RC Racer

Gearing down my 8s X-Maxx

While working on winch powered snowplow project Ben1272 asked about my gearing...
    I knew nothing about lowering or raising gearing so I went to the school of Google and did some research.
    I am now running on stock metal 54t spur gear and lowered the pinion gear from 18 to 16t .
    Huge difference! On take off, it isn't reaching for the sky anymore.
    So really, thanks for the tip Ben (and I am really jealous of your snowblower project as well as your transmitter project!!)
    This new gearing also gave me the power I was missing on takeoff to pull 2 of my 3 sons around on their sled... not sure who thinks its cooler, me or my kids lol

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    hah, that's awesome! I wasnt sure if you could get gears to gear it down, but it is good to know! I am still planning to get me XMAXX....it is just taking longer than I hoped!

Thanks for the kudos!

RC Racer
    Any chance someone has an idea how this happened?
    Since I lowered the pinion gear I have run about an hour, mostly plowing. I moved the pinion pins to correspond to my setup...16t/54t.

So before I go out and replace the spur gear, any suggestions for better quality brand for this part? Whoever said simply "metal is better" was wrong in this case lol

Also, I guess my X-Maxx will be down for a while as I now have to take much of it apart to get out all those broken metal teeth.
    Should be fun

RC Champion
    WOW, I have no clue on how that happened. These come highly recommended by quite a few of the forum guy's, but do your home work on sellers you might find them cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/GDS-Racing-Mo.../dp/B01EFCFBNE
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GDS-Racing-4...-/283443830167

Funny, I've always seen when you lower your gear ratio that you have a better chance of popping wheelies. Anyway, to answer your question; it sounds like you are using the stock pin system for adjusting your gearing mesh. If true, I'd consider going to a motor mount, and hand adjusting your gearing mesh.

I'd do this for two reasons: One, because it a better way to do it (if you know how), and two, because you are towing your youngsters around with your Xmaxx. An Xmaxx isn't really designed for that, so if you want to do it, it's important to be "dead nuts" with all your maintenance and adjustments to eliminate (or at least minimize) any weaknesses in your Xmaxx.
    Die a man, than live like a Traxxas unmentionable.

Also their is no slipper clutch system. There really is no protection from sudden stopping of the tires while under power. You found the weak spot of your driveline. You are plowing with it (Causes extra stress,wear and tear). While moving along (plowing) the whole driveline is turning, when you hit the end of where you plowed that is a shock to the drive line. The stress of plowing is similar to the self-righting feature. If you upgrade the spur gears you could move the weak spot farther down the driveline.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Also their is no slipper clutch system. There really is no protection from sudden stopping of the tires while under power. You found the weak spot of your driveline. You are plowing with it (Causes extra stress,wear and tear). While moving along (plowing) the whole driveline is turning, when you hit the end of where you plowed that is a shock to the drive line. The stress of plowing is similar to the self-righting feature. If you upgrade the spur gears you could move the weak spot farther down the driveline.

Looking at the condition of the spur gear, that really makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna check my LHS to see if they have a spur gear to match the pinion gear I changed... It doesn't even have a scratch on it so I assume it's stronger than the stock material.
    It gave me the reason to take it all apart for the first time. Took me 8 hours to completely strip, clean and reassemble slash 4x4... can't wait to see how long for x-maxx
    I swear upon reassembly there won't be any additional upgrades...

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Funny, I've always seen when you lower your gear ratio that you have a better chance of popping wheelies. Anyway, to answer your question; it sounds like you are using the stock pin system for adjusting your gearing mesh. If true, I'd consider going to a motor mount, and hand adjusting your gearing mesh.

I'd do this for two reasons: One, because it a better way to do it (if you know how), and two, because you are towing your youngsters around with your Xmaxx. An Xmaxx isn't really designed for that, so if you want to do it, it's important to be "dead nuts" with all your maintenance and adjustments to eliminate (or at least minimize) any weaknesses in your Xmaxx.
    When researching the gearing this is what I took out of it...
    It seems counter intuitive when looking at the result of lowering/raising gears vs. Type of surfaces each should be done for.
    So I kinda guessed and chose lowering it due to the driving style of plowing and the terrain.
    So logically faster acc and less top speed would lead me to beleive it would pop wheelies. But it was a good guess because it really smoother out the torque on takeoff.

Last edited by Double G; 01-28-2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by B-stinga View Post
    When researching the gearing this is what I took out of it...
    It seems counter intuitive when looking at the result of lowering/raising gears vs. Type of surfaces each should be done for.
    So I kinda guessed and chose lowering it due to the driving style of plowing and the terrain.
    So logically faster acc and less top speed would lead me to beleive it would pop wheelies. But it was a good guess because it really smoother out the torque on takeoff.
    Your paper looks correct to me. Plus, if I was doing with my Xmaxx what you are, I (like you) would lower my gearing too. And, like I said above (and, what your notes show with "Instant Acceleration"), lower gearing ratio's gives you a better chance of popping wheelies. (IMO) you're on the right path by keeping your gearing low and getting a stronger spur gear. The only thing that can stop you (IMO) is if no one makes gears strong enough for what you are wanting to do with your Xmaxx.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-27-2020 at 04:15 PM.

I would also set my gear mesh myself. The motor mount pins that set the gear mesh tend to be on the looser side. For the "work or fun" you put through your X-Maxx the gears would greatly benefit with a tighter setup rather than the preset settings.

RC Qualifier
    I used to plow with a cj5 jeep (full size) and the plow had large springs that allowed it to break away when it encountered something it couldnt move, like potholes, concrete edges/curb, ice, etc. The whole plow blade folded on a pivot to skip over the obstruction. Maybe this would be good to have on your plow to?

I guess I am curious if the destruction was a result of the gears being not perfectly meshed, or if it was the wear and tear of the plowing. We have all seen XMAXX trucks doing such crazy stuff that I am surprised that plowing would have wrecked that gear.

Good luck with the rebuild, it should be fun! I love poking around inside these things. Almost always learn something new!

I would also set my gear mesh myself. The motor mount pins that set the gear mesh tend to be on the looser side. For the "work or fun" you put through your X-Maxx the gears would greatly benefit with a tighter setup rather than the preset settings.
    I'm like you Grizzles (reply #5), I think manually setting your gear mesh is better too.

I did not think I worded it well enough in agreeing with you when I started with "Also" (post #6). I'm in total agreement w/you.

The pin system is good for those that have trouble with setting the gear mesh. But it really is better to manually set them up if your able to (Too many manufacturing tolerances).

RC Racer
    I wonder if it could be due to overheating... I found a few of these little chunks when looking for broken teeth, they feel like melted metal.

Impressive! But, they are probably melted plastic. To see if they are metal, use a magnet and see if they stick to it. Should check to see where it came from, possibly from the gear covers.

RC Racer
    Impressive! But, they are probably melted plastic. To see if they are metal, use a magnet and see if they stick to it. Should check to see where it came from, possibly from the gear covers.
    Good call, looks like it did come from gear cover.

RC poster
    My gear mesh was tight with pins so I got shim paper from my machine shop an shimmer up motor mounts to pull gear up an out just enough to free up gear mesh. Has been working since week two xmaxx came out.

I did not think I worded it well enough in agreeing with you when I started with "Also" (post #6). I'm in total agreement w/you.

The pin system is good for those that have trouble with setting the gear mesh. But it really is better to manually set them up if your able to (Too many manufacturing tolerances).
    You're being way to hard on yourself. (lol) All kidding aside, I thought you did a good job with both posts 6 and 12.

BeeSting you're a sick pup. What kind of a twisted mind would take a picture of squirrel poop, and then post it. Oh, it's melted plastic...never mind. (lol)
    Last edited by Double G; 01-29-2020 at 08:41 AM.

RC Racer
    Any chance someone has an idea how this happened?
    Since I lowered the pinion gear I have run about an hour, mostly plowing. I moved the pinion pins to correspond to my setup...16t/54t.

So before I go out and replace the spur gear, any suggestions for better quality brand for this part? Whoever said simply "metal is better" was wrong in this case lol

Also, I guess my X-Maxx will be down for a while as I now have to take much of it apart to get out all those broken metal teeth.
    Should be fun

Most likely not even close to the same as yours .. but my spur has broken before - the pinion was loose causing it to sit unevenly on the pinion. From there, leverage took care of the rest. I like the conversation so far - some very good thoughts on what happened.
    Last edited by TraxxasTigger; 01-29-2020 at 09:00 AM.

RC Racer
    After removing just rear bulkhead, and shaking both parts of the truck, I found a few of the missing teeth...

Here is the question (I am afraid of the answer):
    Do I need to go as far as opening the diffs to see if any got in?
    This all seems so daunting right now simply because I want to be out there with it...not having it sit on a table, but I digress

RC Champion
    Highly unlikely they got into the diff's, they would of had to pass by the bearings. You should be good to go.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Highly unlikely they got into the diff's, they would of had to pass by the bearings. You should be good to go.
    Opened up the rear and you are correct, it did not get passed the cush drive.
    Time to try a new spur and see if it was the spur, the mesh or simply the plowing that caused the problem

RC Champion
    Not sure how the HR gears will hold up compared to the GDS I posted links to above, future testing will tell the tale. Looking forward to your reveiw on it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Not sure how the HR gears will hold up compared to the GDS I posted links to above, future testing will tell the tale. Looking forward to your reveiw on it.
    I went with HR simply because they had it in stock at my LHS.
    But the ebay link you sent is also very interesting; 3 spurs for that price seems like a great deal. If the HR fails, I will definetly go try the GDS

You could always try using the slipper clutch setup from the 6s X-Maxx for winter duties and switch back to the cush-drive when not needed. The clutch would help with the shock loads of sudden impact when plowing and the jerking when towing the kids on their sleds.

Traxxas also sells wide face spur gears. Part# 6449R is 54T, part# 6448R is 50T, and part# 6447R is 46T. They look to be thicker than the stock spur gears, which should be stronger.

RC Racer
    Do you guys think this shows a good mesh?

https://youtu.be/Mfye5xOomhI