RC Enthusiast

Vxl 4x4 brushless - 3s battery upgrade; do I really need to change gears now? Also ,

Hi all! Recently purchased a 3s battery for my 4x4 vxl brushless Rustler. BIG difference and loving it! Reading the manual though seems to indicate I should re-gear it now that I am on 3s battery... Is this really necessary? How many of you use a 3s batt with stock gearing? Problems/concerns?

Also, since upgrading to the 3s battery the model sometimes moves slowly forward when Iím not on the throttle at all... Is this normal after changing batteries and can someone please tell me how to fix this?

I thank u in advance for any help for a noob...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
    Hi all! Recently purchased a 3s battery for my 4x4 vxl brushless Rustler. BIG difference and loving it! Reading the manual though seems to indicate I should re-gear it now that I am on 3s battery... Is this really necessary? How many of you use a 3s batt with stock gearing? Problems/concerns?

Also, since upgrading to the 3s battery the model sometimes moves slowly forward when Iím not on the throttle at all... Is this normal after changing batteries and can someone please tell me how to fix this?

I thank u in advance for any help for a noob...
    I'm running my 4x4 VXL on a 3s battery with the stock gearing. I guess it really depends on your motor temperature if you need to regear it, which depends on how and where you drive it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    If you use 3s youíll definitely want to gear down because using a higher ďsĒ lipo will give you more power and speed but that also creates heat a lot faster. Gearing down will give you the power and speed you want to use with the added benefit of keeping your temps in check. I have the same car and I gear down when I use 3s due to thermal protection on my ESC. I always say ďBash Hard, Bash Smart, and youíll break less ****Ē. 14t pinion with 54t metal spur on the Center diff and remove the slipper clutch, you will be moving son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykid158 View Post
    If you use 3s youíll definitely want to gear down because using a higher ďsĒ lipo will give you more power and speed but that also creates heat a lot faster. Gearing down will give you the power and speed you want to use with the added benefit of keeping your temps in check. I have the same car and I gear down when I use 3s due to thermal protection on my ESC. I always say ďBash Hard, Bash Smart, and youíll break less ****Ē. 14t pinion with 54t metal spur on the Center diff and remove the slipper clutch, you will be moving son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you both! Kid, do I have to buy those gears or did they come with my truck? I know I saw at least one gear I still have it I just have to rip it open. I will re-gear as you have suggested.

Iíll have to look into the slipper clutch I have absolutely no idea what that thing is or how to remove it LOL. Any links or instructions?

Regarding The question about the model moving slowly forward even when Iím not applying throttle, do I just use the transmitter option for throttle trim to fix that? Itís odd because it never happened with the 2S but it is with the 3s. My kids are really enjoying this model but I canít have it moving forward on them. Theyíre reckless enough without the thing moving when no throttle is being applied LOL

RC Champion
    If you have the Bluetooth link you can adjust the setting in the app. As seen here.
    If you donít have the Bluetooth link disregard this, and use the trim knob, the one is marked as throttle, to stop the truck from moving without throttle input. If you find you canít figure out how to perform this, you can always revert to the manual. Most people donít look at it or give it any thought, but reading that manual Iíve learned quite a-bit about my vehicles. Good info in the manual that often gets overlooked. Just saying.

RC Enthusiast

Vxl 4x4 brushless - 3s battery upgrade; do I really need to change gears now? Also ,

Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    If you have the Bluetooth link you can adjust the setting in the app. As seen here.
    If you donít have the Bluetooth link disregard this, and use the trim knob, the one is marked as throttle, to stop the truck from moving without throttle input. If you find you canít figure out how to perform this, you can always revert to the manual. Most people donít look at it or give it any thought, but reading that manual Iíve learned quite a-bit about my vehicles. Good info in the manual that often gets overlooked. Just saying.
    Hey thanks 222. Yeah Iíve read the manual for this one and my Revo front to back. Itís just that it looks pretty confusing when you start using the menu and set buttons on the transmitter. Iím sure itís not that difficult Iíll follow the directions. Unfortunately I donít have the Bluetooth link.

regarding the link, a purchase you are glad you made or something if you had to do again you would pass on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Champion
    Donít personally have the link. Just the app on my phone. You can enter the app and get into some settings without having a Bluetooth link. I would highly recommend one though as they make things really simple. I go through the menu free as you are about to do. One you do it a few times you remember some of the settings and how to get to them. But I get the initial try can be a little intimidating. Just take your time and youíll get it Iím sure of it. As always, have fun and be safe!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Donít personally have the link. Just the app on my phone. You can enter the app and get into some settings without having a Bluetooth link. I would highly recommend one though as they make things really simple. I go through the menu free as you are about to do. One you do it a few times you remember some of the settings and how to get to them. But I get the initial try can be a little intimidating. Just take your time and youíll get it Iím sure of it. As always, have fun and be safe!!!
    Sure thing and thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykid158 View Post
    Gearing down will give you the power and speed you want
    Gearing down will give you more acceleration and less top speed that you want

RC poster
    It may not be a bad idea to run through the ESC calibration procedure. And make sure the neutral select switch is where you want it (50/50).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk