RC Qualifier

Stampede Resto-Mod (tribute to Dad)

So on this thread Iíll be documenting my build on an old Black Chassis Stampede 2wd Resto-Mod. I donít wanna over simplify or sound like Iím talking down, but to anyone not familiar with the term, in the 1:1 car world a resto-Mod is a restoration of a vintage vehicle where you try to maintain the vintage character, but use some modern components to improve performance, safety, reliability etc.
    so with that explanation out of the way; the project .
    The backbone of this build is an old Stampede chassis. I came across it around 2011, after my Dad passed. I didnít get ďbackĒ into RC until after 2016, when my wife bought me a brushed Robby Gordon Dakar Slash at my LHS, so this stayed in storage a few more years. Now dad and I mostly stopped messing with RC together in the early 90s when I went off to University in Ď93. At the time I got this truck from cleaning out a bin of old RC stuff from Momís house I didnít know what it was. Dad and I never owned a truck like this when we raced together, so o could assume he picked it up as ďdealĒ ( dad loved trading , something I inherited) and was an unfinished project ( it was just a roller at the time ) I didnít start taking pics until after I started the build , so I donít have any photos of a the Bare chassis in pieces In a box. As of this post Iíve already started assembling it with as many original parts as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    So, Iím not exactly sure what I have here in terms of Era. I am not a vintage Traxxas expert. I think the OG Stampede came out in Ď94? Some Traxxas historian can help me out here.
    Well, the first visit vintage thing that had to go was old hub carriers. I would have just popped bearing in there but they were an off size. So I replaced them with donors off a used Slash roller I got for $40
    the Donor slash had RPM C Blocks, so those had to go on too.
    The shocks are Kyosho Golds. These are what my dad and I used to run on my old Optima Mid 4wd buggy back in the day. They are probably 3 decades old, do not leak a drop and all I did was change to oil to some fresh Losi 40wt.

RC Qualifier
    I should mention, before any re assembly started I had to tear down and clean/lube all the bearings from the Donor Slash ( the donor slash was originally run by a co worker when he was deployed to Qatar and sand was in everything )
    On the front end I used the aforementioned Kyosho shocks. Maintained the original vintage A Arms ,
    Steering linkages , and the fixed camber linkages from the stock vintage set up. Up next. Transmission and rear end
    I decided to retain the the original black case from the vintage chassis but refresh it with modern brushless-ready metal gears and slipper assembly ( plus ball bearings all
    Around, no more bushings )
    Out with the old Plastic trans and brass bushings the Outdrives on the half shafts were different on the old trans. They had 2 set screws that grip a flat spot instead of one that goes through the shaft like the modern trans. Those had to go. Also, like the front, the rear hub carriers are an off size, had to swap them to modern ones off the donor Slash.
    Originally I reassembled it with the adjustable camber links off the slash, but now that I have found all the proper hardware I may swap the fixed links back in.

RC Qualifier

Mounted the waterproof RX box and XL5 from the donor slash. I fashioned a mounting plate out of plexiglas. Lined mounting holes up with chassis and drilled holes in the plexi to match. Then I made holes to mount the ESC and RXbox in the plexi. It is super strong and sturdy.
    ( I found out it didnít f it the battery as pictured there, I had to cut and grind it a bunch to Mackís it fit )

Installed a 27mhz RX from an old Redcat. Nitro car with crystals from a traxxas ďFishing poleĒ TQ radio. Plugged a battery in and tested. Everything works and timmmed up.

Thatís a really nice way to honor your dadís memory. I have some of those old Kyosho shocks too- amazing. Iím really hoping they do a re-release on that optima mid.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What an awesome project. Glad you found and built with a specific goal in mind. Great way to honor your dad

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakratfink View Post

Mounted the waterproof RX box and XL5 from the donor slash. I fashioned a mounting plate out of plexiglas. Lined mounting holes up with chassis and drilled holes in the plexi to match. Then I made holes to mount the ESC and RXbox in the plexi. It is super strong and sturdy.
    ( I found out it didn’t f it the battery as pictured there, I had to cut and grind it a bunch to Mack’s it fit )

Installed a 27mhz RX from an old Redcat. Nitro car with crystals from a traxxas “Fishing pole” TQ radio. Plugged a battery in and tested. Everything works and timmmed up.

I’ll post some pics later of the electronics tray after trimming

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
    That’s a really nice way to honor your dad’s memory. I have some of those old Kyosho shocks too- amazing. I’m really hoping they do a re-release on that optima mid.

I really hope they they re release the Optima Mid as well. I also have 2 sets of Kyosho Platinum shocks, one which is installed on my other Resto Mod my old Yokomo YZ10 ( I’ll probably post a rebuild thread on that over on RC Talk forum )
    And thank you all for the kind words regarding being a nest fitting tribute to my father.

RC Qualifier
    an After shot of my modified electronics tray. 5800mah lipo fits nicely now.

Sitting on Talons for now. I may get a set of Bigfoot wheels off Jenny’s. I run those on my other Stampede and I love how they look and handle( they grip better than atoms despite being a less aggressive tread pattern )
    The front body mount doesn’t quite line up with a pre cut Pede body, so I will probably replace that.
    As far as body ideas I have several ideas.
    A clear traxxas factory body painted one of the following ways
    A) multi color hydro dipped ( probably with Ed Roth RatFink decals )
    B) yellow w/ red flames ( Kill Bill P**** Wagon )
    C metal flake purple with a blower intake in the hood ( this will probably be a shelf queen body idea since that is how my old Kyosho Hi Roller corvette was set up in the spirit of the tribute.
    Other body ideas include the Proline 1982 square body and make a Fall Guy replica.
    I’m also considering picking up one of those cheap pre painted Summitlink bodies off amazon as a spare basher body.

P.S. one more body idea . Get some green RPM or Skully bumpers and paint the body red with some Sriracha decals

Last edited by Dakratfink; 01-25-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Quick addendum to text

RC Qualifier

Painted up a body last night at work Tamiya metallic purple . I did a marble technique with silver, black and a lighter shade of purple.
    I canít decide if Iím going to use the ďStampedeĒ decals for the side or leave it more bare.

RC Champion
    Leave it bare man! Looks very nice as it sits! Keep up the great work!! Love the bowling bowl! Had an old low rider painted bowling bowl green. Nice to see itís still a cool way to paint!

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    Leave it bare man! Looks very nice as it sits! Keep up the great work!! Love the bowling bowl! Had an old low rider painted bowling bowl green. Nice to see it’s still a cool way to paint!

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro
    It might get a few small Rat Fink mini stickers but nothing to actually cover up the paint work too much.

RC Qualifier

So here is what I get for deciding to keep Vintage original rear camber links.
    I guess I have em excuse to start getting Green RPM parts now
    In the mean time I can install the Adjustable turnbuckles off the donor slash .