Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10

    2 x 2255 with 5344X as steering upgrade

    Hi guys,

    First I want to tell you that like 12 yrs ago I've had an E-Revo brushless 1/16 with Mamba Castle Creation but since then I abandoned this hobby. My 10 yr. kid saw some pictures of it and he wanted an E-Revo so I decided to get and E-Revo 2.0 as X-Maxx was way over my budget. I bought a Purple Edition E-Revo VXL (2.0).

    Second, I don't want to debate if 2 x 2255 worth the money to use them in dual setup as I've got a very good deal for them brand new so I decided to use them as upgrade on my brand new E-Revo 2.0 together with 5344X.

    I'll run 4S - 2 x 2S 7600mAh TRX ID batt and don't need more for the moment (my 10 yr kid will play mostly with it and for the beginning will be in training mode at 20% max for him ). Also installed Link wireless module and Traxxas rear chassis brace.
    Before the questions I have, I want to explain the reason why...so, beside the good deal is that the stock servos are acting strange even if I set up them. Short story is that when the car is still they are buzzing but if I move a little bit the car front or reverse they stop and a small movement of wheels is happening. Also, when moving wheels left or right when the car is still, they are buzzing and until I'm not moving the car they don't stop buzzing but they don't seem to try to get to center position or fight each other.
    They do this even without link between them (I took out everything and let them free and they do the same). The car is brand new, never taken out, smashed or bashed.

    These are the main reasons I decided to go with dual 2255 and changing servo saver to 5344X is recommended but my questions are:

    1. Do I really need an external BEC to run them together? Is there any risk to fry internal BEC of the ESC if using two of them without external BEC?
    2. Should I change to alu horns? I think plastic should be fine and will better protect the gear in case of some hard collisions.
    3. Is 5344X enough to handle them both and protect the car? Trx say that is recommended when using a servo with metal gears not two of them.

    Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for this long post.
    Last edited by dragos.jurca; 01-21-2020 at 04:59 AM.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    455
    Is the tsm turned on or off? Dial is next to steering. May also have it in the link app.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    TSM turned off, trim set to 0 (in app checked and also on remote). It is very strange as it does this right out of the box.

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    Forgot to mention that out of the box it asked for updates so all current updates are installed with no issues at all.

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    That is normal for the digital HV servos. They will make a buzzing noise sitting at idle. Perfectly normal. I will recommend taking your time to set the dual servos up the right way.

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    That is normal for the digital HV servos. They will make a buzzing noise sitting at idle. Perfectly normal. I will recommend taking your time to set the dual servos up the right way.
    Thank you, did not think that this might be the cause especially after reading a lot of problems with stock servos.
    As for my questions, do you have any opinions? I already ordered parts because of very good price of servo (I bought them in Europe with better price than US).

    Thx again.
    Last edited by dragos.jurca; 01-21-2020 at 01:29 PM.

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Texas, by God!
    Posts
    59
    2x 2255 is major overkill. I'm running a single 2255, and the truck handles extremely well. If it were my truck, I'd save the money, and run a single 2255.
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    the deal was for two units so I took the bait .

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Texas, by God!
    Posts
    59
    Nice score!

    I'd run one, and hold the second for emergencies, but that's just me.

    From experience, DO NOT run it on the MXL-6S ESC. I managed to cook the BEC in one, even after turning the BEC to 7.4VDC.
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    I have VXL-6S as it is an E-Revo 2.0 so I'm safe with one . Not sure with two but probably yes.I was thinking to keep one as spare but not sure..I think two servos working together (push-pull) seems less stress on each of them even if they are harder to set up.

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    A one servo setup is much less parts to break. Save one for just in case. Run one, youíll have plenty of torque with just one. 400oz @ 6vdc is very good. I used to use a single 300oz one on my OG ERBE. It worked good. I would think one would be plenty for the erevo 2.0. Less moving parts, donít have to worry about them getting misaligned then fighting each other and eventually burning up. And if it ever happens that you either get another RC or one servo goes out, youíll have one on hand that you know will work with just about any application. If you are like the rest of use here, one RC will never be enough. You will end up with more then 1. Trust me on this one

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    64
    I have 1 of these servos on my 2.0. I actually do have 2 of these and have ran them together, but decided to go single and have one as a spare or for other rc’s. No need to run 2 of these

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-The-Ace View Post
    I have 1 of these servos on my 2.0. I actually do have 2 of these and have ran them together, but decided to go single and have one as a spare or for other rcís. No need to run 2 of these
    When run with two, did you encountered any issues setting them up or why did you decided to go with one? I think that using two means less strain on servo as they are working by push-pull and also they can handle better wheels shocks than a single one (less strain).

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    As the last poster said, there is just no need to run 2. Even if you do have 2, itís just not needed. Keep one as a spare for future use either in anther vehicle or if you ever do have a servo failure. That or sell one and recoup your money for one of them. This way you spend little to nothing on the one.

  15. #15
    RC Racer justin13703's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    209
    I’m pretty sure that even the upgraded servo saver spring will not hold up to over 400 oz of torque. Meaning the spring will give before the servo maxes out it’s torque. So running two of them will literally get you nothing but needlessly putting wear on a second (normally very expensive) servo. Not to mention the added electrical draw to run both. You also run the risk of the alignment getting out of sync and killing one or both of them.

    Really, just use one, and keep the other one brand new as a backup.

  16. #16
    RC Champion RICK DIZZLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    1,227
    Not jumping on the bandwagon here...but full agreement that this will be overkill. I run a single Savox 1231sg and its way more then enough power. Running 2 pulling that much draw on the stock electronics could easily cause a brown out situation on the truck. I'd keep it for a spare or sell it and make some cash back. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for ya!

  17. #17
    RC Champion olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    I’m pretty sure that even the upgraded servo saver spring will not hold up to over 400 oz of torque. Meaning the spring will give before the servo maxes out it’s torque. So running two of them will literally get you nothing but needlessly putting wear on a second (normally very expensive) servo. Not to mention the added electrical draw to run both. You also run the risk of the alignment getting out of sync and killing one or both of them.

    Really, just use one, and keep the other one brand new as a backup.
    I'm with this guy. Just seems like your adding potential problems because you can. I have a box full of backup servos. I run a single 300oz on my ERBEv2 with 3.8" trenchers and it does just fine.

    Anyone know what the stall current of the 2255 is? I can find the speed/torque @6V but not the current draw.

    Seems like the 2260 BEC traxxas offers puts out around 5A:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6480322

    So guessing the 2255 is less than that at stall.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    Canít find a lick of info on stall current. As you stated just the speed and torque is all they list.

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos.jurca View Post
    When run with two, did you encountered any issues setting them up or why did you decided to go with one? I think that using two means less strain on servo as they are working by push-pull and also they can handle better wheels shocks than a single one (less strain).
    Didn’t have any issues with setting them up. It’s really very easy if you understand what your doing. I will say I was having some glitches while applying throttle at times. Like electrical popping noises and it would momentarily cut out. I have no idea if it had anything to do with the dual servos. I haven’t drove the truck much since switching to single servo. I was just trying to rule out things and also shed some weight. I have not noticed a single difference in drivability since switching to the single. Haven’t noticed the cutting out since, but also haven’t driven it much yet since the switch either.

  20. #20
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,041
    You were most likely experiencing brown out from pulling too much amperage from the ESCís BEC. I would bet that running 2 of the 2255 servos was placing a strain on the internal BEC of the esc. This is another reason to only run one of these servos. Really and truly only one is needed. Really donít see needing 800oz of torque for this vehicle. Itís just way too overkill.

  21. #21
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    You were most likely experiencing brown out from pulling too much amperage from the ESC’s BEC. I would bet that running 2 of the 2255 servos was placing a strain on the internal BEC of the esc. This is another reason to only run one of these servos. Really and truly only one is needed. Really don’t see needing 800oz of torque for this vehicle. It’s just way too overkill.
    Exactly why I wanted to eliminate this. That was my thoughts too. But my issue with that though was I would think those brown outs would only happen while under load. Meaning turning and also hitting the throttle at the same time and then noticing the brown outs. But it didn’t seem to happen that way. At lease I didn’t notice that. Once I drive the thing more I’ll know for sure. But I don’t plan to switch back to dual. This thing is fine on this one servo!

  22. #22
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    Is there any cover specific for E-Revo 1/10 to cover the hole if using one servo only? I saw something but for 1/16.
    Thx guys for advices.

    P.S .Contacted Traxxas support and they said to call them as the symptoms might need servicing.
    Can't call them as I'm in Europe and time difference don't let me .

  23. #23
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos.jurca View Post
    Is there any cover specific for E-Revo 1/10 to cover the hole if using one servo only? I saw something but for 1/16.
    Thx guys for advices.

    P.S .Contacted Traxxas support and they said to call them as the symptoms might need servicing.
    Can't call them as I'm in Europe and time difference don't let me .
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/5H...vo-cover-plate

    This is what I use. Perfect fit. Just a 3D printed piece. But it fits properly unlike the traxxas cover.

  24. #24
    RC Champion RICK DIZZLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    1,227
    /\ that's what I use too after Ed recommended it...awesome product!

  25. #25
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed-The-Ace View Post
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/5H...vo-cover-plate

    This is what I use. Perfect fit. Just a 3D printed piece. But it fits properly unlike the traxxas cover.
    Thx for info...I cheked but seems they charge a lot for shipping...twice the cost of the good. .
    I'll keep looking or I'll use a plate from one of my futaba navo servos with the hole covered.

  26. #26
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by dragos.jurca View Post
    Thx for info...I cheked but seems they charge a lot for shipping...twice the cost of the good. .
    I'll keep looking or I'll use a plate from one of my futaba navo servos with the hole covered.
    Yes shipping isn’t a great deal but if you want a perfect fit that is all I could find. Worth it to me to have a good fit

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    601
    I plan on myself and have seen others use the Slayer Pro servo hole cover part# 5326X. Took very little work to get it to fit the electric chassis's. And for a list price of $3.00 worth the little bit of work. Just need to cut of the little nubs by the screw holes.

  28. #28
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I plan on myself and have seen others use the Slayer Pro servo hole cover part# 5326X. Took very little work to get it to fit the electric chassis's. And for a list price of $3.00 worth the little bit of work. Just need to cut of the little nubs by the screw holes.
    Perfect, thanks, I'll check it. For 3$ for sure worth to buy 2 just to be safe .

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •