Thread: Please help!!

RC Competitor

Angry Please help!!

I did some searches and found nothing about my problem. so And my/4 wheel drive recently went into stage 1 thermal protection and so I let it cool down and then tried to drive it and it would just grind and not move except for in little lurch as an was shoved.I thought that it might have been the bearings in the motor because they looked loose so I bought a rebuilt kit and redid everything there. So I tried to run it after I rebuilt that and it did not work and still did the same thing. I tried to get it to move give it a little kick and it moved a little farther but still in lurch as and I went un plug in the battery to ESC&E SC white to motor were Very Hot.I checked the motor and all the OHM's tested Normal And It all looks fine. What do I need to do I've Heard things that don't sound exactly correct like my problem about a little pin in the gear box or something? How do I check that if so?I don't think I cracked the magnets in the motor they didn't appear crack and it will spin without a load on it.Then whenever I connect it to my car it just goes in the lurches every time.

RC Competitor
    My motor is barley generating any torque and I have no clue what's wrong. Replacement parts?

RC Enthusiast
    Maybe check the gears. If it got super hot they could be damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Test the motor out of the truck. If all is well then with it still out spin everything that is supposed to spin by harms and feel for resistance.

If the motor still acts up try with another motor you may have. If it works then itís a motor issue otherwise it is an ESC problem. Try to isolate the trouble part.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    It appears to spin fine without a load I'll test with a different motor some other time of I can get a hold of one

How is your gear mesh?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    How is your gear mesh?
    It is set as shown by traxxas

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What do you mean traxxas shows how to set the gear mesh?

Is your slipper clutch tight? Did you possibly loose a drive pin in an axle? Is the motor audibly spinning when truck is on ground and not moving? Is your pinion gear tight?

With the motor out, you can see if when you have a decent grip on the motor shaft or pinion. If it is impossible for you to hold, the motor is good. If it doesn't have the torque to break free from your fingers, the motor is bad.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Kw3277 View Post
    It is set as shown by traxxas
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post

Is your slipper clutch tight? Did you possibly loose a drive pin in an axle? Is the motor audibly spinning when truck is on ground and not moving? Is your pinion gear tight?
    Probably with the paper strip method as mentioned in the manual(s).
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    With the motor out, you can see if when you have a decent grip on the motor shaft or pinion. If it is impossible for you to hold, the motor is good. If it doesn't have the torque to break free from your fingers, the motor is bad.
    It spins when I hold it but when In the truck it doesn't
    Last edited by Kw3277; 01-22-2020 at 12:21 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post

How do I check drive pins and where are they?

RC Competitor
    So I'm looking into new motors that are fairly cheap. What kind do I want for under 100?? Is there some way to judge the power they have? Any recommendations?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kw3277 View Post
    So I'm looking into new motors that are fairly cheap. What kind do I want for under 100?? Is there some way to judge the power they have? Any recommendations?
    I wouldn’t go that round until you are sure the drive line is free from resistance and your motor mount and plate are true, not bent or otherwise. You can overthermal a new motor.
    Slash Ultimate 4x4, MMX-2200kv/Slash 4x4, MMX-2650

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bif24701 View Post
    I wouldn’t go that round until you are sure the drive line is free from resistance and your motor mount and plate are true, not bent or otherwise. You can overthermal a new motor.
    It did end up being a motor replacement but my clutch was also toast but it's fixed now