RC poster

Help me and my son speed up our blast a bit!

Hello everyone my son and I are enjoying our blast but he wants it to go a little faster! What's the best way to do this? Battery? Propeller? I'm not trying to spend a fortune or go crazy fast just want a little more pep out of her! Thanks everyone! Would be willing to put a better motor in as long as I can keep esc stock too what motor would work?

Start by sticking a 2S LiPo in there. The voltage of a 2S LiPo is fully compatible with the voltage range that the stock ESC works with. The only obstacle is that the stock ESC has no LVC (Low-Voltage Cut-off). A LiPo will be damaged if it is fully discharged. ESCs with a LVC will automatically slow or stop the vehicle when the LiPo voltage gets too low. So all you really need, even if the ESC does not have a LVC, is some other way of knowing when the LiPo voltage gets too low. This can be done using a LVA (Low-Voltage Alarm). This usually hooks up to the balance wires on the LiPo and will beep very loudly when the battery voltage gets too low. This is how I have my Blast setup, and it works fantastic with very long run-times.

The performance of a 2S LiPo will only be slightly better than that of a fully-charged stock 6-cell NiMH pack, but the main benefit will be that it will mostly maintain that "new battery" level of performance for the entire run-time of the pack. With the NiMH pack, you only get full performance at the beginning, then it quickly becomes slower and slower and slower.... With a LiPo you will still have ~80% or more of the performance of a fully charged battery by the time the LVA starts beeping.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Start by sticking a 2S LiPo in there. The voltage of a 2S LiPo is fully compatible with the voltage range that the stock ESC works with. The only obstacle is that the stock ESC has no LVC (Low-Voltage Cut-off). A LiPo will be damaged if it is fully discharged. ESCs with a LVC will automatically slow or stop the vehicle when the LiPo voltage gets too low. So all you really need, even if the ESC does not have a LVC, is some other way of knowing when the LiPo voltage gets too low. This can be done using a LVA (Low-Voltage Alarm). This usually hooks up to the balance wires on the LiPo and will beep very loudly when the battery voltage gets too low. This is how I have my Blast setup, and it works fantastic with very long run-times.

The performance of a 2S LiPo will only be slightly better than that of a fully-charged stock 6-cell NiMH pack, but the main benefit will be that it will mostly maintain that "new battery" level of performance for the entire run-time of the pack. With the NiMH pack, you only get full performance at the beginning, then it quickly becomes slower and slower and slower.... With a LiPo you will still have ~80% or more of the performance of a fully charged battery by the time the LVA starts beeping.
    If you do get lipos, you need to make sure you have a lipo charger or buy one if you don't.