RC poster

Maxx ESC Low voltage cutoff number?

So i've had my Maxx for a couple weeks now, loving it.

I have purchased about 4 batteries so far, all 4s, one of them being a Traxxas battery and all of them 5000-5200mah. I get about 9-14 minutes run time on them before LVC kicks in. Is this normal? When I check the voltage of the packs they are anywhere from 3.7 -3.85 per cell when it kicks in, usually all within .1 of each other, so discharging balanced. I recently switched over from Nitro after being out of the hobby for several years. so I am new to the Lipo side of things. My research shows me that they are safe to drain to about 3.2v per cell and I see youtubes of people getting 20-25 minutes out of the same batteries I have. I have put about 5-8 cycles into these batteries, so they are pretty fresh as well.

My questions are...
    1. Is 9-14 min run time about what I should get out of a 5kmah lipo on 4s? I drive it pretty hard
    2. Is an LVC of 3.7-3.8 normal for the ESC on the Maxx? Is there any way to lower this? I can't find an exact number for this anywhere.
    3. Do packs get better as I break them in more? Or is something wrong with my ESC LVC?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys can provide.. Excited to be back into the hobby after several years!

RC Qualifier
    LVC not adjustable on stock electronics
    3.7 volts leaves 15% charge left

LVC at 3.2v - a greater chance of killing a cell
    fabricator

RC Qualifier
    Your batteries being at 3.7v-3.8v when LVC on a Traxxas ESC doesn't sound normal. You said you have 4 batteries, one of which is a traxxas battery. Does the Traxxas battery actual show the same as the others when LVC turn on? LVC on Traxxas ESC's are known to be on the low side not on the high side of voltage cutoff. To me it sounds like the batteries you have don't have the discharge capacity needed. Voltage drop is to much under load and turning on the LVC early. With out knowing your batteries and discharge rate it all a best guess. Also what if any changes you have made like gearing, tires, etc. would also affect run time.

It's not advertised but LVC is around 3.2-3.3v / cell. Many battery manufacturers (such as the late SPC) recommended 3.5v.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    It's not advertised but LVC is around 3.2-3.3v / cell. Many battery manufacturers (such as the late SPC) recommended 3.5v.
    3.5v is what I set mine at on aftermarket ESC's. And when LVC turns on my ESC's the batteries are near that voltage. Half a volt difference per cell from LVC settings voltage and battery voltage I would also look at why?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Your batteries being at 3.7v-3.8v when LVC on a Traxxas ESC doesn't sound normal. You said you have 4 batteries, one of which is a traxxas battery. Does the Traxxas battery actual show the same as the others when LVC turn on? LVC on Traxxas ESC's are known to be on the low side not on the high side of voltage cutoff. To me it sounds like the batteries you have don't have the discharge capacity needed. Voltage drop is to much under load and turning on the LVC early. With out knowing your batteries and discharge rate it all a best guess. Also what if any changes you have made like gearing, tires, etc. would also affect run time.
    thanks for the replies all. I am using two 5200 mah pwr hby batteries 50c constant 100c burst. the other battery i have is 5000 mah and is 60c. the traxxas battery is 5000mah 25c and 50c burst. everything on the truck is stock besides aluminum 17mm hubs. But yea, two of the batteries are identical and are both triggering LVC about 3.75v per core. The traxxas battery is about the same when i check it. iím starting to think something is wrong with my ESC.

RC Qualifier
    Another thing I just thought of, I've had a similar situation when I ran my Erevo in the snow. Pretty much held throttle full bore as tires had no traction. If your not running it in a different way, then I would give Traxxas a call.