RC poster

Thoughts on this purchase... New to RC

Hey everyone I am new into RC cars/trucks. Live in upstate New York with some decent hay fields, woods, and back bars bashing areas. Looking to purchase a Stampede 4x4 as my first RC. Found a good looking deal on eBay for a used Stampede 4x4 VXL RTR. Only need a battery and charger to be up and running. Truck looks very good almost new aside from the normal scratches on the underside. Truck is listed for $222 with $20 shipping right now. Was going to bid a max of $275 if it gets that high.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=280
    Looking at this 2s battery to start off with and purchase the Traxxas 2970 EZ-Peak Plus Charger.

Thoughts, ideas, questions I would appreciate any and all help.

That should fit and work fine, but you may need the battery extender kit.

NOt sure what the deal is with your link, but I think this was the pack you were pointing at:
    https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=280

Personally, I would spend more and get a more capable charger. Getting one that can charge 2 packs at once would help you in the near future. Also, getting one that can charge the pack your wanting to run at 1C would be best. That 2S pack takes 6.5A to charge at 1C, so the traxxas charger won't do that and it will take longer to charge than necessary.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Qualifier
    Other than what Old_97 said about the charger, the Stampede 4x4 is a solid platform and a fun, easy to maintain basher omfor general driving.

I forgot to comment on the stampede... while it's a very capable truck, I've found it to be lacking when running in grass a lot. It's great for dirt and skate parks, but the low ground clearance and 3S power make it a bit lacking when you have the excess drag of grass.

To run it on 3S, you really have to fork over another $125 on steel cvd's as the stock sliders just don't hold up. Even on 2S, they don't last very long if your running grippy tires.

If I were to do it again, I'd likely try the new maxx or something different altogether. Now days, the only time I take out my stampede is when I know I'm going to hit a skate park. Or if I'm going to play around in the snow.

But if I'm running at my grass bmx track that I drive an hour to get to, I leave the stampede at home as it just doesn't do well there. If it was dirt, limestone or pea gravel, it would be great.

RC poster
    Soooo charger wise .... Traxxas 2990 EZ-Peak Dual Charger? Would have be good enough or go even higher to the live version with the Bluetooth?

I’m trying to keep the budget below $400 for my first RC. I was told that the Maxx is basically if the X-Maxx had a baby it’s that and it’s better all around than the Rustler or the Stampede.

With the price of the truck and then the charger that I listed and that battery I’d be at or around $375 which is the price for the VXL without a battery or charger brand new.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I forgot to comment on the stampede... while it's a very capable truck, I've found it to be lacking when running in grass a lot. It's great for dirt and skate parks, but the low ground clearance and 3S power make it a bit lacking when you have the excess drag of grass.
    But that something you gotta deal with any 1/10 monster truck running 2.8 inch wheel tires. To be fair the stampede 4x4 has better clearance especially main chassis belly than most cars its size. You really gotta go to 1/8 cars or maybe a dedicated mt like smt10 but then there are many other considerations to worry about.

RC poster

Personally, I would spend more and get a more capable charger. Getting one that can charge 2 packs at once would help you in the near future. Also, getting one that can charge the pack your wanting to run at 1C would be best. That 2S pack takes 6.5A to charge at 1C, so the traxxas charger won't do that and it will take longer to charge than necessary.
    I have no idea what your talking about in regards to the charger.... sorry any ideas or suggestions then as to a charger and or battery. I’ve heard bad things about getting the wrong charger and or battery and having them blow up. Not trying to burn my house down. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carr Ramrod View Post
    I have no idea what your talking about in regards to the charger.... sorry any ideas or suggestions then as to a charger and or battery. Iíve heard bad things about getting the wrong charger and or battery and having them blow up. Not trying to burn my house down. Lol
    You're going to want to do some research on lipo batteries in general then... As well as some lipo battery safety searches. There is a lot of information out there! Lipos are great, it just helps to know what your getting into first so you don't damage your equipment or the battery inadvertently. Search for things like 'lipo charge rate' and or 'lipo charge safety'.

Sticking with traxxas batteries and chargers keeps things about as simple as they can be, but after some research you may (or may not) find you'd like some more flexibility.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by czlynx View Post
    You're going to want to do some research on lipo batteries in general then... As well as some lipo battery safety searches. There is a lot of information out there! Lipos are great, it just helps to know what your getting into first so you don't damage your equipment or the battery inadvertently. Search for things like 'lipo charge rate' and or 'lipo charge safety'.

Sticking with traxxas batteries and chargers keeps things about as simple as they can be, but after some research you may (or may not) find you'd like some more flexibility.
    When I got “back” into RC a few years ago I started with the niMH battery that came with my rtr Brushed Slash. I was also intimidated by lipo batteries and what can go wrong.
    I agree with above, do a few simple google searches for lipo battery charging , lipo safety etc.
    like he said, traxxas chargers and batteries make jumping to lipo very user friendly.
    Once you are more familiar you might or might not like traxxas Chargers vs other options. I think I got my first lipo battery and charger ( used ) in 2017 and I am still using a traxxas charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Carr Ramrod View Post
    I have no idea what your talking about in regards to the charger.... sorry any ideas or suggestions then as to a charger and or battery. I’ve heard bad things about getting the wrong charger and or battery and having them blow up. Not trying to burn my house down. Lol
    I started running electric 3 years or so ago and the v1 brushless revo was my first. I got the truck, 9000mah 2S packs and the traxxas dual charger. Since the charger only put out 5A to 2 packs at the same time, I was having to unplug/reset the charger after waiting for over an hour, then another hour for the second cycle just to charge my packs. With the revo, you run 2 packs. So after 2 hours of charging, I had 30 minutes of run time on one set of packs.

That lasted about 2-3 weeks. Then I got a 4x100w/4x10A ac/dc charger and was able to charge up 4 packs at 10A each in less than an hour.

If I knew of a good 2x10A/2x100W charger, I'd post up, but the ones I'd suggest, I'm not 100% sure what they put out on AC. Many very capable chargers are DC only, so you have to buy a power supply to run them, which is an added expense.

I was only suggesting to get a dual port charger so you could charge up 2 packs at the same time as odds are, you will end up with multiple packs, so was trying to help you avoid spending money twice like I did.

From what I've read, the Hota D6 is a decent charger that should work well for you. Sells for around $130. There are quite a few dual port chargers out there.
    https://www.amazon.com/HOTA-Charger-.../dp/B0827S7NYV

Many also like the venom, but it doesn't put out as much power, 2x7A/2x80w:
    https://www.amazon.com/Venom-RC-Batt.../dp/B07KXFR15K

I have a few chargers now. 2 that I use at home, one that's wired in my car all the time and another DC only I keep in my car to charge up a 3rd pack, or my receiver pack, transmitter, glow heater when necessary.

Home:
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/prophet...arger-dync2050
    https://www.rcplanet.com/chargers/ch...rger-hrc44249/

car:
    https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Twin-Cha.../dp/B075F49BFD
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJ5HMKK

I couldn't recommend the HTRC as it's been very fickle. Currently, one of the ports +/- buttons don't work, but luckily, it's stuck on 12A/auto lipo detect, so it works still.

RC poster
    So battery and charger aside for now. What does anyone and everyone think of grabbing a used Stampede 4x4 VXL for around $275 shipped if I can win the bid with that? OR should I start off slow with a new Stampede 4x4 RTR package with the brushed motor and the NiMH battery and charger? Then just upgrade parts as they break and upgrade motor, ESC and other electronics as I see fit...??

Half of one, 6 of the other... if you get used, just make sure you look closely at it. I wasn't as wise with mine and what showed up was a menagerie of awful. Worn out bits, shoddy wheels/tires, stripped screws/threads, body destroyed, etc. I had to spend another $100 on it just to make it worth driving. I paid $300 shipped for it early 2017 as RTR with 2 lipo packs (which were also garbage). Hard to see a lot of that in photo's.

The issues with going for the low rung new stampede is not only are the electronics lower end, it also doesn't have an alloy center axle and the ring/pinion's in the diffs are different (geared lower) to work with the brushed motor. I'm guessing that can be compensated for with a pinion change if you go brushless, but something else to add to the list when the time comes to upgrade. There are probably other things as I didn't look too closely at the brushed version when I got mine.

RC Qualifier

To run it on 3S, you really have to fork over another $125 on steel cvd's as the stock sliders just don't hold up. Even on 2S, they don't last very long if your running grippy tires.

If I were to do it again, I'd likely try the new maxx or something different altogether. Now days, the only time I take out my stampede is when I know I'm going to hit a skate park. Or if I'm going to play around in the snow.

But if I'm running at my grass bmx track that I drive an hour to get to, I leave the stampede at home as it just doesn't do well there. If it was dirt, limestone or pea gravel, it would be great.
    Iíve ran my stampede on 3s for months now, and havenít had any issues with the plastic drive shafts. They seem to be holding up really well. I also donít have anything too potent for a motor in it, goolrc 3650 3500kv and hobbywing esc. But we all have different experiences, and Iíve also had great success with the heavy duty 6852a plastic drive shafts.

I have thought about metal driveshafts, what ones to give a try. Thinking about the Traxxas made ones. I tried teknos for the rustler 4x4 and had nothing but problems. Teknos customer service didnít want to help at all so I tossed it in the garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing mine predated the 6852a parts and ran the 6852x, which looking at photo's, have less meat around the yoke pins, which is where mine would pop apart after about 2 hours of run time... on 2S. After having 3 or 4 of them break inside a month, I went with the MIP x-duty's.

RC poster
    Well after closer and more thorough inspection of the pictures. I can see a handful of spots and screw heads that are starting to rust. Also the bottom and front end does have more “wear” than I originally thought and saw at first glance. I have found a roller kit brand new for $110 shipped. Just need to put my own electronics and battery into it. So I would be able to piece it together with when I would want in it for motor, ESC, Servo, etc. and upgrade the important parts as I see fit like axles and drive shaft.

RC poster
    So I was able to track down a kit without electronics. Instead of cheating out and getting stock electronics what would anyone and everyone recommend. Motor and ESC keeping in mind I will be upgrading parts as they break center drive shaft and such. Looking to run 2-3s LiPo batteries don’t care much for the brand in particular. Also RX/TX combo not doing racing just bashing and such.

RC poster
    Sorry didnít mean to post that twice.

You could go with a max8 and a 3670 <=3200kv motor, then would more likely avoid heat issues down the line, especially when running 3S. It won't be a "drop in", but you can get it to fit with a bit of grinding and getting creative with where the esc goes.

I'm running a hobbystar 3665 3200kv at the moment in mine with a max10 sct esc. Seems to be a decent combo, but it did overheat on me the last time I was out at the grass bmx track. It did fine at the skate park with minimal grass running. I'm going to try putting in either a blx185 or a MMv2 esc as I have one of each on hand. I may run it again after getting some new packs as I'm not 100% sure if it was my older/tired packs not having enough power or if the esc was overheating... or it was at least acting odd.

RC poster
    Thoughts on this set up please

HobbyStar 1/8 Combo, 120A ESC and 4068 Brushless 4-Pole Motor 2650kv, Includes Program Card $124.99
    OR
    Hobbywing EZRUN WP-SC8 120A brushless ESC $68.99
    HobbyStar 3660 4-pole brushless SENSORLESS 3300kv $34.99

And this as the servo with whatever motor/ESC setup I do

JX DC-5821LV High Torque Metal Gear Digital Waterproof RC Car Servo JX 1/8 Speed
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F333249753814

Going into Stampede 4x4 kit that I ordered. I know and understand that this going into a standard and not a VXL Stampede will need upgrades to help prevent breaking everything in the drivetrain and or suspension.
    Last edited by Carr Ramrod; 01-31-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Of the two, I'd lean towards the HW WP-SC8, it's waterproof, the HS isn't. Really though, if your going to go with that, may as well spend the extra $15 and get the max10 sct. More capable bec (4A vs 3A, can run 7.4V if you wanted later), higher peak current (830A vs 760A), newer model.

RC poster
    Ok good points. I’m willing to spend the extra $$. Your opinion on servo? And I’m trying to decide on a motor. I’ve seen 2 and 4 pole motors. Not sure the best route to take. I sorta understand the difference between the two but I’m not trying to make this thing to 80mph but don’t want to be breaking everything in the drivetrains axles, etc with too much torque. So something in the middle that will be fun on 2s and really move on 3s.

This will be my first build so idk if I’m getting ahead of myself with the bigger and better motors, ESC, servos. I’m seeing different size shafts for the motors, what pinion sizes, and making sure everything matches up when I assemble.

I’m willing to start slower and just go with the Traxxas motor and ESC that would have come with this truck off the shelf and run all that until I get more comfortable and then upgrade. I just don’t like buying the same thing twice when i could just buy the “bigger and better” stuff up front and upgrade the smaller things as I break them down the road.