RC Enthusiast

LED light kit install

anyone know how to install the LED kit from traxxas on the mini summit ?

Quote Originally Posted by blqnka View Post
    Most of the kits I've been finding come with 4 strips, which would work great if I only wanted to illuminate the footwells or the underseat area. But I also want to put lighting in more visible areas like under the hood of the dashboard, in the cupholders, and maybe some on the doors, but I don't know how to do that without having there be an ugly visible LED strip.

I'm totally confused as to what kind of products I should get for this type of setup and I'm not even sure if it's possible unless it's factory made. Whatever I get, I plan on installing it myself to get the positioning right, and then taking it to a mechanic so that the wiring won't be visible.

If anybody can help me with out with what kind of kits/products I should buy, I would really appreciate it. I'm looking for pink lighting primarily, but would prefer to be able to change the color. Also, I don't care if the lights flash or pulse along with music, but it would be a bonus if that setting was available.
    If you go to the 1/16 summit VXL web page, and look up accessories Traxxas lists the led kit for it, but on the brushed 1/16 summit the xl2.5 esc has a wire coming out of it for the external power supply to plug into, and on the vxl3m esc, there is no such wire. Iím in the process of changing over a Merv to a summit and want the Traxxas led light kit, but Iím unsure on how the external power supply can work with the vxl3m system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blqnka View Post
    Most of the kits I've been finding come with 4 strips, which would work great if I only wanted to illuminate the footwells or the underseat area. But I also want to put lighting in more visible areas like under the hood of the dashboard, in the cupholders, and maybe some on the doors, but I don't know how to do that without having there be an ugly visible LED strip.

I'm totally confused as to what kind of products I should get for this type of setup and I'm not even sure if it's possible unless it's factory made. Whatever I get, I plan on installing it myself to get the positioning right, and then taking it to a mechanic so that the wiring won't be visible.

If anybody can help me with out with what kind of kits/products I should buy, I would really appreciate it. I'm looking for pink lighting primarily, but would prefer to be able to change the color. Also, I don't care if the lights flash or pulse along with music, but it would be a bonus if that setting was available.
    Do you realize this is a Hobby Radio Control forum and not an automotive forum?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Do you realize this is a Hobby Radio Control forum and not an automotive forum?
    I didnít even realize they were talking about cup holders itís been a day

RC Enthusiast
    my ESC doesn't have the extra wire for the power supply,
    have the LED kit but now it looks like im gonna have to get another ESC

Quote Originally Posted by vic2367 View Post
    Ya thatís my problem too. I want to use the Traxxas led kit since it was made for it. But seems they didnít think about including it for the VXL system.

Anyone know how to hook up the led kit 7285X for the 1/16 summit with the vxl3m system?

Quote Originally Posted by vic2367 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Ya that’s my problem too. I want to use the Traxxas led kit since it was made for it. But seems they didn’t think about including it for the VXL system.

Anyone know how to hook up the led kit 7285X for the 1/16 summit with the vxl3m system?
    Something like this should work. HobbyStar-Traxxas-Connector--inline-Accessory-Power-Lead

This would give you a positive and negative wire. If the accessory plug is wrong you could cut it off and connect it to the power supply wires by soldering.

The 7285x doesn't give you the power tap because it doesn't fit the new ID plugs. It includes the plug that needs to be soldered on, that takes the place of the power tap.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 01-27-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Something like this should work. HobbyStar-Traxxas-Connector--inline-Accessory-Power-Lead

This would give you a positive and negative wire. If the accessory plug is wrong you could cut it off and connect it to the power supply wires by soldering.

The 7285x doesn't give you the power tap because it doesn't fit the new ID plugs. It includes the plug that needs to be soldered on, that takes the place of the power tap.
    Nice find! I must be bad at googling stuff, I couldnít find anything. Thanks man.

I'm just glad it gives you both an easy option to help your led lights install.

I'm just glad it gives you both an easy option to help your led lights install.
    Iím not opposed to using the xl2.5 esc, but I would like to have a bit more speed with brushless power so that adapter will work out nicely. Thanks again grizzly