RC poster

ez-starter overheating then dosent crank

Hi i just got a trx 3.3 motor off ebay and when i tried to start it with the ez start it cranks for about 20-25 seconds minimum and then shuts off. now i tried the pull start and it works fine! but i want the ez start because its supposidy supposed to be "easy"

RC poster
    and also everytime before I use the ez start wand i always charge the stock 6 cell nihm

A good tune will take care of that. With any starter - whether on an auto, small engine or RC - you don’t crank for more than 10-15 seconds otherwise the starter overheats.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I love my ez start. It's new however. We have temps in the 50's here, to start mine I have to richen the low speed needle 1/2 to 3/4 turn richer for a fast start. If your fuel lines are purged plug the exhaust while cranking. Mine will stop if I crank to long.

RC poster
    ok thank you for the idea i will try that when i get home!

RC Qualifier
    Also, you are saying doesn’t crank, if the engine is flooded or vapor locked the ez start will
    Not crank of the compression is too high.

RC poster
    how would i fix a "vapor" locked motor? im just thinking of ordering a new ez start motor...... i cleaned out the ez start gears the other day and DID put in new white lithium grease. but it still over heats. is there anything i have to do with the glow plug being too tight or? (im just getting into nitro so i have 0 idea of what anything you guys say lol) i know the basics but still

RC Champion
    With a proper tune you should only have to use the ez-start but for a few seconds. Sounds like you may need to get the tune right.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BOMN View Post
    how would i fix a "vapor" locked motor? im just thinking of ordering a new ez start motor...... i cleaned out the ez start gears the other day and DID put in new white lithium grease. but it still over heats. is there anything i have to do with the glow plug being too tight or? (im just getting into nitro so i have 0 idea of what anything you guys say lol) i know the basics but still
    Fixing vapor locked engine is super easy
    Take the glow plug out and crank it for 10-15 seconds.

RC Qualifier
    I should also note that I’m also new to nitro, and only run it in the warmer weather

RC Competitor
    For what it's worth, I did not richen the LSN needle last time I used it from a cold start when temps were in the low 50's. I had the tank empty and the lines purged and engine oiled after the last time I used it.

When I went to start it, I plugged the exhaust to get the lines primed and after that I'd plugged the exhaust real quick then released and after about 3 tries it started. I'm thinking doing this added a little extra fuel to the engine to help it start.

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like you’re cranking it for way too long, you’re going to kill your igniter in the EZ start if you keep doing that. My 3.3 starts in under 3 seconds every time.. you need to make sure the tune is right and that the glow plug is in good condition.
    Xmaxx 8S, Arrma Infraction, Nitro Rustler, P4de