RC Competitor

Question about shocks

I just got my third run in on my rustler 4x4 vxl, i went over a BIG jump and lost one of my rear bottom spring retainers, is there anyway to fix this from popping off and what part number is the replacement part from traxxas? And what other upgraded do i need to do that are cheap...

RC poster
    I fixed my VXL 4x4 Rustler and Slash with cheap Amazon Hobbypark big bore aluminum shocks. Running 45 oil in Rustler and 40 oil in Slash currently. Took them to bmx track and bashed them very hard and zero issues so far. Springs that come with them are a little stiff on the front but so far are working better than I expected. Raised the the fronts a little but are still stable. Cost was $27.98 for all 4 shocks with springs. Only draw back are the screws that came with it are Phillips head screws and not Allen’s. Just make sure to mount with the larger offset of shock swivels towards the a-arm to clear. The gap on the spring retainer is much tighten than the stock Traxxas retainers and they stay in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendarose View Post
    I just got my third run in on my rustler 4x4 vxl, i went over a BIG jump and lost one of my rear bottom spring retainers, is there anyway to fix this from popping off and what part number is the replacement part from traxxas? And what other upgraded do i need to do that are cheap...
    If you like the ultra shocks but the aluminum caps for them. Can get all 4 caps for 14 bucks in a few colors. You can also get slash GTR shocks off eBay for a decent price, people love them. Iíve also seen people praise the big bore shocks by Traxxas as well, they look nice and you get all 4 with springs for 59.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    If you like the ultra shocks but the aluminum caps for them. Can get all 4 caps for 14 bucks in a few colors. You can also get slash GTR shocks off eBay for a decent price, people love them. Iíve also seen people praise the big bore shocks by Traxxas as well, they look nice and you get all 4 with springs for 59.99.

OP, Iím also a fan of the gtr shocks but start with rocketís suggestion about al caps. The ultra shocks are surprisingly competent with the cap upgrade and you can achieve wide range of performance with just playing around with fluid viscosity/volume and spring rates.

RC poster
    Does replacing the caps to aluminum some how make the retainers stay in better?

Quote Originally Posted by Murff View Post
    Does replacing the caps to aluminum some how make the retainers stay in better?
    Retainers?

RC Enthusiast
    I’ve seen 3D printed shock caps with holes in them specifically so that you can zip tie it to the spring and that way it won’t pop off.
    Xmaxx 8S, Arrma Infraction, Nitro Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Retainers?

The spring retainers at the rod ends. I have had some issues with them popping off my GTRs on my 2wd Slash. Fortunately I've found them every time.

The Ultimate 4x4 comes with GTRs that have captured spring retainers.

The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The spring retainers at the rod ends. I have had some issues with them popping off my GTRs on my 2wd Slash. Fortunately I've found them every time.

The Ultimate 4x4 comes with GTRs that have captured spring retainers.

Oh I see. I was thinking those were what they were talking about. Iíll have to grab some of those captured retainers next week for my set of GTRs

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Iíve seen 3D printed shock caps with holes in them specifically so that you can zip tie it to the spring and that way it wonít pop off.
    Shock caps have little to do with retaining springs though, thatís the job of the little cup that goes between the shock cap and spring.

Is your spring too loose? Now that I think back, some ultra shocks do have springs that are a little too short without preload, and you need a few of the included preload spacers to add just enough tension so that spring doesnít move when the shock is fully extended.

RC poster
    Hey guys, I know this forum is not about shock towers, but I have a question. I'm new to the r/c world and bought a rustler 4x4 vxl a couple weeks ago. I have heard from reading alot of these threads and among other conversations that the slash 4x4 and the rustler 4x4 parts are the same. My question is is the shock towers from the slash the same as the rustler. I ask cause I have been looking at a billet machined suspension kit anodized blue and would like to purchase it but I dont know if the towers will work. Thank you in advance for the help

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jldavis8689 View Post
    Hey guys, I know this forum is not about shock towers, but I have a question. I'm new to the r/c world and bought a rustler 4x4 vxl a couple weeks ago. I have heard from reading alot of these threads and among other conversations that the slash 4x4 and the rustler 4x4 parts are the same. My question is is the shock towers from the slash the same as the rustler. I ask cause I have been looking at a billet machined suspension kit anodized blue and would like to purchase it but I dont know if the towers will work. Thank you in advance for the help
    They will fit, however you will have to change the body. The Rustler 4x4 uses the clipless body mounting, but the Slash uses clips. The Slash is also slightly longer, so the Slash body is not a direct fit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Shock caps have little to do with retaining springs though, that’s the job of the little cup that goes between the shock cap and spring.

Is your spring too loose? Now that I think back, some ultra shocks do have springs that are a little too short without preload, and you need a few of the included preload spacers to add just enough tension so that spring doesn’t move when the shock is fully extended.
    I didn’t say they retain the spring. You zip tie them to the spring so that when you hit a jump you don’t lose the lower cap like most people seem to do with stock rustler 4x4 shocks.
    Xmaxx 8S, Arrma Infraction, Nitro Rustler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    I didn’t say they retain the spring. You zip tie them to the spring so that when you hit a jump you don’t lose the lower cap like most people seem to do with stock rustler 4x4 shocks.
    So there is the shock cap that everyone talks about that goes on top of the shock body by threading onto the top of the shock body, and then there is the rod end spring perch that threads on to the lower end of the steel or whatever material rod that moves in and out of the shock body. Are you talking about the rod end spring perch?

It’s a little confusing because most of the time, when people say they lose the cap on the ultra shocks, it’s the top cap that flies off and spill oil everywhere.

So there is the shock cap that everyone talks about that goes on top of the shock body by threading onto the top of the shock body, and then there is the rod end spring perch that threads on to the lower end of the steel or whatever material rod that moves in and out of the shock body. Are you talking about the rod end spring perch?

It’s a little confusing because most of the time, when people say they lose the cap on the ultra shocks, it’s the top cap that flies off and spill oil everywhere.
    There is the shock cap. The rod end is threaded for the shock shaft which has a hole for the hollow ball to hold the screw that attaches to the arm. The spring retainer sits on the rod end and "retains" the spring. The OP specifically stated

lost one of my rear bottom spring retainers
    which I took to mean the retainer that I referenced above (though I linked the captured and not the standard). Someone else made a reply about the shock cap. Most often people say the shock cap blew off which released the oil. It is rare the retainer on the bottom pops off but it does and I've had it happen to me a handful of times.

The shock has a cap, body, spring adjusters/upper retainers (either clips on the Ultra & Big Bore or threaded on GTR), spring, spring retainer, shaft and rod end. Inside has the bladder and piston.

Feel free to click on this link https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Sl...-Rear-Assembly and on the right side is the shock. Click on the part numbers to bring up the names and cost of each part.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    There is the shock cap. The rod end is threaded for the shock shaft which has a hole for the hollow ball to hold the screw that attaches to the arm. The spring retainer sits on the rod end and "retains" the spring. The OP specifically stated

which I took to mean the retainer that I referenced above (though I linked the captured and not the standard). Someone else made a reply about the shock cap. Most often people say the shock cap blew off which released the oil. It is rare the retainer on the bottom pops off but it does and I've had it happen to me a handful of times.

The shock has a cap, body, spring adjusters/upper retainers (either clips on the Ultra & Big Bore or threaded on GTR), spring, spring retainer, shaft and rod end. Inside has the bladder and piston.

Feel free to click on this link https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Sl...-Rear-Assembly and on the right side is the shock. Click on the part numbers to bring up the names and cost of each part.
    I was addressing Defiant1 and wasn’t intending to create confusion.

I was addressing Defiant1 and wasn’t intending to create confusion.
    It's all good.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Pay for shipping and ill send you these retainers for free

RC poster
    I bought the hobbypark shocks for my slash 4 x 4, but they are leaking oil - anyone else seen this? Solutions?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderbrit View Post
    I bought the hobbypark shocks for my slash 4 x 4, but they are leaking oil - anyone else seen this? Solutions?
    They're not the best quality. You may not be able to get them to seal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I had the exact same problem with my Rustler 4x4 VXL the first time I took it out. I called Traxxas and they sent me 2 new lower spring seats/retainers. Part # 3768. I then glued all 4 retainers to the shock mounts with CR glue and have not had a problem since. It also helps if you add more spacers to the spring as this will keep pressure on the retainer keeping it from coming loose.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH P. View Post
    I had the exact same problem with my Rustler 4x4 VXL the first time I took it out. I called Traxxas and they sent me 2 new lower spring seats/retainers. Part # 3768. I then glued all 4 retainers to the shock mounts with CR glue and have not had a problem since. It also helps if you add more spacers to the spring as this will keep pressure on the retainer keeping it from coming loose.
    Yup I had the same problem, switched to proline, no more shocks falling apart

RC Enthusiast
    RPM makes a hefty version of the spring retainer thing. I just installed some on my ultra shocks.