RC poster

Stampede purchase help

I am in the process of buying a Traxxas Stampede. My friendís all have 1/10 scale stampedes and Iíd like to join in on the fun! Iíd like to spend as little money as possible and I already have batteries and a charger. The reason I am asking this question and not just buying the xl-5 is because Iíve been looking on the used market. Today I ran across a deal for a 2010 traxxas stampede VXL with a few spare parts. The price is only 120 dollars. Does anyone know if this 2010 model will last me or is it in the process of degrading. I appreciate all the answers and feedback on what I should do and look forward to becoming a new member of the Traxxas community. Thank you all for your time, Grant.

RC Qualifier
    Like any used vehicle, full size OR RC , it could be degraded, but by no means is it “used up”
    It sounds like a good deal to me. If it is a local sale, see if the seller will
    Let you test it out, make sure everything works.
    The good news is, the Stampede is simple and cheap to work on. I would say go for it. Especially for the VXL.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice! Do you think the brushless motor and esc still has life? He only ran Nimh from what I can tell. Thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    Brushless motors are pretty much low maintenance. Occasionally re oil the bearings. They are actually less prone to failure than brushed motors. If they get overheated they can go kaput, but you’ll be able tell right away if it’s dead. The esc is kind of the same way. That said , I did buy an older used rustler once about 5 year ago. The motor in that combo did crap out on me because I was running big Pro line tires with a too big pinion gear. I swapped the ESC into my Slash and bought a $25 Tacon motor to re place the vxl and have been running strong ever since.
    I would not be afraid to buy a $120 Stampede with vxl system.
    One thing to check on the truck itself, make sure all the bearings turn smoothly.
    If you do buy it I would do a quick tear down, clean and lube before I started bashing.
    Good luck, I can’t wait to see what you decide

RC poster
    Thank you so much! I think I’m gonna go for it as I don’t have much to loose with it it only being 120 bucks. What should I use to oil the bearings? Thank you so much for your advice, it’s been incredibly helpful!

RC Qualifier
    I usually clean with WD 40 or electronics cleaner and then oil with 3 n 1 oil .
    There’s a newer product called Rust Patrol I’m experimenting with using, but I don’t know if you can find it where you are located.
    Whatever you use try to wipe off the excess. Extra oil/ grease etc just attracts more dust and makes more maintenance.

RC poster
    Thank you, I definitely do a disassembly when I get it. I’ll make sure to check back up with an update after I get the truck. Thank you so much!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantwhitlow16 View Post
    Thank you, I definitely do a disassembly when I get it. I’ll make sure to check back up with an update after I get the truck. Thank you so much!
    I’m currently finishing reassembly of a 2nd Stampede right now. I cleaned all the bearings from the spare/ donor parts and cleaned out/ new grease in the transmission, it will
    Be all ready for brushless power in the spring. ( no point in overpowering it while I can barely get traction )
    I fabricated my own radio box and Esc mount out of plexi. I’ll
    Have to post some pictures later.

RC poster
    Hello! As promised, I bought the truck and giving an update. Everything looks to be working great! I’ve given the truck a great clean up and it’s looking almost new (for a ten year old truck)! I did have a question about gearing though. The guy was running 19-86. Is that good or should I change to the 25-86. I’m mostly driving off-road. Thank you!

RC poster
    Stay with the 19-tooth if you're driving off-road. The higher tooth pinion is for road/street driving for speed runs. (Pg 27 in the manual) Even dropping a tooth depending on the terrain can help keep the motor cooler.

RC Qualifier
    I have 16-86 in my Brushed model. I think 19-86 is fine for a vxl off road.
    Like Grizzly said above. The 25 tooth is more suited for pavement speed runs.
    And congrats on the Purchase. I think you got a pretty good deal. Enjoy and have fun!

RC poster
    Thanks man. I think a got a pretty good deal on it too. I appreciate all the help and feedback, the traxxas community is awesome!

Stay with the stock gearing for the vxl.