RC poster

Noob with steering servo query, water in tyres, GTR shocks question & holes in shell

Hi all Iím a recent RC returner having been out of the game for 30 years or so - just bought a Rusty VXL and my son is on for a TRX-4 this week for his birthday so really enjoying our new family hobby!

Didnít know what protocol is with more than one question/repeat posts so have 4 here in 1 post.

My steering servo is a bit off (out of the box) Iíve had to turn the trim to about 14:00 - is that acceptable long term or should I strip it down and try to recalibrate? Looks pretty tucked away under there!

Iíve noticed the Rustler tyres are taking on water from the puddle runs weíve done - hard to avoid this time of year. Iíve just been squeezing it out best I can thru the little holes after a run but thereís still some in there. Is there a better method? Read positive/negatives about drilling more holes in tyres.

Also upgraded the shocks recently to GTRs as was fed up with the caps pinging off and thought Iíd treat myself for Christmas! Iíve got the fronts about half way and backs about a 1/3 - does that sound like a good starting point? Weíre only just finding our feet so not doing any major bashing just yet.

And a cosmetic one - managed to make holes in the shell already where itís landed upside down and top of shocks have punched thru - is there anything recommend to repair or just live with it and stickers!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1: You can take the link off the servo and adjust it as necessary - if you want.

2: Best way to get water out is small holes in the middle of the tires. Or don't drive through puddles.

3: Shock and spring set up is how you desire. If one side or the front or back are not responding how you want then adjust the preload.

4: Mesh drywall tape and Shoe Goo.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    1: You can take the link off the servo and adjust it as necessary - if you want.

2: Best way to get water out is small holes in the middle of the tires. Or don't drive through puddles.

3: Shock and spring set up is how you desire. If one side or the front or back are not responding how you want then adjust the preload.

4: Mesh drywall tape and Shoe Goo.
    Thank you Double G much obliged. So steering servo wear not something to worry about? It does make a constant small whine presume itís fighting against being off centre.

Everything is soaking round my way at the mo so puddle avoidance is a challenge, Iíll get my sharp point ready

Shoe goo! Never would of thought about that - Iíll hit amazon up

This is a stampede body but you get the idea. It made my bodies go from couple of months to lasting a year or more. All my tires have holes drilled in them. Make sure not to pull foam out or bunch it up inside tire when drilling. Some use a soldering iron to make holes. I use a drill.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-13-2020 at 06:29 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

You can use a piece of small brass tubing sharpened up in a dremel to cut a nice clean hole in the tires. I use a drill bit usually though at high speed in my dremel with light pressure. Then it burns a clean hole without jagged edges in it. I always put at least 2 holes on opposing sides of the tire (6 and 12 like a clock) in the center of the tread in the middle of a large lug if I can.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Enthusiast
    They do sell some sliders for the body or an exocage - kinda wish I had that from the get-go as my body is pretty worn at all 4 corners where the shock towers are.

I set the shocks so the a-arms are parallel with the ground when the car is static, YMMV.

RC poster
    Thanks guys Iíve ordered the tape - thatís a nice job youíve done there in the shell - very tidy!

I didnít realise there was an additional exo skeleton, I too would of had that from the off!

Just took delivery of my Ebay front and rear lights from murat rc. Look great and nice fit.

RC Enthusiast
    I put the T Bone Racing exoskeleton on mine. It looks great and has come in handy many times over! Even with all the time it's spent on its lid it still isn't scratched at all.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    I put the T Bone Racing exoskeleton on mine. It looks great and has come in handy many times over! Even with all the time it's spent on its lid it still isn't scratched at all.
    That looks a great product - thanks for letting me know. Might even hide my soon to be home repairs under it!

Love those lights for rusty 4x4!

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    The water in the tires thing is my problem too, could i just stick tape over the holes on my stock rustler 4x4 tires before water runs or do i have to drill holes?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendarose View Post
    The water in the tires thing is my problem too, could i just stick tape over the holes on my stock rustler 4x4 tires before water runs or do i have to drill holes?
    Iíve made small holes in tyres with a heated small jewellers screwdriver and squeezed them - water came from wheel hole and my punched hole - havenít had chance to do the fast run method yet as we have a new edition to the family aka my sons Ď ahemí birthday present that took up our time this weekend!

Took my wet learns from the Rustler knowing full well the kids would want to take it padding and taped the TRX4 wheel holes - worked like a dream.