RC poster

Newb/Noob question on traxxas batteries and ID chargers

So start by saying I am entering my son and myself into the hobby after I took a 30 yr hiatus lol.
    We bought a couple of traxxas Slash brushless 4x4s
    We are on hunt now for lipo batteries and charger.
    It seems the traxxas branded stuff comes at a premium. I noticed in battery section folks recommending SMC lipos. Wondering what the benefit would be to stick with traxxas batteries or charger or go different route?
    Looking for opinions from folks here who have been using the stuff for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I am a Traxxas fan, I have never used their batteries or chargers, nor do I plan to. I think they are a little expensive for what they are. The up-side, is that the whole mess is basically plug-n-play, if you are not comfortable with soldering, rewiring or adapters, staying with Traxxas chargers and batteries is the way to go.

But, if you are comfortable with changing out connectors, they you have the whole spectrum of RC grade chargers and batteries to choose from.

SMC packs are great, and REALLY hard to beat for the price. You can order them with just about any connector you wish, or without connectors at all. My connector of choice are the Deans T-style, I have been using them for over 15 years, they work and I have had no problems with them. A lot of people like XT connectors, and likely for a Slash you'd want to go with XT-90s.

Hope this helps.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Welcome back!

SMC also gives you the choice to use the first gen trx connecters, which will work with your slashes. But, you can't use the traxxas chargers with them as they have to have the 2nd gen connecters to charge em.
    I like free stuff!

Just to add to the above post. The Traxxas system really makes the whole thing as safe as possible (not fool proof though). Safety should be your #1 priority with ANY lipo and charging system and Traxxas has done a very good job in making the process safe. Yeah, they are more expensive, but your paying for more than just the batteries & charger.

Welcome back to the hobby!
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
    Just to add to the above post. The Traxxas system really makes the whole thing as safe as possible (not fool proof though). Safety should be your #1 priority with ANY lipo and charging system and Traxxas has done a very good job in making the process safe. Yeah, they are more expensive, but your paying for more than just the batteries & charger.

I didnít think of that part. At 8 he is smart but still learning. Plus he is stubborn and likes to do things himself. That might be the better way to go.
    Iím sure Iíll have a bunch more wacky questions so thank you all for helping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post

I see your point, but fundamentally I have to disagree with your premise.

The simplicity of the Traxxas system is that balancing and charging are all taken care of by the charger, and the user doesn't have to mess with balance boards and such. From that stand point, it is easier to use. But, from one brand charger to the next, one is just as safe (or not safe) and the other. I think the simplistic operation of this system, and the lack of charging knowledge needed to operate it lulls the user into a false sense of safety, making the user unwittingly complacent.

The simple fact is charging batteries, no matter how slick the interface or connectors, has risk to be mitigated. Today's lithium chemistry is a lot more stable and less prone to energetic release when made unhappy. But, no matter who's charger and batteries you are using, the key safety factor is the user. The user has to ensure the charger is properly set up to charge the given pack, and most importantly, the user should stay relatively close to the charging system if something should go wrong. Along with this, the user should have a plan of what to do if a charging pack does decide to go nuclear. In my case, I charge on an insulted metal rack, and I have welder's gloves, eye protection and a fire extinguisher close at hand if something should go wrong.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I see your point, but fundamentally I have to disagree with your premise.

The simplicity of the Traxxas system is that balancing and charging are all taken care of by the charger, and the user doesn't have to mess with balance boards and such. From that stand point, it is easier to use. But, from one brand charger to the next, one is just as safe (or not safe) and the other. I think the simplistic operation of this system, and the lack of charging knowledge needed to operate it lulls the user into a false sense of safety, making the user unwittingly complacent.

The simple fact is charging batteries, no matter how slick the interface or connectors, has risk to be mitigated. Today's lithium chemistry is a lot more stable and less prone to energetic release when made unhappy. But, no matter who's charger and batteries you are using, the key safety factor is the user. The user has to ensure the charger is properly set up to charge the given pack, and most importantly, the user should stay relatively close to the charging system if something should go wrong. Along with this, the user should have a plan of what to do if a charging pack does decide to go nuclear. In my case, I charge on an insulted metal rack, and I have welder's gloves, eye protection and a fire extinguisher close at hand if something should go wrong.
    I completely agree and your statement only adds the the quality of this thread. I mentioned that the Traxxas system isn't fool proof and this is exactly what I meant. The human is definitely key in these situations and more knowledge is the only way we can better ourselves. That is why I love forums!
    Revo .18TM BL Rustler Stampede MERV HPI Sprint 2

Everyone has their own opinion but as far as mine, if I was getting an 8 yr old into this stuff, I would absolutely use the traxxas batteries/chargers. The biggest negative is they are a bit more expensive. But I will say even myself, at 30yrs old and very good with technology, I have no desire to even change to a different type of charger. All I want to do is charge them up to use them, and put them at storage voltage when I’m done. And you absolutely won’t do that any simpler than with the traxxas chargers and batteries. It’s literally a plug it in and press 1 button deal. They don’t give you as much info or options as other chargers, but they are designed to be simple. And I have no problem soldering either, but changing out connectors on my vehicles and making sure I get the right connectors on future batteries just isn’t worth it to me.

Like I said, everyone has their own opinion and everyone is into their hobby at a different level. I only have a couple trucks and a couple batteries and I want it as simple as possible. The traxxas “Live” chargers are a good compromise, still simple but give you more information than the standard charger.
    Last edited by justin13703; 01-25-2020 at 10:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion...All I want to do is charge them up to use them, and put them at storage voltage when Iím done. And you absolutely wonít do that any simpler than with the traxxas chargers and batteries. Itís literally a plug it in and press 1 button deal. They donít give you as much info or options as other chargers, but they are designed to be simple...
    Like I said, everyone has their own opinion and everyone is into their hobby at a different level...I want it as simple as possible. The traxxas ďLiveĒ chargers are a good compromise, still simple but give you more information than the standard charger.
    Most kids and newbies just want simple fun.

Traxxas does help make it easy for beginners. I would feel safer with someone with no knowledge using a Traxxas charger, compared to one with multiple settings.
    The Traxxas ID plug does its' job well. Plug in a LiPo battery into a Traxxas ID charger, charger knows it's a LiPo and charges as a LiPo. Where other chargers could be set to charge on a different setting.