Newbie in need of advice

So obviously I'm in the market of a traxxas vehicle (because why not).
    I'm new to all of this, but I'm mechanically sound when it comes to real vehicles. Only reason I say that is because durability is a key feature I desire. I will most likely be using it at my Lakehouse which consists of mainly grass, some sand a rarely the road, so mainly off-road. I would also like decent speed. As stated, I've never owned anything like this so they'll all seem decently fast, but I would like 30 mph+. Not exactly sure if I'll need 4WD considering I don't have many opportunities of becoming stuck anywhere, and we don't have drastic hills (maybe a few steep ones I would jump). So I am asking for experienced advice on the best suited RC for me.
    ;)

I highly recommend the 2WD Ruslter VXL. Itís very easy to work on/modify, tons of fun...

I also recommend a nice set of MIP hex drivers. Those you only buy once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by albrechtmyers View Post
    So obviously I'm in the market of a traxxas vehicle (because why not).
    I'm new to all of this, but I'm mechanically sound when it comes to real vehicles. Only reason I say that is because durability is a key feature I desire. I will most likely be using it at my Lakehouse which consists of mainly grass, some sand a rarely the road, so mainly off-road. I would also like decent speed. As stated, I've never owned anything like this so they'll all seem decently fast, but I would like 30 mph+. Not exactly sure if I'll need 4WD considering I don't have many opportunities of becoming stuck anywhere, and we don't have drastic hills (maybe a few steep ones I would jump). So I am asking for experienced advice on the best suited RC for me.
    Bandit VXL, rustler VXL, slash 2wd, stampede VXL for 2wd are what Iíd recommend, and for 4x4, rustler 4x4 VXL, slash 4x4 VXL or stampede 4x4 VXL. The slash is very popular so would be my pick out of the lot.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 2wd Slash, 4wd Slash and 4wd Stampede and wish I would have started with the 4wd Slash. You may not think you'll need the 4wd but, in my opinion, they are more fun. They don't lose traction like the 2wd will on spin or in the grass/dirt and can go places the 2wd can't. The Stampede is fun but more for taller grass or for climbing. They like to wheelie a lot.
    I'd gladly take back the $$$ on spent on the Stampede and 2wd Slash if it were possible.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC poster
    I have a Slash 4X4 and a Rustler 2WD. Both are VXL. For just buzzing around in the lawn the Rustler is more fun because it is a bit faster. I have a couple of dirt piles out back and the Slash 4X4 is more fun out there because I am hill climbing and jumping. I do find running around on the lawn to get a bit boring after a bit and go looking for more rough terrain to get a bit of a challenge. Of the cars I have, if I could only have 1 car it would be the Slash 4X4. If I were to be buying just for bashing around the house I would look pretty hard at the Rustler 4X4.

Slash 4x4 Ultimate is my go to vehicle! Every time I buy something else it doesn't hang around long. Just not as fun
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate is my go to vehicle! Every time I buy something else it doesn't hang around long. Just not as fun
    I need to decide if Iím going to convert my stampede or just find a decent roller. Iíll have to grab a motor/esc and a body for if I get a roller.

RC Enthusiast
    A 2wd Rustler would be very affordable and reliable and will do fine on flat grass but IMO a 4x4 is more fun because you can decide when you want to wheelie and you donít spin out as easily. My experience with a 2wd VXL was frustrating at times when the front end wouldnít stay down. A 4x4 Slash would be very durable, stable and fun and thatís what I would get. I also own a 4x4 Rustler and Stampede but they arenít as well-rounded as a Slash imo.
    Xmaxx 8S, Arrma Infraction, Nitro Rustler

RC poster
    how much coin do you have to spend?

I have a 4x4 slash vxl. I just upgraded the chassis to the LCG low-center of gravity one and it is way better now. if you have he money the ultimate 4x4 is the one you want. its already upgraded out of the box and has all the bells and whistles.

if you're just going to drop a couple hundred to check it out, I'd get a bandit or rustler...

RC Competitor

Newbie in need of advice

Slash 4X4 VXL for sure. I have a 2WD Rustler VXL, Slash 4x4 Platinum, and E-Revo 2.0 (4x4) and for the driving youíre describing, the slash would be tough to beat.

The rustler is fun and fast, but if youíre on loose gravel it will be tougher to control with speed. Ex: I was at a BMX park hitting wooden kicker ramps and it was tough to build speed with the Rustler - all the jumps are linked together in a rhythm section - and I had a hard time getting the right speed and direction off the ramp. The rustler would skid up the ramp trying to get traction while the slash seemed to just grab and go. The E-Revo is big and heavier and requires 2 batteries, and I only have 1 charger, so itís more downtime. Plus, it seems to break more frequently than the others.

I started with the slash and picked up the other two as my son gained interest and I wanted to explore more powerful systems, but in the end believe that hands down the Slash 4x4 is the sweet spot.

RC Enthusiast
    "Decent speed". Checked
    "Durability". Checked
    I will vote (not biaised) for a Slash Ultimate. No parts to upgrade, higher-quality parts, "ready to race"
    The question, as stated above, is: how much you want to shell out.

Owning a Slash Ultimate for 5 months. Nothing to replace yet.
    Running with 2S LiPo mainly and 3S for fun

RC Competitor
    Slash 4x4 is my vote.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Watt_The_Wheels View Post
    "Decent speed". Checked
    "Durability". Checked
    I will vote (not biaised) for a Slash Ultimate. No parts to upgrade, higher-quality parts, "ready to race"
    The question, as stated above, is: how much you want to shell out.

Owning a Slash Ultimate for 5 months. Nothing to replace yet.
    Running with 2S LiPo mainly and 3S for fun
    When you jump to 3S or moreyou will find that there are of parts to upgrade
    But thatís fun too.
    Imho I would always buy platinum instead ultimate edition but thatís my opinion.

RC Qualifier
    I agree Platinum is better because of LCG, AL parts, GTR shocks and cost less in the end for sure.

Slash Ultimate 4x4, MMX-2200kv/Slash 4x4, MMX-2650