD, or MIP Xtra Duty), you CAN obtain individual parts. About 8-9 months ago, while driving my Rustler 4x4 in a 'rookie' class race, the winning driver took a "victory lap"...and, upon completion of his lap, ran his vehicle straight into my right-rear wheel, snapping the axle stub exactly where the hex pin is. I called Traxxas, explained what had happened, and, since I had just purchased the driveshafts less than two weeks prior, they shipped me...no charge...a replacement axle stub. Outstanding customer service, AND easily obtainable replacement parts (Amain, RPP Hobby, direct from Traxxas, and others).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    For the plastic driveshafts, imo, they are pretty strong compared to standard driveshafts and that’s what makes them heavy duty.

Now if you want to throw a bit of money at steel heavy duty driveshafts go ahead. But right now the 6582a driveshafts are working out great for me and my heavy trigger finger. If and when I start destroying the heavy duty plastic driveshafts I’ll upgrade. But for what they are, they aren’t bad at all

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-19-2020 at 10:56 AM.

RC poster

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    For the plastic driveshafts, imo, they are pretty strong compared to standard driveshafts and that’s what makes them heavy duty.

Now if you want to throw a bit of money at steel heavy duty driveshafts go ahead. But right now the 6582a driveshafts are working out great for me and my heavy trigger finger. If and when I start destroying the heavy duty plastic driveshafts I’ll upgrade. But for what they are, they aren’t bad at all

I agree, they are decent. I'm with you, I don't usually replace parts until they break, or if they are a known weak point. I put aluminum axles in mine after it broke.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-19-2020 at 10:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That's impressive !
    Here you go, pics of front and rear heavy duty plastic driveshafts.

It took 6+ calls to Traxxas and conversations with several employees there to get down to details about the difference between "heavy duty","extreme heavy duty"&"cold-weather" parts. It seems most of the end-user level customer support have no real information about the differences just marketing terms to repeat. It wasn't until I arranged a return call from a next level tech support agent could I got some details.

From what I gather the new cold weather and extreme duty parts are some of the few parts using a new material mixtures that has less fiber with a slightly thicker mold and a more flexible cold temperature performance. The down side for one is that the axles can pop off easier at warmer temps but are far less likely to snap.

This was in an effort to fill a gap they saw between the steel CVD axles and the plastic heavy duty axles. Since there has been an increase in complaints about axle breakage since the upgrade to the 4-pole motors in the VXL brushless lines of vehicles.

I don't know because I couldn't get an answer to if they are planning to make the extreme duty axle the stock parts on all the VXL lines of vehicles.

RC Racer
    @zedorda - thanks for the info & the effort you did to gather it !

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience, thoughts and pictures !

RC poster
    I’ve had pretty good experience with these XHD versions for the past few months / year. I swapped over to them as the OEM ones broke. I’ve now replaced all four corners and have yet to have an XHD failure. Will see how long these last for before considering the steel route. From what I heard if you go Tenno / MIP, you have to do front and back or else it drives poorly. Could be wrong, but that adds up to a lot more than $12/corner!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffucd View Post
    I’ve had pretty good experience with these XHD versions for the past few months / year. I swapped over to them as the OEM ones broke. I’ve now replaced all four corners and have yet to have an XHD failure. Will see how long these last for before considering the steel route. From what I heard if you go Tenno / MIP, you have to do front and back or else it drives poorly. Could be wrong, but that adds up to a lot more than $12/corner!
    I’ve put 2 of the 6852a extreme heavy duty drive shafts on my second rustler VXL 2wd to replace the stock normal drive shafts. I bought it used and it looked like it was garage kept for a bit, and I think the plastic was somewhat brittle so I broke it quickly in one run on 3s along with the stock camber link, which has been replaced with rpm green camber links. But after putting on those 6852a extreme heavy duty drive shafts it’s been bullet proof.

If you’re looking for heavy duty look no farther than mip xduty. I snapped the plastic ‘heavy duty’ driveshafts on my rustler 4x4 on the third run on 3s. I just snapped my first mip xduty driveshaft on my slash 2wd.
    Nothing is bulletproof but you can try and get close

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxBash View Post
    If you’re looking for heavy duty look no farther than mip xduty. I snapped the plastic ‘heavy duty’ driveshafts on my rustler 4x4 on the third run on 3s. I just snapped my first mip xduty driveshaft on my slash 2wd.
    Nothing is bulletproof but you can try and get close

Just curious, which part of the X-Duty broke? Any pics?

RC poster
    You can buy the xhd yokes for $8 a pair and stub axles for $6 each.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Just curious, which part of the X-Duty broke? Any pics?

Granted it’s 3s with 3.2 Mx badlands and we bash it hard lol

Aha! Well that makes sense. Pretty sure you can order just that piece by itself. I would hope anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    Aha! Well that makes sense. Pretty sure you can order just that piece by itself. I would hope anyways...

Yessir $14. Well worth it too!

How old was that X-Duty axle?
    It looks like it broke at the pin in that axle.
    That is the old MPI X-Duty.
    The newer ones no longer use pins... they are now keyed.

Love that Typhon body!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 02-10-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

That's the EXACT same spot my Traxxas CVD broke on my Rusty...although, in my case, it was the right rear, as opposed to your left rear. It's seriously looking like the hex pin pass-through on the Traxxas axle stubs is A BAD "weak spot", as I've read of other's axle stubs (front, rear, left, right, doesn't matter) snapping in that exact same spot.

~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    That's the EXACT same spot my Traxxas CVD broke on my Rusty...although, in my case, it was the right rear, as opposed to your left rear. It's seriously looking like the hex pin pass-through on the Traxxas axle stubs is A BAD "weak spot", as I've read of other's axle stubs (front, rear, left, right, doesn't matter) snapping in that exact same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    How old was that X-Duty axle?
    It looks like it broke at the pin in that axle.
    That is the old MPI X-Duty.
    The newer ones no longer use pins... they are now keyed.

Love that Typhon body!
    Yup exactly. That axle was about 4 ish years old I believe. And thanks the body mods came started from you squeegie!