RC poster

Looking at getting a new truck soon and could use some input

My current experience is with a Traxxas ford raptor (slash 2wd), and a MERV. The raptor is alright but no where near as fun as driving the MERV even though i know every time i take the lil bugger out i'm working those poor lil ring & pinion over something fierce. Good thing it's only $12 a pop and doesn't really take that long to replace, and now that i know better i can certainly behave better and get more run time out of it.

Anyway i'm kinda leaning towards the Rustler 4x4 VXL as it seems very similar to the MERV if possibly not quite as explosive comparativly speaking pound for pound. The Slash 4x4 VXL also looks interesting but i'm not sure how it handles compared to the raptor.

How are either of the two i'm looking at as compared to the two trucks i currently have experience? I mean sure i'd really like to just ... go with the E Revo 2.0, but besides the upfront extra cost i understand it also breaks alot more parts and its greedy on batteries. Heck i could even manage to share some batteries between the raptor and either of the two i listed.

I don't have any tracks nearby, closes thing is a skate park that i can sometimes access when not in use and the wide open baseball field. I also have a track i can get to with a shortish drive which is, by my standards, fairly largish and has a fair number of jumps.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-16-2020 at 08:48 AM.

I'd go with the Rustler 4x4 VXL or the Maxx. Since you have two trucks that handle fairly well, I'd lean towards the Maxx.

RC poster
    Why the maxx over the others? Besides just the fact that its MAXX!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Veqlargh View Post
    Why the maxx over the others? Besides just the fact that its MAXX!!!!!
    Sorry about my last post, upon rereading it seems scattered thinking was at work on my part.
    I always recommend either the Rusty or Maxx as budget one-only trucks.

The reason I lean towards the Maxx in your case is that you already have trucks that do flat ground fast and can handle pretty well. The Maxx will bring something different to your collection. It is a great sturdy basher and does stunts well. It will wheelie, tumble, jump, fly, crash and keep going. it will also go where your two current vehicles might struggle.

Since you have the Merv, the Rusty would just take it's place as it does the same thing, just bigger, same with the E-Revo.

It's almost impossible to drive the Maxx without smiling!

FWIW, I have the Merv, Rusty, and E-Revo. they are basically the same vehicle (the type of driving.) the difference is levels...The Merv is great in smaller spaces that don't have large rocks, the Rusty for medium space with larger obstacles and the E-Revo for large spaces with larger obstacles...the Maxx can handle as much as the E-Revo terrain wise but is cheaper to operate and requires fewer repairs. The Maxx only needs one battery and all the parts are seriously beefy. It is one of the few vehicles I have that has not needed any repairs yet. the other is the UDR, but that is a totally different category of vehicle.

Somewhere I posted a summation in my opinion of each vehicle...I don't remember which post it's in though but if I find it I'll edit and link to it.

Found it:Post 13

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=spirit+animal
    Last edited by USMC1984; 01-16-2020 at 01:22 AM.

RC poster
    Thank you sir

Yeah i kinda figured the Rustler would be similar to the MERV but possibly little less squirrely and i could share batteries with the raptor. How much run time you figure a Maxx would get on one of those 8400mah batteries? I may end up stepping up from the MERV to a RUSTLER 4x4 VXL simply so i can gain access to longer lasting batteries. Sometimes i just want to be able to plop a big ol battery in there and run until the cows come home. I keep eyeing those 10,000mah batteries that would fit in the raptor and a rustler/slash 4x4 vxl. Sure it's not 3s power, but i don't always need that as it's plenty fun below max possible speed. Could even look at the Maxx and get the 8400mah batteries as those would also fit a Rustler if i decided to get one AFTER the max. Got some thinking to do. Hobbies sure seem to get expensive fast........

RC Qualifier
    Raptor batteries may not fit the Rustl4r, which has a shorter battery tray. Something to watch out for.

I do try to buy batteries that fit multiple vehicles, so I understand the strategy! I have never timed the Maxx as usually I get two runs out of one charge, but that's primarily due to me taking multiple trucks out at a time and switching between them. If I had to guess, I'd say 30-40 minutes of average use.

I'm running the 2878 Traxxas battery in it. The 2878 is 11.1v 8400mah 3s.

The only Traxxas batteries that the Maxx shares with the Rusty is the 2857 and 2849.

Hobbies sure seem to get expensive fast........
    LOL you don't EVEN want to know how much money I spent on these since getting into it this summer!
    Last edited by USMC1984; 01-16-2020 at 01:44 AM.

RC poster
    Yeah i know they don't share all the batteries, but can strategically stagger it to have 1 and 2 share some and then have 2 and 3 share some to give some options when out and about while any one of them might also have a battery that ONLY that truck can use for one reason or another.

Of the batteries the Raptor/Rustler share i only care about the 2854x @10,000mah which leaves the raptor with two 2869x's @7600mah all to itself. For the Rustler/Maxx there's the 2857x's they could share. So WHEN i own all 3 i'll have quite a few shared batteries and a few dedicated batteries.

I'm also interested in RC Tanks........sigh.

Yeah i know they don't share all the batteries, but can strategically stagger it to have 1 and 2 share some and then have 2 and 3 share some to give some options when out and about while any one of them might also have a battery that ONLY that truck can use for one reason or another.

Of the batteries the Raptor/Rustler share i only care about the 2854x @10,000mah which leaves the raptor with two 2869x's @7600mah all to itself. For the Rustler/Maxx there's the 2857x's they could share. So WHEN i own all 3 i'll have quite a few shared batteries and a few dedicated batteries.

I'm also interested in RC Tanks........sigh.
    Like I said I understand the battery strategy as I do the same.

RC Competitor
    I have a friend with the max and he doesn’t do jumps at all, he just plays around in his backyard and he said it is always breaking, I have the rustler 4x4 Vxl and it has been over some mean jumps and hit some things it didn’t need to and I’ve never broke a part

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendarose View Post
    I have a friend with the max and he doesnít do jumps at all, he just plays around in his backyard and he said it is always breaking, I have the rustler 4x4 Vxl and it has been over some mean jumps and hit some things it didnít need to and Iíve never broke a part
    If his backyard has things that the MAXX runs into all the time, I guess itís possible the MAXX can break with enough abuse

Otherwise, I want to see how he drives it to break it just driving around.

In cycling we call it ďI was just riding along when...Ē