Servos: Hitec vs Savox

First, just wanna say, this will be posted in the Traxxas forums as well as the RCC forums, so those who frequent both don't really need to reply in both. Anyway, here goes.....

I've been using Hitec servos for many years, starting when I was flying RC helicopters. Since getting back into ground-based vehicles a little over a year ago, I've mostly stuck with the same brand. I do have some Futaba servos in a couple of vehicles, and...yes...a Savox in another. I'll let it be known that I purposefully try to avoid Spektrum servos, as there is the known occasional "conflicts" with Futaba receivers.

Getting to the question at hand, I've noticed less and less people appear to be using the Hitec servos, and more and more people appear to be using the Savox servos. When I got rid of all my RC helicopters (approx 10yrs ago), Hitec servos were still considered to be among the best, and I hadn't even heard of Savox. Yet, now, even my LHS stocks almost entirely nothing but Savox. Although the difference is minimal, even Amain and RPP both stock more Savox servos than they do Hitec servos.

Are Savox servos truly that great, to deserve 95% of the servo space at my LHS? Or, is it just that my LHS is trying to push Savox servos over any other brand, just as they do with Sanwa transmitters? Are there any truly valid reasons why I should consider switching brands...and, if so, what are they? Or, would I be better off sticking with Hitec, and why?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    A lot of hobby shops are limited to what their distributor sells, any retailer rarely buys direct. That being said, i have bought quite a few Savox and i'm very happy with them.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I have thought about this myself and from the research I have done by comparing two servos of equal specs are what is more important to you and personal preference. Biggest difference for me is Hitec seem to require less power (are more efficient) than Savox to attain torque specs. Savox seem to be power hungry. Savox are cheaper than Hitec. Savox also make servos under other names (servo brands).

Be careful on starting "this vs that" threads.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 01-13-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I have thought about this myself and from the research I have done by comparing two servos of equal specs are what is more important to you and personal preference. Biggest difference for me is Hitec seem to require less power (are more efficient) than Savox to attain torque specs. Savox seem to be power hungry. Savox are cheaper than Hitec. Savox also make servos under other names (servo brands).

Be careful on starting "this vs that" threads.
    First, in all honesty, I've found most "A vs B" threads to be insightful, and helpful. I've read quite a few, posted on several, and have even created a few. Yes, you'll always end up with a few 'fanboys' (or girls) of one, be or the other, but, for the most part, enough honest info gets posted to not only help the OP, but, more importantly, to help others curious about the same thing.

Second...and, proving what I just said...while I was already aware of the price differences, I wasn't aware of the power info, or that Savox sells servos under other brands names. I am, however, aware that various Hitec products (not sure if servos are included in this) are also sold under different brands names..or, to be more specific, Hitec, in addition to being a 'vendor', is also an OEM. One example would be some of the Hitec chargers, of which you'll find being sold under a few different brand names (including the Horizon Hobby-owned "Dynamite" brand).

I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one who didn't know Savox servos can also be found under other brands names...thus, you just provided some helpful info that others will probably be slow to use in making a servo-brand decision. Thank you.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíve got experience with Savox, PowerHD, and Traxxas. Iíve had traxxas and PowerHD fail. Savox is loud(centering loud)and not as hungry as people keep saying. My 1258tg is super fast and super strong for a 2wd application, running on a stock Castle MMX onboard BEC. The Savox 2290SG takes the place of 1/5 scale traxxas servo, and its a standard size with almost double the torque and faster, almost double price, but whoís counting. The PowerHD I got for my P4de has been awesome, after I upgraded from a cheaper Hd model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I donít know how others do but I have no issue running the savox 1258tg on stock vxl3s esc. The vxl6s work great with the 1256tg, I am even running a 1270 with a vxl-6s running the udr motor on an Tekno extended monster truck build without problems.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I donít know how others do but I have no issue running the savox 1258tg on stock vxl3s esc. The vxl6s work great with the 1256tg, I am even running a 1270 with a vxl-6s running the udr motor on an Tekno extended monster truck build without problems.
    I think things are heard, and spread, without any actual knowledge of the application. That being said, there are plenty of videos where Savox is less efficient than there competitors. Is this inefficiency necessarily bad, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    This is apples to apples but I had a Hi-tec mini in my 1/16 revo when I got it and started pulling to the right no mister how often I mechanically centered the horn or re trimmed it . Then it let out a puff of smoke. This is not an indictment of the product. I have no idea what the previous owner did to it. It worked like a champ when it did work.
    I also have a Savox in my 2wd slash, it is fast and has a ton of torque.

RC poster
    The stock servo is quite capable and a good little servo. However you can make it better by installing an $18 metal gear upgrade. Which just uses your stock servo housing and replaces the internal plastic gears with metal.

RC Qualifier
    Imo I love both so far. I use both savox and hitec. Both have been great. No problems with either. I look for whatever I need spec wise with a servo and so far to date pick between these two. My fav lhs mostly sticks savox. The other lhs stocks both. I've got friends that buy the cheap Chinese metal servos and they stand behind them.

RC Competitor
    I went through a similar battle a year or so ago for my 1/8th scale e-revo (prev gen) - one of the stock ones stripped so i thought it best to do a conversion to a single servo setup to avoid a repeat failure and personally, i just didn't see the value in buying the metal gear upgrades to fix them...

Folks I knew pushed savox hard - i too had hung up things years ago and then got back in to it only to learn the same as you that savox took over the servo world...

What my research revealed was that while some savox models are more power hungry than others and in some rare cases do not out perform like-for-like models - if you searched the various versions - you could find a savox that would outperform most anything - but at a steep cost...

enter powerhd - for kicks and giggles (and perhaps being a tad cheap) i ended up with a powerhd unit - took me a more than a minute to find the right one, but overall - it draws less and sports faster speeds, maintains accuracy and has considerably more torque than the savox, hi-tech or traxxas it replaced - the issue for me was "but who are they?" and more than that "is this a cheap knock off brand, is it gonna fail prematurely"?

So far, the answer has been "NO" - **** sturdy, still fast, not a power hog and waaayyy more torque (this single vs the traxxas double) - which made turning in (instead of push through) - a reality with my revo setup...

the moral of this story is, sometimes - you have to just make sure to carefully compare the specs and then take a leap of faith - and try for yourself to come to your own conclusions - for me, i was being cheap but wanted a lot more power without sacrificing other things - the numbers looked good - so i tried it - and i like it - suffice to say, i'd buy another powerhd if i had another project - but again - they make lower end models and higher end models - and like with any line - sometimes you get what you pay for - in the case of powerhd - i got way more than i paid for which = happy consumer :-)

RC Champion
    Donít leave out the Reefís Triple 4 or Triple 5 servos. Thereís a YouTube vid floating around that shows the massive power they can produce. Not cheap though.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro