Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    19004
    Posts
    83

    Truck is really slow on a fresh battery

    Brushless 4x4 Stampede. ESC light is solid green, receiver is flashing red. That usually suggests that the transmitter isnít paired, but in my case the truck responds to throttle and steering input, itís just slow, like itís stuck in training mode. Any thoughts? A couple days ago the truck refused to turn on, which is making me think itís an ESC issue.

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    57
    Try calibrating the tx forward and reverse throttle positions.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,467
    How old is it?

    Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    19004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by lcback View Post
    Try calibrating the tx forward and reverse throttle positions.
    The calibration fails to complete.

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    19004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    How old is it?

    Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Got it used, no idea honestly. Has the older style TRX plug for the battery. Truck was in amazing shape when I bought it, but anything is possible.

    I'm leaning toward the ESC being dead for sure. Next question is what do I replace it with? Seems the world is my oyster for brushless combos, but where I run the truck will involve mud and moisture, so the next setup has to be waterproof yet.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,809
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
    Got it used, no idea honestly. Has the older style TRX plug for the battery. Truck was in amazing shape when I bought it, but anything is possible.

    I'm leaning toward the ESC being dead for sure. Next question is what do I replace it with? Seems the world is my oyster for brushless combos, but where I run the truck will involve mud and moisture, so the next setup has to be waterproof yet.
    Go with hobbywing for a basher. Upsize the capacity. In other words if itís 1/10 scale car, go with 1/8 scale esc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Gatineau
    Posts
    23
    I just went thru the search for an ESC last week and I must say there is ALOT of choice!! I ended buying the Hobbywing MAX10 ESC combo. It comes with a 3652 motor at 3300Kv. This motor has the original shaft size and can be used with your current pinion gear and I've been told that it's just a bit more powerful than velineon.

    If you go with the MAX10 SCT combo, it come with a 3660 motor and a 5mm shaft. You would then need to buy new pinion gear to go on it.

    As for performance, that is for you to decide if you want to spend a bit more or not.

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    19004
    Posts
    83
    I ended up with a new Traxxas ESC off of eBay, which then touched off another round of strange issues.

    In the end, I was able to get the motor to respond to the ESC by switching receivers with yet another of my vehicles. All of my cars are now responding to control correctly.

    Of course, I then discovered some deeper issues with my P4de when the slipper stopped working. Basically going to have to redo everything drive line related that's not the motor.

    Progress, I guess.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
    Brushless 4x4 Stampede. ESC light is solid green, receiver is flashing red. That usually suggests that the transmitter isnít paired, but in my case the truck responds to throttle and steering input, itís just slow, like itís stuck in training mode. Any thoughts? A couple days ago the truck refused to turn on, which is making me think itís an ESC issue.
    When I have seen this, it's one of the trims that are off center. You just need to recenter it - and done. Once the light stops flashing, then recalibrate.

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    19004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTigger View Post
    When I have seen this, it's one of the trims that are off center. You just need to recenter it - and done. Once the light stops flashing, then recalibrate.
    That would be a fine suggestion, if I hadn't already tried that multiple times...

  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    129
    Agreed - but I didn't see that mentioned. I did see that you recalibrated but it could be different if the red led blinks while trying to calibrate. On my slash, I had to reset the trims to stop the LED from blinking - and then recalibrate.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,467
    My slipper stopped working within a few weeks of purchasing one 5yrs ago. That can be expected if its stock and you run alot. So may not need to redo everything just adjust slipper.

    Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    19004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    My slipper stopped working within a few weeks of purchasing one 5yrs ago. That can be expected if its stock and you run alot. So may not need to redo everything just adjust slipper.

    Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    It feels like there's a drag in the diffs at both ends. Never had it apart, going to do a service and replace anything I find to be broken. Will adjust the slipper then.

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    I said that right before I bought the 2nd one. I ain't stopped yet.


  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
    It feels like there's a drag in the diffs at both ends. Never had it apart, going to do a service and replace anything I find to be broken. Will adjust the slipper then.
    Depending on the weight of oil in the diff, you should feel drag. The heavier the oil, the more drag there is.

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    19004
    Posts
    83
    Update time.

    The drive line drag was a bad seized bearing at the slipper. I can't believe I didn't think to look at it before. Anyways, I replaced it (have an aluminum cone thing showing up today because the plastic one was melted, actually bought one for each of my 4x4s). I also went ahead and rebuilt both diffs front and rear. Glitter sludge is gone. Truck is awesome again.

    That leaves only my brushed 4x4 Stampede and my 1/16 Slash as not having recently redone diffs, the mini Slash is starting to get noisy and draggy, so it's next on the list for a complete teardown.
    Last edited by BlueTrane2028; 01-29-2020 at 09:27 AM.

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    129
    This is good to hear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •