RC poster

Slash 2WD Ultra Shock Upgrade for fun

I have the stock Ultra shock on a 2WD Slash on there now and they are wayyy to soft, even running spacers. Still running stock 30 wt oil. Purchased a set of Hot Racing spring kit (soft, medium, firm) and can't find spring rate's anywhere for these. Only bummer is it appears LOSI discontinued their springs for the ultra's that actually mentioned what spring rate they were. Any other good springs out there AND does anyone have any recommendations they can throw out for Hot Racing Springs and Oil weight (color spring / weight of oil Front & Rear). Mainly hard packed, street, and BASHING. Looking for a setup that works over some bumps but can still take 3-5 foot jump landings and not bottom out so hard. Figured I'd have some fun with these before upgarding to GTR's eventually but would appreciate any advice from anyone who's run those springs.
    Thank you

RC Qualifier
    Go up to 40 weight in your shocks.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC poster
    That is probably the most basic answer and I know they won't be Big Bores or GTR's but trying to come as close for now. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Go up to 40 weight in your shocks.

Yes, what he said. Also, if it is in your budget, a lot of people keep the stock ultras and put aluminum caps on them

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    Yes, what he said. Also, if it is in your budget, a lot of people keep the stock ultras and put aluminum caps on them

I could not agree more! When i first got my slash, every time i had a tiny or mini crash (nothing breaks) and hit something face first the plastic caps would ALWAYS pop off resulting in a big mess of shock oil all over my car and just wasting shock oil. After i went and bought the aluminum shock caps THEY NEVER CAME BACK OFF! Which surprised me because after i put the new caps in, there a few times where i bashed my car VERY HARD like never before and those shock caps never came off.

So, i you want to know if he aluminum shock caps are worth it or not? YES, they are soo worth it. They will alleviate you so much from worrying about oil messes and having tiny crashes.
    Last edited by RPMMaster 317; 01-15-2020 at 11:57 PM.

RC poster
    Really appreciate the feedback! I do have aluminum caps I haven't put on. I will soon but wanted to wait till I was going to change the oil out. I ran through 4 different sets of springs for the front yesterday. Stock w/ different spacer set ups, and all 3 of the Hot Racing rate springs. Oddly enough, I really liked running the softest REAR Hot Racing springs. yes they are 2.5's, but they still turned amazing. stiffened up the initial part of the stroke in the shock (which helped during bashing and jump takeoffs) but were also still really responsive. Next thing I think I will mess with is oil weight. I bought 37.5 and 42.5 so I'll start there, But so far night and day from the extremely soft setup out of the box.

Rear I went with the medium Hot Racing spring and the largest spacer (Looks around 5mm)and the rear feels really good. But I think fine tuning with oil weight may make it even better.

All in all it's been fun getting back into RC and I look forward to fixing stuff when it breaks! Haha

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-02-2020 at 11:15 PM.

One thing to avoid to allow you to dial in the right setup is to not use the spacers for anything but ride height adjustments. Trying to use the spacers to stiffen or soften the suspension will seriously skew testing. Just change the spacers when you change springs that affect the ride height.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    One thing to avoid to allow you to dial in the right setup is to not use the spacers for anything but ride height adjustments. Trying to use the spacers to stiffen or soften the suspension will seriously skew testing. Just change the spacers when you change springs that affect the ride height.
    Yes makes sense. The rear needed a slight lift and with the spacer the suspension feels good. Fronts, since it is a longer spring has no spacers at all. Front ride height is higher and shocks feel good on take off, landings, and general bashing while still giving a very responsive feel. Digging the setup so far. Let's see what different oils do now..

RC Qualifier
    I raced my slash 2wd in the modified class at my local track with the ultra shocks. Aluminum caps, and I did the rebuild kit which seemed to make them a little smoother.

For poops and Giggles one day I took the Traxxas GTR shocks off of my slash 4 x 4 and put them on the 2wd. I put 40 weight Losi oil on all four corners with black Springs (double black lines) front and rear. Holy crow! It truly transformed the way that truck drove. Much more planted in the rear , and The Landings were much smoother. Needless to say, I had to buy a new set of GTR shocks for my 4 x 4.

If you ever upgrade your shocks, the GTRs are a nice fit as well as TLR truck shocks.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I raced my slash 2wd in the modified class at my local track with the ultra shocks. Aluminum caps, and I did the rebuild kit which seemed to make them a little smoother.

For poops and Giggles one day I took the Traxxas GTR shocks off of my slash 4 x 4 and put them on the 2wd. I put 40 weight Losi oil on all four corners with black Springs (double black lines) front and rear. Holy crow! It truly transformed the way that truck drove. Much more planted in the rear , and The Landings were much smoother. Needless to say, I had to buy a new set of GTR shocks for my 4 x 4.

If you ever upgrade your shocks, the GTRs are a nice fit as well as TLR truck shocks.

Yes I hear the GTR's are killer shocks! Changing the suspension & testing it has been pretty fun and you find what works and doesn't for your driving style and terrain. I will definitely get around to going that route. But in the mean time going to try and find some Losi Blue, green, silver springs and mess with those on the ultra's as well as weight and report my results. REALLY appreciate all the threads on this whole forum of everyone's success (and failure) of their tuning.

Really happy with this for now for anyone that goes w/ Stock Ultra's & Hot Racing Spring Kit:
    https://www.hobbytown.com/hot-racing...hoCbPkQAvD_BwE

Silver springs 2.5 rear 5mm spacer
    Red springs 2.5 Front No spacer

Will be testing 35-45 oils next.

RC poster
    Update: Still running same spring set up 2.5" all the way around as stated before. (Hot Racing Silver springs 2.5" in rear 5mm spacer, Red springs 2.5" in Front No spacer) Added 50 wt oil and what a difference. Thing bashes really well and still has a ton of functionality for turning and performing how the stock suspension was designed to cycle. No more belly slapping other than huge landings. My buddy brought over his 2wd Slash, brushed, LCG kit, and stock suspension and was blown away at how well mine did over his especially in handling. No rolling, responsive turning and nice smooth landings on big hits. Been really fun tuning the suspension and am really happy with the way the car performs.

If i ever do bend a shaft I think i'm gonna stick with the stock Ultra's and just upgrade to TiN shafts. I think the suspension set up is pretty dialed so I don't know if GTR's would be worth it for me.

Happy Bashing!!