RC poster

Front locking diff issue.

So I bought a used TRX4 and everything works fine, however the front locking diff only works some of the time. it seems that the servo is working and adjusted, I took the front housing apart and everything is intact. still it only locks when it wants to any ideas what to look for or try to fix..
    Last edited by harley75; 01-13-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Make sure there is not a kink in the control cable.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Or the servo is stripped in one small spot and causing the shift to not engage all the way.

RC Qualifier
    Assuming the servo is OK, did the previous owner by any chance pack the diff housing with a lot of grease (possibly sticky marine grease)?
    It should only take minimum force to move the locking slider/fork to engage and disengage the diff lock. Too much grease may cause stiction on the sliding action.
    I suggest you clean out the diff housing and sliding locker and only apply grease to the ring gear upon assembly (unless you plan to submerge your TRX-4 on a regular basis - then I suggest you buy a submarine...).

See the assembly manual for the kit version, page 11-13:
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...Manual-WEB.pdf

Generally, the front diff lock mechanism will require more frequent maintenance since water and dust gets in through the open end on the axle housing.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Viking; 01-14-2020 at 07:19 AM.

RC poster
    I have checked all those things and there was little to no grease in the housing. The fork seems to hang up and not always engage. Almost like a burr or something keeping it from engaging until the wheels spins just right for it to fall in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Mine always takes a small amount of wheel rotation to engage too, that is expected/normal. If you drive around and it still wont engage, somethings definitely wrong.