RC poster

new traxxas slash 4x4 VXL upgrades - 3s upgrades- urgent i need to order them :D

hello

i got my slash 4x4 vxl 3 month ago and i am very happy with it. i am running it on 2s lipo and thinking of having the 3s.
    what are the upgrades needed for durability and handling the 3s lipo. i already changed the shock cap to traxxas aluminium and added the sway bars and the esc traxxas fan.

which tires is recommended for street use.

is it necessary to change to rpm shock towers front and rear?

thank you

RC Competitor
    I haven't been at this long, only a couple months, so if anyone has conflicting data please go ahead and offer correction. That said, I have a young (not quite 6 years old) son who crashes more often than I'd like and almost all my purchases were used, so I am learning quickly what goes bad.

So, here goes.

I don't replace parts unless I break them. When those parts break, they get replaced with RPM or Aluminum depending on what it is. On my 2wd Stampede (I know, different than yours), it has aluminum shock caps, caster blocks and rear bearing carriers. Also a set of RPM A arms up front, because the originals were destroyed in a crash. It seems to be fairly bombproof now, son and other neighborhood kids at the park haven't been able to break it since. Well, except for the input shaft at the slipper... the pin sheared off and there isn't really an upgrade to prevent against that. Oh well. Adding more aluminum than what already exists in that Stampede strikes me as a source of further headache and not a fix, since aluminum bends where plastic bounces back if it doesn't snap.

Now, to the real meat and potatoes of my reply, being as I have a 4x4 VXL Slash and a 4x4 VXL Stampede. Drive shafts will fail, especially at the rear wheels. Most all of my RCs were pre owned, this particular Slash came with Tekno driveshafts in the rear. The Stampede did not have that upgrade and I've had to replace the output yokes a few times already. I'll eventually go Tekno in the rear there as well. The fronts seem to hold up, but if I start going through those too, Tekno will again be the answer.

I also hear the Tekno center driveshafts are awesome, but $10 to replace the factory tube every now and then doesn't seem too bad, and I haven't broken one yet.

Oh, and of the 3 4x4 Traxxas 1/10 vehicles I have (also have a brushed Stampede 4x4), only one of them hasn't lunched the bearing at the slipper. It seems to be the most failure prone bearing in these trucks. The stock slipper shaft bearing adapter is plastic, so when that bearing starts to go it will melt the adapter. I'd preemptively replace your adapter with part number TRA6893X. It comes with an extra bearing. Since your truck is relatively new it's likely you won't have to use it right away, but when you do you'll have it. The bearing is also the right size for the inner bearing at the axles up front, so a useful spare in more than one area.

So, to tie this up into a bow, if you were to go with aluminum for the caster blocks, bearing carriers, slipper bearing adapter and shock caps, and then install some Tekno driveshafts, I think the truck would be in a great place for hassle free use, until the normal maintenance issues start to pop up. If you haven't rebuilt your diffs yet, I got the multi pack of Traxxas fluid (10k, 30k and 50k) and have been enjoying my vehicles with 30k in the rear and 50k in the front. I'd use 10k in a center diff if I chose to go that route, but all that is personal preference.

Speaking of personal preference, it doesn't get more personal than tire selection. Start with a slick or mostly slick and go from there. Any of them will be better than dirt tires on the street. I'm holding off on tire upgrades for my 4x4 Slash until I go ahead and install a LCG chassis in mine, at which time it will be a mostly street only RC for me.
    Last edited by BlueTrane2028; 01-29-2020 at 09:57 AM.

My favorite on-road tires are Duratrax Bandito tires. I have had them up to good speeds and they have excellent performance.
    You may want to have after market CV axles because on 3s they will break.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    The best mod I did to my 4x4 vxl was get the LCG chassis kit.
    The low center of gravity chassis made a huge difference

RC Competitor
    Great advice in this thread. Also, i have had great success with the extreme heavy duty drive shafts from Traxxas (TRA6851A for the Fronts) as the stock ones failed often and I wasn’t sure if it was worth it to go the steel CVD route. It was a good middle option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk