RC Enthusiast

Velineon 3500 motor problem

I bought a used 4 pole 3500 that needed bearings to put in my rustler. I installed brand new bearings today and it still spins really slowly at full throttle and gets extremely hot within seconds. My ESC is brand new Iíve been careful to immediately disconnect the battery and motor from it because the motor wires get hot too. Is there anything I can do to fix this motor or is it complete junk?

RC Champion
    The magenta may be glazed in the motor from excessive heat caused by a bad bearing or running 3s WOT without monitoring temps. Either way the motor may need to be rebuilt on the inside. New rotor and inner casing. Probably costs more to repair it at the moment then to find a cheap alternative. Leopard, castle creations, a new stock 3500 velenion, Iím sure there are a bunch of other companies that have a very similar motor in both KV, and size. Shouldnít be hard to find one. At any rate, take the motor apart and see if you see any discoloration on the rotor magnets.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    The magenta may be glazed in the motor from excessive heat caused by a bad bearing or running 3s WOT without monitoring temps. Either way the motor may need to be rebuilt on the inside. New rotor and inner casing. Probably costs more to repair it at the moment then to find a cheap alternative. Leopard, castle creations, a new stock 3500 velenion, I’m sure there are a bunch of other companies that have a very similar motor in both KV, and size. Shouldn’t be hard to find one. At any rate, take the motor apart and see if you see any discoloration on the rotor magnets.
    Do you have any direct replacement motors you recommend? This is my second fried Velineon I’m sick of the problems I’m having with them. They’re too expensive to be so failure prone and they get really hot easily.

Here is the rotor assembly

If you want to replace the Velineon motor, but continue to use the Velineon ESC, just keep in mind that you will need a set of wire adapters. Almost all motors that are of similar size to the Velineon motor use 4mm bullet connectors. For whatever reason, the Velineon system uses 3.5mm bullets instead.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331272678317

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the heads up, I’m sure it’s their attempt at keeping things proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Do you have any direct replacement motors you recommend? This is my second fried Velineon Iím sick of the problems Iím having with them. Theyíre too expensive to be so failure prone and they get really hot easily.

Here is the rotor assembly

I have a 3650 3500kv Goolrc motor and itís been absolutely great. Plenty of torque and speed, stays relatively cool in my stampede with badlands mx28s on all 4 corners. I got a combo for 38 dollars on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    I have a 3650 3500kv Goolrc motor and it’s been absolutely great. Plenty of torque and speed, stays relatively cool in my stampede with badlands mx28s on all 4 corners. I got a combo for 38 dollars on eBay.

That’s good to hear. I saw that same motor online and figured I’d give it a shot just because it’s so cheap and is at least similar in color to a Velineon (I like my stuff to look close to stock). I was going to go with a lower kv though for the torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Thatís good to hear. I saw that same motor online and figured Iíd give it a shot just because itís so cheap and is at least similar in color to a Velineon (I like my stuff to look close to stock). I was going to go with a lower kv though for the torque.
    The motors from Goolrc seem to be pretty well made, but Iíve seen people have A LOT of problems with their escs though. My stampede 4x4 has been great, no issues at all and Iíve been running it hard. Need to grab some more aluminum shock caps though, finally popped off the plastic cap on the left rear shock catching around 10-12 feet of air lol

Let us know how that Goolrc motor works out for you.