RC Competitor

How to get out water in tires?

How do i get out the water in my tires with out drilling holes?

Kiln-dry them.

Just kidding. Honestly, there should be holes in the tires (don't DON'T "drill"them), along the center of the tread. If two holes, on opposite sides...if three holes, 1/3 around for each. Get a good tire hope punch from your LHS, such as the one made by AKA. If they don't carry them and/or can't order them, Amain Hobbies carries them...but, ALWAYS try to support your LHS first, especially in regards to parts & accessories (kits, not-so-much, as they make almost no profile).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by Panther6834; 01-20-2020 at 08:58 PM.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Myself I just heated up the end of a metal coat hanger until it was glowing and punched it right through. Leaves a nice hole (lol). I didnít have any luck with the soldering iron method.

RC Competitor
    Do i have to put holes in the tires at all? Ive heard that it just makes it worse...or could i just squeeze it out???

Quote Originally Posted by Kendarose View Post
    Do i have to put holes in the tires at all? Ive heard that it just makes it worse...or could i just squeeze it out???
    Whether in the tires, or in the wheels, yes...and no. It depends on the surface you run on, and can also depends on the type of tires. There are several reasons for 'venting' tires/wheels.

For example, at high speeds, tires tend to "balloon", causing the diameter to increase (depending on several factors, it can balloon to over 1.5x the normal diameter). When this happens, it also means the width is decreased, and, most importantly, the amount of tire surface in contact with the ground is GREATLY decreased. With holes in the tires/wheels, this helps to lessen the ballooning event. Of course, another way is to use belted tires, for which it's almost impossible for them to "balloon".

Another example...and one directed specifically at your current problem, had to do with water inside the tires. This usually happens because the tires aren't completely glued to the wheels (ie. there's a 'gap' in the seal). It can also happen because the wheels are 'vented', but the tires aren't. If the wheels are vented, and the rim gets submerged, water will enter. A vented tire, spun at high speed, will push that water out of the tire.

On my street & crawling wheels/tires, all have vented tires. On my race vehicles, all have vented wheels. Some others vent the tires on their race vehicles, but I'm still too new the understand the pluses & minuses of each over the other.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Kendarose View Post
    How do i get out the water in my tires with out drilling holes?

On my Rustler I made 4 holes in each tire, 2 in line with the holes in the rims and 2 others at 90 degres. (north/south/east/west) Ideally for making those holes I use a 1/8 leather punch, but when the tires are rimed, it's possible to take a pair of long nose plier and pull out the rubber in the middle of the tire, then I took an exacto and I made a cut in semi circle of about 3/32. (2.3mm) So when the rubber stretch is released, I ended up with holes of about 1/8 size. (3.1mm) And you can be sure when I apply full throttle, all of the water gets out almost immediately, also you can install the truck upside down to make them turn at full RPM, but if you hope to keep the ceiling clean, I suggest to perform this outside with the use of safety glasses.

Obviously you can use the method of your choice but the way of doing suggested by Justin will give a better result with perfect rounded holes.
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC77 View Post
    Obviously you can use the method of your choice but the way of doing suggested by Justin will give a better result with perfect rounded holes.
    The "problem" with Justin's method...in using anything 'hot'...is that you'll probably also melt the foam inside the tires around where you "poked" through. That is why using a tire/leather hole punch is the best, and smartest, method.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    The "problem" with Justin's method...in using anything 'hot'...is that you'll probably also melt the foam inside the tires around where you "poked" through. That is why using a tire/leather hole punch is the best, and smartest, method.

Good observation and I also thought about that but to achieve a good job with this method, someone will need to be precise and not drop down any further than necessary, the only problem with the leather punch is that it's impossible to achieve a hole when the tire is rimed.

Unless you have a tip to give us to realize it..?
    Good driver. Bad setup. Bad things will happen...

I just use a 1/8" drill bit in my dremel with light pressure and a relatively high speed. Kind of burns a hole in the tire. Been doing this for 20 years and have yet to have a tire rip at the hole I put in it. They usually rip from cuts at the bead from running on concrete.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Ran these original stampede tires till no tread was left and never had an issue with tire damage from drilling holes in them. I used drill bit method. I put holes in every tire I've ever owned across 15 different rcs and all spare tires I have. Just 2 holes 180į from each other close to center is all you'll need. No need for more or in different spots. Holes dont need to be perfectly cauterize this ain't surgery lol. Just keep it simple. It's not end of the world if tiny bit of foam is messed up you just dont want a big plug to be pulled through hole or it waded up inside tire. It's not that critical lol. Just get some holes in em and happy bashing!

Just one more rc, then I'm done.
    Last edited by Briber; 01-22-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...