RC Competitor

Center Driveshaft - Is this damaged?

Everything has been fine with my slash but after I changed my pinion to a 17T the slipper clutch was slipping like crazy. I pulled the clear plastic cover to adjust it and saw this at the rear of the shaft. It looks like it got hot and spun or twisted the plastic, or am I missing something? I also noticed that the shaft has a 'wobble' to it as well.

https://ibb.co/kBXnWCg

I am also not a fan of the rust on all the hardware. I have only run it is wet conditions a couple of times and did my best to blow it out with compressed air.

No photo. Can't tell.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

If the shaft is twisted as much as you think that is very pliable plastic. It would have snapped long before that would have happened. That looks like rocks got in there and partied with the center shaft. Replace it with one from the VXL or a Tekno. And clean that rust off too please.
    The Super Derecho

I second the Tekno Big Bone suggestion.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Please get an aluminum driveshaft from a VXL Slash 4x4. That seems to be a lot of rust. Mine didn't get any after being jumped in a pond and ran in snow.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    Same here. Get the aluminum shaft and man please take care of the rust. It will come back to bite you in the rear if you donít.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for your advise, I ordered the aluminum one. I will do a full breakdown of the slash and remove the rust as well when I replace the shaft. I had no idea the rust was that bad until I pulled the cover!

A lot of the allen head bolts have rust on them but I saw a lot of people mentioned that is 'normal' and people replace them with stainless. I assumed what I had was normal wear but after seeing under that cover, and your reactions, that is not the case!

I've run my Rusty 4x on wet grass, and through mud, and after doing so, I completely cleaned the vehicle. Anytime you run through a "wet" environment...and, just for "general maintenance" at least once a year...if you follow these simple steps, you'll keep your Sl4sh running a good, long time:

Remove the wheels, and clean them, and the tires. Then remove the shocks (clean them) from the bulkheads, remove the bulkheads from the chassis, and remove the slipper & center driveshaft from the chassis. Clean the bulkheads, clean the chassis, and make sure everything is dry before reassembling. Before reassembling, check all screws for tightness, and check diffs & shocks for any leakage.