RC Competitor

What is your views on best battery charging practice?

My NiCad stuff like a cordless drill, I've learned to let the battery drain down and not charge it until you lose power. My battery lasted about 5 years, in some cases months between charges.

What's the best charging practice for NiMh? The Revo 3.3 RX battery goes out fairly quick, and I bring it home and recharge it and won't use it for 3 to 5 days and do a quick top off before I head out.

I run my receiver packs down all the way to nothing using a bulb in the spring. Then I let them cool, charge them at 1A, let them cool, run them down again, then charge at .5A. The morning before I take them out, I top them back off. They seem to last a few years and give me decent run times.

I typically just run cheap tenergy/intelect 1600mah hump/flat packs.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I run my receiver packs down all the way to nothing using a bulb in the spring. Then I let them cool, charge them at 1A, let them cool, run them down again, then charge at .5A. The morning before I take them out, I top them back off. They seem to last a few years and give me decent run times.

I typically just run cheap tenergy/intelect 1600mah hump/flat packs.
    When you say you run them down, I read someplace you should not discharge the NIMH pack. I'm using a Thunder AC6 charger. I charge the RX battery at a half amp. The charger has the availability to discharge the pack @ .1 amps, very slow. Are you saying this is ok? What voltage is the recommend storage voltage for long term storage?

Also when my battery is to low to run do I need to discharge?

nimh do not suffer the same memory effect that nicd batteries do so you can charge them at any point. I keep them fully charged for storage and after a few runs I top them off. I have a pair of 1600mah batteries and charge them at 1c and they sit in an unheated garage during the winter. If I recall, one battery is ten years old and the other is probably two or three.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Awesom Dr. G! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CBerry View Post
    When you say you run them down, I read someplace you should not discharge the NIMH pack. I'm using a Thunder AC6 charger. I charge the RX battery at a half amp. The charger has the availability to discharge the pack @ .1 amps, very slow. Are you saying this is ok? What voltage is the recommend storage voltage for long term storage?

Also when my battery is to low to run do I need to discharge?
    NiMH and NiCAD can be run down to 0v. When taken off the light/motor/whatever, they recover a bit and by the time they are room temp, I just charge them back up. Kind of does a force cycle of them. NiCAD's were more prone to memory issues, but I haven't had any issue doing this to my NiMH packs as well.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

I recently picked up a Tenergy TB6B to help my charging situation. We got my son a MERV and 2 Traxxas 1200mah nimh packs and I wanted to give them the longest life. The TB6B will cycle charge them (discharge to 0 then full charge automatically) and I have consistently gotten 1300+mah from both batteries charging this way. This charger has also helped my lipo charging game since my older lipo charger does not have a storage charge feature which is key for lipo life.
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2