RC Racer

Waterproofing third-party receivers?

I picked up two Tetons and want to add my Flysky FS-BS6 radio to at least one of them. I noticed that the receiver box is not really sealed - it's wide open on the bottom and the only reason why it's waterproof with the stock receiver is because it's wrapped in foam.

What have you guys been doing with third-party receivers? My make-shift solution is to cram the FS-BS6 into a balloon and shoved it all in the receiver box, but that's neither pretty or truly waterproof.

RC Qualifier
    You could use a Traxxas rx box, they come in all different sizes for different rigs they have, or you could try this. I use this on my home made cap packs and aftermarket esc's that aren't waterproof and have never had an issue along with 1 Traxxas 6528 tx that I use when it's raining and I still want to run.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07B8RY7M6/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Last edited by Rain Dawg; 01-16-2020 at 02:24 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    You could use a Traxxas rx box, they come in all different sizes for different rigs they have, or you could try this. I use this on my home made cap packs and aftermarket esc's that aren't waterproof and have never had an issue along with 1 Traxxas 6528 tx that I use when it's raining and I still want to run.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07B8RY7M6/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Yeah, I might use conformal coating on this receiver and maybe even 3d print up a new box. I just wanted to see what others do before I commit to anything.

RC Qualifier
    I love this stuff it dry's really fast, just paint on thin coats to both sides twice and good to go.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    I love this stuff it dry's really fast, just paint on thin coats to both sides twice and good to go.
    Do you do anything to the ports on the receiver or do you leave them open? I usually don't have to worry about waterproofing what's in my receiver boxes, but this one leaves me stumped because of how exposed it is. LOL

RC Competitor
    I also use conformal coating, though the urethane one. Acrylic is fine, but fragile, easliy scratched or rubbed off, though this would be easiest to solder if you ever needed to. The urethane one is most robust, last longest, but really hard to remove, thus making a resolder job quite difficult. I dont see myself needing to resolder a reciever or even an esc, so i choose the urethane one for its durability and longevity. There is also a silicone based one, that most use and would probably be most recommended, because its right in the middle of acrylic and urethane for its durability and ease of reworking.
    As for the open ports, i use dielectric grease. I fill the whole opening and then plug in the connectors. Its a little messy, and probably not even needed, but its a little more peace of mind having it done.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've been putting my receivers in a balloon for 20 years. Always seemed to work. For added protection against vibrations rubbing holes in the balloon, I wrap it with a few layers of electrical tape, then wrap it in foam. I make sure to roll the neck of the balloon back on itself and ziptie it as well. Haven't lost a receiver yet when doing this and I run in snow/wet grass all the time and I'm pretty liberal with a garden hose when it comes time to clean a truck.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
    Do you do anything to the ports on the receiver or do you leave them open? I usually don't have to worry about waterproofing what's in my receiver boxes, but this one leaves me stumped because of how exposed it is. LOL
    Sorry for the late reply, we had a dump of 20 inches of snow last night and my driveway is 200 ft long and I live 40 min out in the country and had to make a fuel run for the snow blower. I haven't done any rx's but it would be no different then what I do with the circut boards on the tx where the BT module plugs in or on the esc's that have the plugs for programing, I try to get as close as possible without touching them.