My totally biased review of all my Traxxas Trucks to help new purchasers decide which

I posted this in a thread but figured I'd create a thread out of it in hope of helping newbies make purchase decisions.

Although totally biased by my own tastes, I think there's enough objectivity to possibly help some people decide which truck will suit them the best.

I hope it helps.

I'll break down my personal opinion on each car I have:

$ 1/16 E-Revo and Summit= Great backyard cars...won't cause much damage to themselves or other stuff. They run fine on very short grass...not so well on medium grass and not at all on long grass. It doesn't need much space. It seems a bit tame and slow in very large spaces. Their spirit animal is a rabbit!

$ Rustler 4x4 VXL= One of the best all-around cars for fun, durability, cost to buy, repair and run... a very fun car that jumps excellent and is very stable to drive just about anywhere. Its spirit animal is a cat on catnip!

$$ Maxx= Less stable than the Rustler in turns but otherwise, I'd say all the same stuff about it as the Rustler. It bashes harder than the Rustler. May cause damage to stuff it hits due to its speed and weight.
    It doesn't need much room to roam but can use however much space you give it. Its spirit animal is a playful energetic dog!

$$$ Summit= Kind of an in-between a crawler and an E-Revo...more complicated, more servos, a pain to work on but very fun on trails and dirt piles. Pretty fun in any amount of space if that space is interesting...less fun on plain flat ground. Its spirit animal is a bear!

$$$ E-Revo= Very fast, fairly stable, needs more room to run and can cause lots of damage to itself and other stuff it might hit. Pretty durable, but more expensive to fix than others, can handle a variety of terrain, will blow tires if not maintained well...dual servos tend to go out. I will go to a single servo next.
    it's a good overall car but kind of large. Its spirit animal is an angry badger!

$$$$ UDR= This thing is pretty realistic looking, very fast on the flat or mild ground, very durable, but a complete pain in the buttocks to work on. The body shell alone uses ten or twelve screws to put on or take off. Batteries load from the bottom so no need to take the body off each time, but the battery tray is in a very cramped area and requires a knack for putting on and latching. This thing needs LOTS of room! It can bash, but is best suited for large lots with flat or undulating surface...think flat desert with gentle sand mounds. Its spirit animal is a hungry cheetah!

$$$$ X-Maxx= King Kong of the Traxxas off-road lineup! Very impressive for spectators, very tough but a bit expensive to fix and a bit tough to fix sometimes, some strength required to get things apart. Very large and heavy! This thing needs space to run and WILL cause damage to just about anything it hits.
    Its spirit animal is an angry rhinoceros!

I didn't list the TrX-4, TRX-6 or 4-tec because I've never run any of them yet...haven't even hooked a battery to any of them...sad, I know...but they look great on the shelf!

RC Qualifier
    This is a nice review. It also reminds me of topic I am just about to post on the Alley here:
    ďHow many rigs is too many ?Ē
    Iíll throw in my $.02 to support some
    Of what youíve said above.

1:16 Revo . I agree with everything you said in your review. I have brushless version. It is a pocket rocket on 2S . Iíve never even ran mine on 3S

2wd Slash-
    A 2wd rig is always gonna be harder master for a beginner, which is a shame because they can be had and maintained ( esp used ones ) so cheaply.
    My current setup is a Vxl 3 with a Tacon 3930KV motor. Rocking a VW Baja body instead of the short course it is a great basher and usually lands on its feet. Doesnít do as well in deep grass or rough rocks as a 4wd.
    A stock, brushed Slash is a great beginner car, takes a lot of abuse and is easy to upgrade and work on.
    There is a ton of aftermarket and OEM support and it can be just about any kind of rig you want it to be.
    short course/ desert truck, oval racer, Baja bug ( like mine) Long wheel base monster truck, road car, Drag car, speed runner

2wd Stampede. An old school 2wd Monster Truck design, mildly updated and improved over time. Still around, because frankly, it still works. Once again, any 2wd will be harder to master in low traction, but I find the ĎPede to do a little little better in longer grass and taller obstacles than a 2wd slash. Itís a quick, punchy wheelie machine and even a brushed model is quick and fun to drive. It jumps and lands really well.
    Sadly, the XL5 models come with bushings on the wheels so a set of bearings are almost a required upgrade. Other than that this truck is a scrappy little fighter that punches way above its weight.
    Actually, since it is so light, it can be a real handful when upgraded to brushless, thatís probably why traxxas only sells the vxl version WITH TSM.

Think theres a thread bout what or how many rcs people have but I'll throw my .02 here. I've owned 15 different Trx rcs and a couple non Trx rcs. Been in hobby 5yrs and spent close to 15k so far(I'll spare you all and wont list them with all with their upgrades, that's been listed a time or two already or what I think they are best for on/with lol). All Trx rcs are good investments if you want to have fun, want lots of and easily accessible parts and want upgrade possibilites. In my experience other brands just dont have the versatility, support or parts Trx products do. Each rc is fun and perfect for its designed use. Yes I'm biased too but why not be when they make it so easy in this hobby!!! Thanks Trx!

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-18-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Think theres a thread bout what or how many rcs people have but I'll throw my .02 here. I've owned 15 different Trx rcs and a couple non Trx rcs. Been in hobby 5yrs and spent close to 15k so far(I'll spare you all and wont list them with all with their upgrades, that's been listed a time or two already or what I think they are best for on/with lol). All Trx rcs are good investments if you want to have fun, want lots of and easily accessible parts and want upgrade possibilites. In my experience other brands just dont have the versatility, support or parts Trx products do. Each rc is fun and perfect for its designed use. Yes I'm biased too but why not be when they make it so easy in this hobby!!! Thanks Trx!

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    By all means, add to the list! You don't have to go into detail about upgrades, just share your thoughts on the different models to give others an idea of the difference between the models.

This is about helping others decide...just a short description like I did to give people perspective. Especially if you have a different view of a truck than me or a truck I didn't list.

Don't forget their spirit animals! LOL

RC Qualifier
    I’ll add
    Slash 4x4 - not cheap, but a good value all around. Tough, rough and ready for all around bashing. Handles just about anything you throw at it. Smaller tires than the Rustler/Pede 4x4 means it struggles a little more in long grass but otherwise always ready to go. Cheap to maintain and one of the biggest aftermarket support networks out there.
    Spirit animal German Shepard puppy ( and like it’s spirit animal it can grow into a beast )

T-Maxx
    I was
    Intimidated by Nitro before I got a used T Maxx in a trade. I have the 2.5 so performance wise there are faster Brushless electric rigs.
    But there is just Something about the noise and scent of a T Maxx throwing roosts out of all 4 tires .
    It flys and lands better than anything that heavy has a right to. The Classic Maxx suspension is smooth and plush. It might be higher maintenance than a plug and play electric rig, but experience is rewarding .
    Spirit animal Pitbull ( intimating, but nothing to be afraid of If you are a responsible owner )

Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post
    I’ll add
    Slash 4x4 - not cheap, but a good value all around. Tough, rough and ready for all around bashing. Handles just about anything you throw at it. Smaller tires than the Rustler/Pede 4x4 means it struggles a little more in long grass but otherwise always ready to go. Cheap to maintain and one of the biggest aftermarket support networks out there.
    Spirit animal German Shepard puppy ( and like it’s spirit animal it can grow into a beast )

T-Maxx
    I was
    Intimidated by Nitro before I got a used T Maxx in a trade. I have the 2.5 so performance wise there are faster Brushless electric rigs.
    But there is just Something about the noise and scent of a T Maxx throwing roosts out of all 4 tires .
    It flys and lands better than anything that heavy has a right to. The Classic Maxx suspension is smooth and plush. It might be higher maintenance than a plug and play electric rig, but experience is rewarding .
    Spirit animal Pitbull ( intimating, but nothing to be afraid of If you are a responsible owner )
    I love it! Let's keep this going!

RC Racer
    I ran a Slash for 10 years and in that time, all I managed to break was a few cheap parts, which were readily available at most hobby stores. Granted, I wasn't jumping garages or cars with it - and it still runs like a champ!

RC Qualifier
    Bandit:
    Great first Traxxas for a beginner. Not too big, cheap to buy and to fix/upgrade. Loves flat surfaces and doesn't take too much maintenance. Pretty fast on the road and fun to take of jumps.
    It's spirit animal is a Squirrel, smallish, fast and likes to steal (Bandit)!

RC Racer
    Nitro Sport:
    The nitro engine most of us started on: the PRO .15. Durable, bashable, and reliable. Rewards you with good behavior if you treat it right. Built for dirt, and not particularly fast. No reverse, because there is no going back.
    Spirit Animal: Aardvark. Always in the dirt, not very fast, always sticking it's nose in the ground, a little clunky.
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.