RC Qualifier

Project X....or should I call it project Tx?

Well, I needed a way to control the snowblower project (see other thread), so I came up with this. A cheap 3 channel pistol grip was stripped and will be re-installed with new knobs, etc., in a housing that will bolt onto the battery cover of my stock Traxxas pistol grip. It will have its own battery and obviously is a completely independent radio system. This will give me 2 potentiometer controlled channels and a single up/down button channel. When the winter leaves (although it is 65 today in the northeast) I will re-purpose the radio to control other vehicle add-ons, like winches, and another special project that I will keep quiet about for now....

Second revision to first printed version is on the PRusa now....here is screen shot from slicer application:

RC Qualifier
    Gutted this:

RC Qualifier
    And will put useful contents into something like this:

RC Qualifier
    The first rev housing with lid:

Re-used trim/adjustment label:

RC Qualifier
    Should look something like this when completed:

RC Qualifier
    The revised housing is due out of the printer later today, and hopefully things will go together properly this time. I will post more later! I think this is going to be a nice addition to this truck, which has SO much potential!

I know I could have just bought another radio with more channels, but I like the Traxxas radio, and I like a good project too!

RC Qualifier
    I mounted and tested the radio gear tonight....had to......cold crisp powdery snow tonight in the northeast!

I have to make knobs and some pushbuttons now, and mount a rechargeable battery pack internally, but it works for tonight's snow blowing challenge!

Left potentiometer raises and lowers blower. Right pot turns on auger. The two empty button holes will hold buttons that allow the chute to be rotated. The servo has been modified to allow continuous rotation by removing the small dowel pin that prevents the gears from rotating, and removing the servo potentiometer control lines and replaced them with a resistor-divider of two 2.4kohm resistors with a center connection. There are lots of videos and posts online describing how to do this.

Last edited by ben1272; 01-18-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Schweet... following...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Nice work !

RC Qualifier
    Thank you. I have a few planned revisions to this, and they are in the pipeline. Without any snow in the northeast the snowblower has not been needed, so attention is turned to some other projects. I will post the progress as soon as I have something to show. I do have plans for this radio expansion probably first as a winch controller. But then I have a couple of other ideas.

Someone over on RCC found your build...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...els-radio.html
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Not sure if this would work for you. I hated replacing batteries all the time so I did this for a rechargable battery pack, I know it's 7.4v but it's been working great for over 1 1/2 yrs.. A slot on your tx to slide it into might look better then the pack you have attached to the bottom of your tx.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...OOTH-RADIO-SET

RC Qualifier
    RD, thanks for the link. My plan is to put the pack inside the housing, probably using primary AA batteries versus rechargeable. The cover comes off easy with 4 screws. I have some knobs printed now, but I made them too big. You can see them in the video link of the snowblower thread. I'll post more soon.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    RD, thanks for the link. My plan is to put the pack inside the housing, probably using primary AA batteries versus rechargeable. The cover comes off easy with 4 screws. I have some knobs printed now, but I made them too big. You can see them in the video link of the snowblower thread. I'll post more soon.
    I've been following both your threads, very awesome looking, your a talented individual, looking forward to more.

RC Qualifier
    GS...you'll see me over there on rccrawlers now. I'll post some new projects over there that are not Traxxas centric. I'd probably get in trouble posting them here!

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered some AA and AAA battery holders from amazon. I should have them to try and fit tomorrow.

I also just wired up my winch for control with the snowblower ESC......works great. I just need to figure out now how to get my knobs to stay locked at center when not in use. As it is, the knob is way to easy to accidentally hit and cause the winch to turn on. I need a magnet to hold it at center, or a mechanical feature/detente of some sort. Back to the drawing board.

RC Qualifier
    For winching duty, dont need a regular large size pack, so I will use this small NiMH pack. It will sit in the same battery tray with an adpater that I havent made yet.

RC Champion
    Is it possible to make the knobs so that you pull out to turn left or right and push in for a center lock, or like our tx's steering knob add a spring so that it goes back to center. Probably way off base but it's just my thoughts.

RC Qualifier
    What I like about that idea is that it would be harder to accidentally twist the knob if you had to pull it out to use it. Good idea! I will think about that a bit.

RC Racer
    Stuff like what you're doing here is why this hobby is so rad...creativity finding a way to solve problems. Keep it up.

By the way, I don't even have a TRX4. I cruised this forum because no one ever posts in the UDR forum.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Fallen.

I have a UDR, and love it. It is probaby my most favorite RC of all time so far. If Traxxas made a UDR sized TRX-4, I might have a new most favorite. But for now, the UDR rules. I just wish I had friends with a UDR around here who I could hang with.