Thread: Is this okay?

RC poster

Is this okay?

I just bought a Rustler and it didn't come with batteries so I decided to get my own. I got a 3s 4000mah 11.1 v battery with the fast charger. Is this battery too much for the electronics or spur gear? BTW, the rustler is the 2wd 1/10

RC poster
    As long as it's a VXL, should be fine. Make sure low voltage cutout is active (green light on ESC). You will probably overheat the ESC after 10 or 15 minutes (rapid flashing red light on ESC), so I would recommend an ESC fan. It will probably be uncontrollably fast even with stock gearing. I'd also recommend a wheelie bar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is the Rustler the XL-5 or the VXL? If the brushed system the max it can take is 2s.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    The model is just the xl-5, so I think I will get a different battery. Are there any cheap esc's I can get to fix this problem?
    Last edited by anroane; 01-14-2020 at 07:03 PM.

The only problem is you got a battery the ESC is not designed to handle. Once you are used to the brushed system or one of the component fails, get a brushless system.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    You’ll need to find a good 2s battery for the current esc you are using. The XL5 is rated for 2s Max. Your 3s battery won’t work with the current electronics. You’ll need a new motor and esc If you want to use the battery you have now. On 3s your rustler will be pretty fast so as said, but you’ll need to get something that will handle 3s. I would get used to how the vehicle handles and behaves, and then upgrade to a brushless system.

RC poster
    Okay, I returned the 3s and got a the fast dual charger and two 2s's 7.4 v