Amount of grease on diff gears?

How much grease is recommended to be put on the diff gears? Iím talking the ring and pinion gears, not the inside of the diff (which I know takes oil). A few days ago I pulled them apart and re greased them with Lucas Red n Tacky but I put a good bit in there, assuming how fast they spin, I didnít want them to just sling it all off so I put a good bit in there. However next time I ran it there seemed to be about a 7mph decrease in top speed and some of the grease is coming out around the output shafts. So Iím gonna open them back up and remove it all and regrease them with hopefully the right amount.

If your going for top speed. Just coat the gears

Really doesn't have to be a lot. Everyone's preference is different based on running conditions.

For me bashing in dirty silty track, and at the beach. I pack it pretty full. My thought is that it will keep the grit and water out. And away from my bearing races. And from getting inside the diffs. Grease will come out of whatever openings and so on. I don't bother cleaning it off myself

It will get thinner and you will start to get more speed back once you run a few packs. No need to redo it unless wanted. Or going for top speed

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I just take the tip and press it on to gears, as I spin gear I apply pressure to tube basically filling tooth width of tip opening filling 99% of the tooth grooves, leaving very little if any above teeth. As soon as you spin a couple of times it fills mating teeth. I use lith or silicone grease and it will fling off inside case but sufficient amount will continue to coat surfaces. The stickier / more tacky the grease is the harder it is to turn, making more drag, higher motor temps and reduced speed. If you do regular maintenance of diffs according to usage you will be fine

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

Ok sounds good. My worry is the added strain on the motor because it has slowed it down. I already had one stock motor die for no reason, donít wanna give this one any reason at all lol. Iíll pull it back apart and lightly coat them and see what happens. Thanks guys

RC Competitor
    Anybody ever thought about putting a zerk fitting on the bulkheads, and pumping them full of grease, for running in nasty conditions?

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beavis View Post
    Anybody ever thought about putting a zerk fitting on the bulkheads, and pumping them full of grease, for running in nasty conditions?

Yes, I have too much time on my hands.
    I think it would work but i'd make another hole to "vent" that you could plug after filling to prevent from grease/air being forced out of anywhere it could.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I was being a wiseacre, and here it might be a good idea! ROFL!
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

Funny but not necessary. Speed runners use very little lube on gears. There is sufficient lube remaining on them after the fling off inside case that will protect good enough between diff maintenances. Even if you dont do maintenance I'd argue, according to my experience, those gears will still last a very long time.

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-21-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...