Problem with TRX 2.5 at half thottle

Hi Guys

I am not sure why Nitro Rustler section is not work, when I post a thread in there, it just vanishes.

Anyway, I have a Nitro Rustler which I cant figure out what is wrong with.

The engine is complete gutless after a WOT pass.
    If I was to do another WOT, it would go like its half throttle, even though I have the trigger fully pulled.

Or, if I run it about half throttle and then want to do a WOT, gutless again.

If I then let it sit idle for a few seconds and take off again, it runs normal as it should.

Its almost like I need the engine to load up on fuel a little so that I can reach full speed.

Not sure if this means that the engine is near the end of its life.

Thanks a lot for your support.

With the engine off do a test (simulate the length of time of your WOT pass) with the electronics and see what happens to the servo - does it open halfway or full the second time around? What batteries or pack are you using? If it passes that test, then make sure the system is air tight from the air filter to the pipe.

What sound is it making? Does it sound like it is choking (think Chewbacca) which is lean or just does it seem like it takes a while to get up to speed and has a bit of smoke (rich)?
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    With the engine off do a test (simulate the length of time of your WOT pass) with the electronics and see what happens to the servo - does it open halfway or full the second time around? What batteries or pack are you using? If it passes that test, then make sure the system is air tight from the air filter to the pipe.

What sound is it making? Does it sound like it is choking (think Chewbacca) which is lean or just does it seem like it takes a while to get up to speed and has a bit of smoke (rich)?
    Its hard for me to explain.
    Its definitely not the lean bogging sound.

It sort of gargles likes its running super rich, then takes off really nice. But it doesn't always do this, and its also not that typical running rich drowning sound.
    If I accelerate nice and slowly it will always reach top speed.
    If I do a WOT and then keep revving it until I turn around and do another pass, it always will not take off and reach top speed, until I stop and wait a few seconds then take off again.
    It needs to load up on fuel for it work as it should.
    If I don't stop and keeping reeving it even more it will either run completely gutless or just shut off.

The engine has seen a fair bit of use, so not sure if maybe needles and carb need cleaning, or engine is just nearing its end.

I have another nitro rustler which hasn't had a lot of fuel trough it and managed to tune it really well. Runs great.

Thanks
    Last edited by gandalfnz; 01-20-2020 at 01:10 PM.

RC Champion
    Try replacing your fuel line and also the fuel filter. Try and make sure there are no sharp bends or kinks in your fuel line as well.

RC Qualifier
    What are your needles set at? Idle gap? Have you tried going back to factory settings and retune? Sounds like your needles could be set wrong. What happens to engine RPM after a WOT pass? RPM's hang high for few seconds or drop?

My quick guess (One is set rich and the other set lean). HSN set lean, LSN set rich, idle opening more than 1mm.

My experience with a bad engine is no matter how I tune it, it had no power and/or overheats.

Hi

Let me try and answer the all the questions asked.

I did a WOT simulation without driving the car and the servo opens normally, it never jams or goes hard.
    I am using Eneloop NiMh batteries for Tx and Rx.

I have removed the fuel lines and tested them for leaks, have blocked one end with a finger and blew air on the other. They seem pretty air tight to me.
    The same air filter I used on my other Rustler which runs flawlessly.

LSN is one or one and a half turn out from flush.
    HSN is almost 5 turns out.

Now keep in mind please, that at almost 5 turns out I get temps are around 230F. Its very hot and dry outside with temps around 85F.
    For LSN, if I lean it even a tiny bit more, my idle goes too high, so much that the car starts to spin the wheels and wants to take off.

Idle gap is around 0.5 mm, almost at a minimum.

Thanks for all your help!

RC Qualifier
    When you lean the LSN your idle would go up, then you would lower the idle with the idle screw to lower it back down. Don't think that because you have your gap set you cannot close it more. The factory settings are a starting point only. What does the LSN pinch test show you.