Thread: Ring and Pinion

RC Enthusiast

Ring and Pinion

Should I use marine grease on ring and pinion and internals on differentials ?

Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    "Marine" isnt necessary just some type of lithium or silicone grease. That word inflates prices lol.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Champion
    10,000 - 500,000 in the internals / spider gears

red mag 1 grease is Fast Eddy
    fabricator

Sorry just was thinking "ring and pinion". Thanks Crazyxmaxx. Yes on inside diffs use diff fluid. You'll just have to see what you like as far as weight.

Last edited by Briber; 01-16-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    That's what I do. It's waterproof, cheap, it doesn't leak, and I like how my trucks run with it.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    That's what I do. It's waterproof, cheap, it doesn't leak, and I like how my trucks run with it.
    Any silicone grease is "waterproof" just because its "marine" doesnt give it better waterproofing just higher price tags lol. Dad owned a boat for many years it's so silly how putting that word on a product lets a companys charge more for same exact product not labeled marine lol.

Last edited by Briber; 01-18-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    Any silicone grease is "waterproof" just because its "marine" doesnt give it better waterproofing just higher price tags lol. Dad owned a boat for many years it's so silly how putting that word on a product lets a companys charge more for same exact product not labeled marine lol.
    I use Bel-Ray marine grade grease for my dirt bikes, so I always keep some on hand. I didn't really think it was too horribly expensive, though. It was like 10 bucks for a butter size tub. I use to use silicon grease for my RC's way-back-when, but found that the marine grade grease lasted longer than using silicon (for me, I also found it less expensive than silicon). That's just me, though, and if bashing I'd suggest using grease (marine or silicon) rather than any kind of oil (silicon, synthetic or natural weight).

The best stuff to use is Dow High Speed bearing grease. That stuff lasts forever, but it's pricey and hard to clean out when repacking is needed. I only use it in my transmissions, but it's definitely the best. A&P mechanics use it to lubricate the bearings in jet engine components.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-21-2020 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I use Bel-Ray marine grade grease for my dirt bikes, so I always keep some on hand. I didn't really think it was too horribly expensive, though. It was like 10 bucks for a butter size tub. I use to use silicon grease for my RC's way-back-when, but found that the marine grade grease lasted longer than using silicon (for me, I also found it less expensive than silicon). That's just me, though, and if bashing I'd suggest using grease (marine or silicon) rather than any kind of oil (silicon, synthetic or natural weight).

The best stuff to use is Dow High Speed bearing grease. That stuff lasts forever, but it's pricey and hard to clean out when repacking is needed. I only use it in my transmissions, but it's definitely the best. A&P mechanics use it to lubricate the bearings in jet engine components.

Thanks for info. I'd argue no need for that sticker heavier longer lasting stuff if you do semi regular diff maintenance. The thinner is sufficient in my experience to give sufficient protection and performance without straining motor losing mph or making extra hard to clean at maintenance. But anything used in jet engines is prob good to use in my rc

Last edited by Briber; 01-23-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks for info.
    You're welcome.

I'd argue no need for that sticker heavier longer lasting stuff if you do semi regular diff maintenance.
    That's my point. I don't want to have to break down my diffs during my RC season. I want to be outside having fun. I only want (as much as possible) to do my heavy maintenance in the winter time when it's cold and crummy. Using grease, and good mods let me do that. As a ReglarGuy, my philosophy has always been to have "maximum fun with minimum work."
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-23-2020 at 04:19 AM.

Considering the cost and how long it lasts, just seems to make sense to use something that holds up longer, unless it adds a lot of drag to the system.

I used the same tub of typical axle grease for 10 years. I never cared for it, but didn't know about "marine" grease or "sticky" grease that did a better job of adhering to the parts vs just getting a path cut through it.

I bought a tub of lucas red-n-tacky last year and have started using that in my diffs. I use enough to coat the ring gear teeth and after running 6-8 packs through a truck and checking the diff, you can still see strings of it between the ring/pinion as the pinion passes through the teeth.

$13 for a 16oz tub that will likely last me the next decade:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-Red.../dp/B0068C5WD4
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss