RC Enthusiast

Traxxas Slash VXL fan mounting question

I'm really curious about something. I have watched tons of Youtube videos on how exactly people mount their fans on their VXL motors (or motors in general) and not ONE person used Thermal paste?? I'm an advanced PC builder and know about cooling. (especially with aluminum heats sinks) That's all us PC building and Overclocking gurus think about. COOLING! Every video i watched, they just snapped it on the motor and away they went. For one, I know when you just snap the fan mount on, it stretches a tiny bit leaving even more space between the motor and the fan mount. Let alone, there's gaps to begin with, without even snapping the mount on the motor. I thought for sure, some of these R/C racing gurus would surely know about direct contact and cooling. (unless I'm missing something?) So my question is, does anyone else use thermal paste while mounting their fans on their motors? This really baffles me that I haven't seen one person get a proper, direct contact between the motor and fan mount using thermal paste. Or at least a thin thermal pad. And I hope i don't sound condescending. I don't mean to. I'm just really shocked that I haven't seen anything on this.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by Corsair; 01-24-2020 at 10:51 PM.
    M-ove
    O-ver
    P-ower
    A-pproaching
    R-apidly

RC Qualifier
    Thermal paste can only help with cooling, more important is to find your sweet spot with gearing. Temp gun is very useful tool for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    You are dead right. There is a gap between the motor and clip on heat sink.
    Air is a great insulator and the less direct contact means less heat transfer.
    The evidence of the gap is the dirt around the motor, which is probably an insulator too.
    I’m interested in the thermal paste. I’m sure it would help the efficiency of the heat sink.
    It’s definitely worth mentioning here.
    Still no where near the effect of proper gearing and keeping rotating mass low.
    Gearing is key. Having said that I have fried a motor or 2.
    I run a heat sink on my 1/8 stampede as it weighs quite a bit and I run it hard.
    I don’t rely on it. I also take temp measurements at the bearing, not on the heat sink.
    I run the lowest gears and lightest tires I can get away with.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    You are dead right. There is a gap between the motor and clip on heat sink.
    Air is a great insulator and the less direct contact means less heat transfer.
    The evidence of the gap is the dirt around the motor, which is probably an insulator too.
    I’m interested in the thermal paste. I’m sure it would help the efficiency of the heat sink.
    It’s definitely worth mentioning here.
    Still no where near the effect of proper gearing and keeping rotating mass low.
    Gearing is key. Having said that I have fried a motor or 2.
    I run a heat sink on my 1/8 stampede as it weighs quite a bit and I run it hard.
    I don’t rely on it. I also take temp measurements at the bearing, not on the heat sink.
    I run the lowest gears and lightest tires I can get away with.
    Thank you Fortunespoonz for clarifying I'm not nuts for wondering about this. lol Regardless, I did use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. This is the thermal paste us PC guru's use. It's the best you can get besides liquid metal, which I wouldn't suggest in this situation as for you NEVER use liquid metal on aluminum. (only copper heatsinks)
    M-ove
    O-ver
    P-ower
    A-pproaching
    R-apidly

RC Enthusiast
    Also, great to know about the gearing. Thanks for the heads up Fortunespoonz. Great advice!
    M-ove
    O-ver
    P-ower
    A-pproaching
    R-apidly