RC poster

Dog Bones and Cups

Cheaper RC stuff often comes with dog bone axles that go into cups with slots. On those that I have, the cup is attached to a gear that's internal to the diff and it is rigid. My new to me Slash 4X4 has the dog bones and cups, but the cups are flopping in the breeze, not rigid. In addition to that, if I hold one wheel and rotate the other, there has to be a good 1/2 rotation of slop before the wheel being held wants to start moving.
    1. Who makes this set up in case I need parts?
    2. Should those cups be rigid or flopping around like mine are? On cheaper vehicles, the cup has a tab at the end that goes into a slot in the internal gear and gets fastened by a screw. I haven't torn my Slash apart to look yet.
    3. What about the rotational slop I see?
    Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got pictures?

RC poster
    I'll try to get some later. I found a video, done by an English guy - on here, for installing Tekno M6 CVD's ( TKR6851x / TKR6852x ). They look like what I have. After installing the cups to the gearbox output shafts, they are solid. The stock screws used to hold the stock plastic sliding axles are used to secure the cups. Why they are flopping around instead of being solid will only show itself after I tear it apart, I guess. Looking at the chassis, the 2 bodies and the parts in a box, this truck has been raced as it was intended to do and it's got a lot of wear. As an example, the receiver didn't have any antennae showing. When I opened up the receiver box, the receiver and wires were in a finger of a nytrile glove and wrapped with umpteen wraps of electrical tape! There was a glob of caulk keeping it from rattling around. The antennae wire was coiled up and stuffed into the receiver box too.
    This is the ad I swapped a pristine RedCat Gen 7 Pro for:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...xxas-Slash-4x4

If I end up replacing the axles, what would be suggested for something tough, but not necessarily race quality? I saw the MIP axles talked about in other posts, so, I looked them up. Looking for just about anything on the 'Net zeroes in on Amazon. The rear set is on there for $64.09, the front is $55.84 (= $119.93 ) but the combined is $ 136.99!!! I guess they get an extra $17 because they can. Is this a good set for light bashing?
    This is the video I found:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fq0Nx9mAYA
    Last edited by kodak_jack; 01-25-2020 at 07:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I would check all bearings and diff case first. If those driveshafts are Tekno, you donít need to upgrade them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks. I'll have to get into it and see what's what. Watching the video for the swap, it looks like the parts I have.

RC poster
    It would appear that what I have is the Tekno CVD's. I took the front end apart to clean and inspect. I guess I don't need new parts since the slop back at the gearbox is about what I might expect - not bad. I cleaned and lubed as necessary and put it back together. On each side I put shims between the bearing and pin to take up some slop. I'll do the same in the rear on another day.

It would appear that I don't understand how to posts pics on here. I used the Insert Image button, put in the URL to Imgur and it shows the link before I save, but doesn't show the pic or the link.
    Let me just put the link here:
    https://imgur.com/a/DK6uvkg
    Last edited by kodak_jack; 01-25-2020 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Want to post pics

RC Champion
    It looks like the end that slides into the outdrive cups is missing the pin or part that keeps it in place inside the outdrive cup as pictured here on the right end of them.

RC poster
    It's there, it's out of focus in the picture. Thanks.