550 Competition Motor: The Search

As the title clearly indicates, I'm searching for a 550 motor, to go into a Slash 4x4, and possibly one for another similarly-sized vehicle. Since our indoor track (most indoor track, actually) limits batteries to 2S, I'll be needing something slightly above 4000kV. Initially, I was thinking of the usual 540, 4000kV...but, the idea of a 550 struck me as a better possible solution. Anyway, not in any particular order, I've narrowed the choices down to the following 4 motors:

1) Maclan MR4 Series Competition Sensored 4-Pole 550 SCT Motor, 4150kV
    2) Tekin Pro4 HD 4-Pole Brushless 550 Motor, 4300kV
    3) Hobbywing XERUN SCT 3660SD G2 550 Sensored Brushless Motor, 4300kV
    4) Tekin Redline SC4X Sensored Brushless 550 Motor, 5.5 Turn (approx 4000+kV)

There are a few reasons why I'm thinking a 550 will be a better choice than a 540 - more efficient, more torque, less chance of causing battery problems (remember, required to run 2S...nothing higher), more torque (oh, yea, already listed that...just didn't want those reading this to forget this point).

First, am I making a "smart" decision in wanting to go work a 550, as opposed to a 540? Second, between these motors, what would be your order of preference...and why? Finally, in addition to these four motors, what others might you would consider "equally competitive", and why? In regards to that final question, I don't want to go any lower than 4000kV, and (probably) no higher than 4300kV.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Champion
    What ESC are you running? That weighs into my decision. Also, how big is the track you are running on? Are there more turns than straights?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

The primary ESCs (again, in no particular order) under consideration are the Maclan MMax8 200A Competition & Hobbywing XR8 SCT, but I'm also considering the Castle Mamba X.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I wouldn't go strictly by motor class (550 or 540) but by motor actual size. Not all 550 or 540 motors are created the same. Some have thicker cans making it a 550 and not bigger guts. The only true way to know which is a better motor is to know its complete construction details. Size of rotor and quality of the magnets. Larger carbon magnets will never compete with smaller neodymium magnets. The trouble will be finding truely accurate measurements/details.

Unless you break each one down and see and measure the parts you won't know for sure and all you will likely get here is subjective opinions. But good luck on your adventure and I wish you the best.

P.S. You may find that there is alot more to be gained from getting the right ESC than trying to get the best motor. The margins on ESC are alot looser than motors which have much smaller differences.
    Last edited by zedorda; 01-18-2020 at 04:09 AM.

RC Champion
    I used a Tekin Pro4 4000kv motor in my Slash 4x4 when I raced it with a Tekin RX8. Geared 54/15, it was more than enough motor for that truck.

When they changed the layout of my local track with more turns and what not making it more technical, I geared down to 54/13 to give it more low end torque.

It was a very smooth setup and I loved driving that truck, especially since I was beating TLR and Tekno drivers with it. Boy they sure were mad when they found out they got beat by a slash

Let me start off by saying that I've eliminated the Maclan ESC, as well as the Tekin Redline motor. At 10 years old, the Redline motor is 'ancient', and the Maclan ESCs don't have a proven track record (literally, and figuratively).

Truth be told, I have been leaning towards the Tekin Pro4 HD 4300kV, with the HW & Maclan motors as 2nd-choice possibilities. Although the Tekin Pro4 HD is almost 7yrs old, it is a 12-slot design. While the HW is only an 8-slot design, at only 3yrs old, it is the most recently released. As for the Maclan, it's only a year older than the HW, they motors have done fairly well in competition, plus the price is extremely reasonable.

For the age-price-performance-longevity 'battle', starting with the Maclan, it has the second-best price (only $10 more than the HW), isn't too far behind for "newest", and had done well in terms of performance...but the longevity of the motor is unknown (plus I've read some not-so-good things about their CS). The HW has the lowest price, and is the newest, plus it's longevity should be quite good (and their CS is also quite good, albeit not "the best")...bit, in the 'performance' department, is somewhat lacking. Finally, the Tekin is great in performance, and has proven longevity (not to mention outstanding CS)...but, it's the oldest design, and, worse, it's price is, by far, the highest (over 50% higher than the other two).
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I used a Tekin Pro4 4000kv motor in my Slash 4x4 when I raced it with a Tekin RX8. Geared 54/15, it was more than enough motor for that truck.

When they changed the layout of my local track with more turns and what not making it more technical, I geared down to 54/13 to give it more low end torque.

It was a very smooth setup and I loved driving that truck, especially since I was beating TLR and Tekno drivers with it. Boy they sure were mad when they found out they got beat by a slash.
    You didn't mention whether you're running the Pro4 4000kV on 2S, or something higher. If I could run on 3S, that motor (among 540 cans) would have been asking my 'top 3'...but, remember, the track limits to 2S, what is why I've been considering 550 cans. If you're running 2S, then I'd definitely bring it back into consideration...but, if you're running a higher voltage (if you could indicate what you're running, that'd be great), I might have to leave it off the list.

My 'theory' (which could be correct...or completely off-base) is that the competitive-grade 540 motors (on 2S) lack torque, plus they "destroy" batteries (ie. less efficient, and VERY 'hard' on 2S packs). By going with a (slightly higher kV) 550, I regain the lost torque, and it's more energy-efficient, this it would be less likely to "destroy" 2S packs. Is my 'theory' right, or wrong (and, if wrong, can you explain, so as to help me better understand)?

Based on the replies in this thread, replies in other threads in other forums, and further research on my part (some of which was because of the aforementioned replies), it seems that's the HW*3660SD G2 4300kV & XR8 SCT will be the winners...best of all, they can be purchased in a 'combo' package, saving money.* To quote an old saying, "I thank you, and Leslie salt thanks you."

RC Champion
    I was running the 4000kv on 2s. I was using SMC 6500mah 70c batteries. Never puffed a battery or had any issues. The Tekin 4300 HD will definitely give you more horsepower, but a lower kv motor will give you more torque. The difference between these two cans are the diameter is the same but the 4300 is about 10mm longer.

I never used the 4300HD motor, but I've heard from friends that it's a beast. If the you go with the 4300 and it's too much for the truck, you could always turn down the throttle on the radio. You can't go wrong with Tekin.
    Tekin would be my first choice.

I wasn't aware you already had the motors to choose from.
    Tekin!

**EDIT** I was typing this as you posted your last response. Good luck with the HW set-up. I have HW in all my TLR 2wd cars. Good stuff. Reliable.

Last edited by MaXDee; 01-18-2020 at 07:54 PM.

I was typing this as you posted your last response. Good luck with the HW set-up. I have HW in all my TLR 2wd cars. Good stuff. Reliable.
    I don't have the motors (or ESC), at least for this vehicle. I was working on making a decision as to what to purchase. As for TLR vehicles, I'm using HW ESCs in all of mine, but the motors (currently) vary.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the pro4 is a beast, I just ended up going even larger on mine....

RC Qualifier
    I was running the 4000kv on 2s. I was using SMC 6500mah 70c batteries. Never puffed a battery or had any issues. The Tekin 4300 HD will definitely give you more horsepower, but a lower kv motor will give you more torque. The difference between these two cans are the diameter is the same but the 4300 is about 10mm longer.

I never used the 4300HD motor, but I've heard from friends that it's a beast. If the you go with the 4300 and it's too much for the truck, you could always turn down the throttle on the radio. You can't go wrong with Tekin.
    Tekin would be my first choice.

Tekin!

**EDIT** I was typing this as you posted your last response. Good luck with the HW set-up. I have HW in all my TLR 2wd cars. Good stuff. Reliable.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems you said the 4000kv motor will give more torque then the 4300kv, and its 10mm shorter( the 4000). While it is common to think a lower kv motor has more torque, that is only true if the can itself is longer on the lower kv. 2 motors of the same size, one 4000kv, one 4300kv, the 4300kv will have more torque, assuming the battery and esc can keep up with it. You will get more heat from the higher kv, as it will have a higher amp draw, but you can gear it down slightly to have the same top speed of the lower kv, thus gaining even more torque to the wheels. (Torque is directly effected by gearing).
    Not meaning to single you out on this, and maybe you meant the 4300 was shorter, but i just wanted to clear this up, maybe more so for my own peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems you said the 4000kv motor will give more torque then the 4300kv, and its 10mm shorter( the 4000). While it is common to think a lower kv motor has more torque, that is only true if the can itself is longer on the lower kv. 2 motors of the same size, one 4000kv, one 4300kv, the 4300kv will have more torque, assuming the battery and esc can keep up with it. You will get more heat from the higher kv, as it will have a higher amp draw, but you can gear it down slightly to have the same top speed of the lower kv, thus gaining even more torque to the wheels. (Torque is directly effected by gearing).
    Not meaning to single you out on this, and maybe you meant the 4300 was shorter, but i just wanted to clear this up, maybe more so for my own peace of mind.

I had looked up the Pro4 4000kv specs at 52.9mm long and the 4300hd motor at 62.5mm long. Diameter is the same. Not sure which one would have more torque with the same gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    That isn't the only thing in his post that didn't make sense. The 4000kV motor in question (Tekin Pro4) is a 540, whereas the the 4300kV (Tekin Pro4 HD) is a 550. As for your assertation that a higher kV motor of the same size will have higher torque, the opposite is true. Of the same size, higher kV has more RPMs (ie. more "horsepower"), but less torque. It is for this specific reason that crawlers use much lower kV motors (1900-2700kV), as they have massive amounts of torque.

Getting back to the 540 vs 550 matter, of the same kV, the 540 will have higher RPM & less torque, while the 550 has less RPM & more torque. In a 550, one way to regain that "lost" RPM is to go with a slightly higher-kV motor...thus, instead of a 540 @ 4000kV, I'd go with a 550 @ 4300kV. This way, the RPM is almost equal to the 540 @ 4000kV, and I'd still have more torque than that 540. Finally...as I've previously pointed out...the 550s are more efficient than the 540, so running a competition-grade 550 on 2S will be less prone to things like a LiPo battery "going up in flames".

Even though I previously said if made my decision (HW & HW), party of me still likes the idea of the Pro4 HD. True, I wouldn't be able to run it in "smart full-sensored" mode, but the Tekin motors do tend to be slightly more powerful. I wish u could get into on the quality & length of the magnets in each, as that plays a huge part in "everything". Having just said this, there's might be a way to get that info...will have to try, and will update once (if) I get that info.

For those truly interested in having a better understanding about RC motors, differences, how magnets make a difference, etc, check out John Robert Holmes on YouTube. He probably knows more about them than Traxxas, Castle, and Hobbywing, combined.

RC Qualifier
    I am a crawler guy myself, only recently gotten into the faster cars (2 years). The guys running the low kv at comps are aslo running a higher voltage, 4s. The lower kv motors lack torque and throttle resolution when run on lower voltage, like 2s. The guys running 3s usually are 3000 and above (i run 3800kv on 3s). I believe you just built your first crawler, a capra right? Or do i have you mixed up with someone else? Anyways, your right about John Holmes knowing more about this then any of us or the major rc companies out there, and his written word is where i learned alot myself. I have seen a couple YouTube videos, but prefer to read. I too used to think lower kv meant lower torque, just as before brushless it was thought higher turn meant higher torque. But he's the one who taught me differently. On the same voltage, the higher kv will have a higher torque, an amp draw. He's know for saying volt up gear down, right? He also says if you cant volt up, kv up and gear down. I dont want to get too winded on this post, but i probably can find some articles he wrote about it (i am kinda old so internet searches are not something i pride myself on). Anyways, I don't mean to come off defensive, and am not trying to say you are wrong, and I've read a few of your threads and believe you are well versed in the rc world, but one of us has our wires crossed. ( could be me, dont get old...)