RC Competitor

Truck is really slow on a fresh battery

Brushless 4x4 Stampede. ESC light is solid green, receiver is flashing red. That usually suggests that the transmitter isnít paired, but in my case the truck responds to throttle and steering input, itís just slow, like itís stuck in training mode. Any thoughts? A couple days ago the truck refused to turn on, which is making me think itís an ESC issue.

RC Competitor
    Try calibrating the tx forward and reverse throttle positions.

How old is it?

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by lcback View Post
    Try calibrating the tx forward and reverse throttle positions.
    The calibration fails to complete.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    How old is it?

Got it used, no idea honestly. Has the older style TRX plug for the battery. Truck was in amazing shape when I bought it, but anything is possible.

I'm leaning toward the ESC being dead for sure. Next question is what do I replace it with? Seems the world is my oyster for brushless combos, but where I run the truck will involve mud and moisture, so the next setup has to be waterproof yet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
    Got it used, no idea honestly. Has the older style TRX plug for the battery. Truck was in amazing shape when I bought it, but anything is possible.

I'm leaning toward the ESC being dead for sure. Next question is what do I replace it with? Seems the world is my oyster for brushless combos, but where I run the truck will involve mud and moisture, so the next setup has to be waterproof yet.
    Go with hobbywing for a basher. Upsize the capacity. In other words if itís 1/10 scale car, go with 1/8 scale esc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I just went thru the search for an ESC last week and I must say there is ALOT of choice!! I ended buying the Hobbywing MAX10 ESC combo. It comes with a 3652 motor at 3300Kv. This motor has the original shaft size and can be used with your current pinion gear and I've been told that it's just a bit more powerful than velineon.

If you go with the MAX10 SCT combo, it come with a 3660 motor and a 5mm shaft. You would then need to buy new pinion gear to go on it.

As for performance, that is for you to decide if you want to spend a bit more or not.

RC Competitor
    I ended up with a new Traxxas ESC off of eBay, which then touched off another round of strange issues.

In the end, I was able to get the motor to respond to the ESC by switching receivers with yet another of my vehicles. All of my cars are now responding to control correctly.

Of course, I then discovered some deeper issues with my P4de when the slipper stopped working. Basically going to have to redo everything drive line related that's not the motor.

Progress, I guess.

RC Racer
    Brushless 4x4 Stampede. ESC light is solid green, receiver is flashing red. That usually suggests that the transmitter isnít paired, but in my case the truck responds to throttle and steering input, itís just slow, like itís stuck in training mode. Any thoughts? A couple days ago the truck refused to turn on, which is making me think itís an ESC issue.
    When I have seen this, it's one of the trims that are off center. You just need to recenter it - and done. Once the light stops flashing, then recalibrate.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTigger View Post
    When I have seen this, it's one of the trims that are off center. You just need to recenter it - and done. Once the light stops flashing, then recalibrate.
    That would be a fine suggestion, if I hadn't already tried that multiple times...

RC Racer
    Agreed - but I didn't see that mentioned. I did see that you recalibrated but it could be different if the red led blinks while trying to calibrate. On my slash, I had to reset the trims to stop the LED from blinking - and then recalibrate.

My slipper stopped working within a few weeks of purchasing one 5yrs ago. That can be expected if its stock and you run alot. So may not need to redo everything just adjust slipper.

Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    My slipper stopped working within a few weeks of purchasing one 5yrs ago. That can be expected if its stock and you run alot. So may not need to redo everything just adjust slipper.

It feels like there's a drag in the diffs at both ends. Never had it apart, going to do a service and replace anything I find to be broken. Will adjust the slipper then.

RC Racer
    I said that right before I bought the 2nd one. I ain't stopped yet.

RC Racer
    It feels like there's a drag in the diffs at both ends. Never had it apart, going to do a service and replace anything I find to be broken. Will adjust the slipper then.
    Depending on the weight of oil in the diff, you should feel drag. The heavier the oil, the more drag there is.

RC Competitor
    Update time.

The drive line drag was a bad seized bearing at the slipper. I can't believe I didn't think to look at it before. Anyways, I replaced it (have an aluminum cone thing showing up today because the plastic one was melted, actually bought one for each of my 4x4s). I also went ahead and rebuilt both diffs front and rear. Glitter sludge is gone. Truck is awesome again.

That leaves only my brushed 4x4 Stampede and my 1/16 Slash as not having recently redone diffs, the mini Slash is starting to get noisy and draggy, so it's next on the list for a complete teardown.
    Last edited by BlueTrane2028; 01-29-2020 at 09:27 AM.

RC Racer
    This is good to hear.