RC poster

Got a new Slash 4x4 with TQ Radio - Can I upgrade to TQi ?

Hi all,

I have been a drone and Heli enthusiast all these years; recently got into RC cars - Got my first Traxxas Slash 4x4 (one with green rims).

I noticed that Traxxas has a better tx / rx technology called TQi. My car came with a TQ Type simple Radio. I wanted to know if I can upgrade to a TQi System.

If I can upgrade; what all is required to be upgraded ? Radio, receiver and ESC or If I can just buy a TQi Radio and a receiver ? Is there a tutorial for this type of upgrade in the forums or on youtube ?

I'd really appreciate inputs from the community.....

Yes you can upgrade. All you would need is a transmitter and compatible receiver. If you don't plan on using the telemetry, or TSM there is no need to upgrade.

RC poster
    Thanks grizzly03 ! I want to upgrade to the entire thing - TQi Transmitter, receiver, TSM everything....! Can you please help me with which ones to buy ? Also, will I need to upgrade the ESC as well or the stock ESC will work ?

RC Champion
    This will work for you but you still need to buy the Blue tooth module to go in the tx that connects to the app.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stampede-E-r...item5b23f8c08f

Quote Originally Posted by chokxxi90210 View Post
    ...will I need to upgrade the ESC as well or the stock ESC will work ?
    Stock ESC will work. To get the Telemetry functions you would need to buy additional parts. The TSM is built into the receiver.
    Here's a page(list) of Telemetry items for a slash products/slash-4x4-telemetry

In my experience the TQi with Bluetooth transmitter has a longer range than the Tq transmitter.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster

Lightbulb

Hi All,

I have successfully updated my Slash tx & rx with TQi !! I got the following parts -

6509r - TX
    6533 - RX
    6511 - Wireless module

Cost:
    - $47 for tx + rx from ebay (shipping included)
    - $34 for wireless module from Amazon (free shipping)

Challenges:
    - Had difficulty pulling out the stuck rx from the car. Came off using a thin screw driver
    - The tx came pre-set with x-maxx settings - tried to reset the tx manually with Menu & Set buttons which was a little tricky - traxxas tutorial available on youtube.
    - After installing the rx and plugging in the steering servo and ESC - the ESC (XL5) stopped responding - (alternate green - red light) and no response from throttle on tx - Steering servo was working fine though.
    - Another reset done on tx.
    - disconnected and reconnected the battery.
    - Got the wireless module in mail - Connected wireless module to tx.
    - On the phone app - removed all previous model presets.
    - added slash 4x4 settings from the app.
    - Rx light turned green - ESC light solid red - - Bingo !!!
    - Turned on low voltage detection - ESC light solid green !!
    - Everything connected and working as desired !!

Next projects:
    1. adding RPM and temperature sensors to rx.
    2. I think my slash needs Toe alignment - one front wheel seems to be off alignment.
    3. Will remove the plastic camber connects (stock) and replace with aluminum Camber connects for both front and rear wheels....! I mean camber arms
    -