Thread: Maxx upgrades

RC poster

Maxx upgrades

The Maxx is my first RC vehicle, but I come from a cycling background, and Iím predisposed to upgrades in glorious shades of anodized aluminum (and even titanium!).

While I absolutely despise plastic and carbon fiber on bicycles, I understand its role with RC vehicles to limit damage by providing flex and to serve as a sacrificial component for more expensive parts. With that said, what upgrades, aluminum and beyond, would you guys recommend for the Maxx?

A knowledgeable coworker suggested to stick with Traxxas brand parts as much as possible and to avoid brands like GPM. My local hobby shop said only upgrade once something breaks.

So far Iíve added the Wide Maxx kit which made a drastic improvement in handling. I upgraded to the aluminum shock caps because I was already changing the shock oil and I loved the idea of blue caps and retainers with the orange shock. Other add ons were lights, cell phone mount for the controller, an electronics cover and bearings for the wheelie bar.

Is there anything you guys would recommend adding preemptively or just wait until something breaks? Are there any parts I should stock because they will definitely fail? What about aftermarket brands to favor or stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

RC Enthusiast
    Um, not sure what you meant by carbon fiber providing flex and being a sacrificial component for the more expensive components. As a cyclist, you know that carbon fiber is like the least flexible thing out there, is famously brittle, and very expensive. Pretty much the exact opposite of aluminum.

For me, I’ve been though many plastic driveshafts, and ultimately sucked it up and bought the traxxas metal kit, which is working much better. Had like four different breaks on the plastic drive shafts over time, Complete disaster. Been through a few C-hub steering brackets, and upgraded to aluminum there after breaking the same side twice.
    Broke two front bulkheads (the bottom facing part of the front differential cover). On third one now. Broke front skid plate.

BTW, I do all my “work” in a grassy field. Occasionally, I accidentally bash into a concrete drainage thing or lamp post. No massive jumps or anything dramatic. Although I do like to go full throttle and then slam on the brakes and do end over end flips. All this breaking is just bashing into something on the ground.

I got the factory light kit, which is very cool. But the wire leads are teeny tiny and fragile. After some bashing, a few of them broke. So I completely dissembled the front light section and soldered much heavier gauge wires in and spliced them like 3 inches down towards the power supply. My soldering kit was barely up to the task, may need to upgrade my tooling there

I also got the phone mount, but found it not very useful in the end. My phone is relatively larger/heavier, so the whole thing is really unbalanced feeling in the hand with the phone on there, and there’s really no telemetry that I’m that motivated to see in real time. If I had done some heavy powertrain mods, then the temps and voltages etc might be more of a factor. But running basically stock (just lower gearing for larger tires), there’s really not much to need to know.

I would just wait and see what breaks for you, and then when you replace it, buy like two or three of them, because it will break again. I haven’t had anything break only once, except for the front skid plate, and even there the second one is looking very beat, although not broken yet,.
    Last edited by dimsdale; 01-28-2020 at 09:18 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah ... carbon fiber was included in error as I meant to make another point but decided to delete ... most of it.

I also bought a stainless bolt kit as I was surprised how quickly OEM hardware started to rust. I only replace when I’m fixing/upgrading another part, and I already have the hardware out.

I heard driveshafts and C-hubs are the weakest link so I’ll probably upgrade there next. I’m surprised about the bulk head and skid plate. I ordered a stainless skid plate kit from eBay, but I’m skeptical as it’s straight from China.

RC Enthusiast
    While I tend to avoid carbon fiber on my mountain bike frames, my gravel bike and road bike are both carbon so I like it for those applications. Conversely, I only run carbon handlebars on my mountain bikes and aluminum on my road bikes. Go figure... This all works out well for me.

However, things didn't work out too well for me when I was running the plastic driveshafts on my Maxx. I would break rear shafts on average every other run. Granted it's cold and muddy this time of the year in Colorado so I can't say the conditions were favorable for the ol' plastic. 3 or 4 weeks ago I upgraded to the metal shafts and it's been solid since then. My bash spot is a freeride mountain bike jump spot with some wide-open, loose dirt spots. I keep the Maxx off the medium and bigger jumps as those are best suited for my X-Maxx. I should add that I only run my Maxx on 3S as it goes real well with that kind of power and allows me to run back-to-back batteries without concerns for heat. After my first pack today my ESC was 86 degrees and my motor was 92 degrees. I immediately ran another battery pack and had 102 on the ESC and 120 on the motor.

youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos