Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 46
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    14

    Need help with motor sizes

    I might have possibly found a really good deal on an XO-1 motor. Does anyone know if it will fit on my old Emaxx?

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    From what I remember you have to modify your truck for it to fit.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    From what I remember you have to modify your truck for it to fit.
    Do you remember what kind of mods?

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    If you were twisting my arm, and I wanted the pain to stop; it seemed like it was the motor mount. The mounting holes were good, but there wasn't enough space (for a bigger motor) between the motor and the transmission for a XO-1 motor. To get the spacing needed, guys were making new motor mounting plates. Also, guys making new motor mounting plates, were making them out of thicker aluminum than stock, because stock motor mounting plates (made with the same metal thickness as stock) would bend with the bigger XO-1 motor installed.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    If you were twisting my arm, and I wanted the pain to stop; it seemed like it was the motor mount. The mounting holes were good, but there wasn't enough space (for a bigger motor) between the motor and the transmission for a XO-1 motor. To get the spacing needed, guys were making new motor mounting plates. Also, guys making new motor mounting plates, were making them out of thicker aluminum than stock, because stock motor mounting plates (made with the same metal thickness as stock) would bend with the bigger XO-1 motor installed.
    Ok. Thanks!

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    There is also some using SAGA Custom RC motor mounts for those that would rather buy a mount.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Enderninja View Post
    I might have possibly found a really good deal on an XO-1 motor.
    Here's the deal with your deal. In my professional amateur opinion...just because you can, don't mean you should. The Emaxx is probably the most over the top "power to weight" RC vehicle that has ever been produced. So much so, that if/when a person wants to run it on 6s there are several things that need to be done before he can benefit from its' full potential. Even at that, a Emaxx on 6s has more power than what a person could ever use constructively. That's what makes the Emaxx such a great truck! It's like a John Deer lawn tractor with a Chevy 427 big block.

    Being that the Emaxx already has crazy over the top power, I have to ask myself "Why on earth would anyone want to put a bigger motor on it?" It would be taking our John Deer lawn tractor, and replacing our Chevy 427 big block with a Chevy 454 SS. I guess you can do it, but what's the point. How much unusable crazy power does a guy really need?
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-09-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Here's the deal with your deal. In my professional amateur opinion...just because you can, don't mean you should. The Emaxx is probably the most over the top "power to weight" RC vehicle that has ever been produced. So much so, that if/when a person wants to run it on 6s there are several things that need to be done before he can benefit from its' full potential. Even at that, a Emaxx on 6s has more power than what a person could ever use constructively. That's what makes the Emaxx such a great truck! It's like a John Deer lawn tractor with a Chevy 427 big block.

    Being that the Emaxx already has crazy over the top power, I have to ask myself "Why on earth would anyone want to put a bigger motor on it?" It would be taking our John Deer lawn tractor, and replacing our Chevy 427 big block with a Chevy 454 SS. I guess you can do it, but what's the point. How much unusable crazy power does a guy really need?

    All very valid points ReglarGuy!

    I found that if I'm running the Huntsman Spider metal wheels with the MudSlinger 40 Series tires, the XO-1 motor might actually appeal to me also considering I just increased my E-Maxx's weight by eight more pounds. And no, I'm not trying to transform it into a crawler, the MudSlingers are the only tire I found lately that don't split at the sidewalls and I found plastic rims that can handle the Mudslingers, so I dropped four pounds on the overall weight. It's a shame that crawler tires are the only tires outside of Proline's belted tires that don't split at the sidewalls.

    You are definitely right though about the E-Maxx Brushless having the best power to weight ratio out of the box compared to any other model ever produced. The other models are either improperly weight balanced or overpowered/under-powered for their weight and make them somewhat un-drivable in the sense as far as throttle control is concerned.

    Traxxas vehicles are getting to the point where when you buy the model, it is just the beginning of a long list of expenditures and I'm not talking necessarily about just upgrades or repairs, I'm talking it is like they are selling an incomplete vehicle anymore and the customer is left hanging in trying to figure out why their model doesn't run like the ones in the Traxxas videos.

    I think Traxxas' best bet would be to take a step back and ask themselves what is the true meaning of a ready to run vehicle when a majority of people are complaining of having to reach into their pocket 1 day after buying a brand new vehicle.

    I understand the difference between beating the snot out of these things and respecting the throttle; but when someone is nothing but easy on how they drive it and reporting things like tires blowing out or ESC's just plain not working after one day of use, there is a serious problem that needs addressed there in respect to the RTR (Ready to Run) perspective.

    After someone drops a grand on a RC vehicle, they should not be reaching into their pocket a day later (especially if they did no jumping or hard bashing) because the vehicle is having a handling issue or catastrophic electronic failure.

    No company is perfect, but this new "College Type" of business model is killing businesses that want to see how much of a product they can punch out versus quality control. In the long run, that costs the company more money than what they would make if they just stuck to the quality principle that would keep customers coming back regardless of price.

    If the quality is there, people keep buying the product.........period. If you kept buying the same part from Traxxas and it kept failing in the same exact way, how long until someone says "I've had it" and moves onto another provider of the part?

    Not very long, and Traxxas realized this to some extent but aren't knocking the idea out of the park because of this "College Type" business model in which a company only sees profits in the amount they sell, not the quality. It is reaching a tipping point and more and more people are gonna start catching on to the lack luster quality when they realize they are spending more to keep their RC's running versus their real daily driver vehicle over the course of a year. For me that includes gas expenditures for my daily driver and I found that I spent $500 more a year on my RC's versus my actual running daily driver truck. What's wrong with this picture? Are we suppose to pass it off as hobbies are expensive or do we question the prices we are paying for something not as reliable as our daily driver? Explain to me the method of our insane hobby expenditures.......please!

    In all fairness to Traxxas, nothing is indestructible; but this current trend of where I read time and time again that people have to reach into their pocket within a day of owning the vehicle, is not realistic in the sense that we play it off as "It's part of the hobby" and we have to expect failures. The things that are failing on out of the box vehicles that are "Ready to Run" suggest that no companies care anymore other than the fact that it was another sale and forget that there is an actual customer on the other end of that defective product.

    I mean Traxxas support is there and very good; but that doesn't justify the types of defects in these vehicles that we are seeing coming off the line as RTR.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 02-09-2020 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    I dig what you are saying, in a far out happening kind of way, but that's RTR. It use to mean Ready To Race, but over the years it means Ready To Run. The Good thing about RTR is it gets a guy out playing fast, but the bad thing is (like you say) it usually has bare bone, basic stuff.

    The thing to look for (if a person wants to go RTR) is to see how easy a RTR can be modified to accept better than RTR parts. (IMO) if a RTR is designed in such a way that the only parts it can except are all proprietary...(IMO) that's a bad thing. Unfortunately, Traxxas has been leaning this way here lately, but in Traxxas defense, so have other RC companies. That's why I hated to see Traxxas dump the Emaxx. (IMO) it is and always will be, one of the funnest trucks to mod and play with.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-12-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I dig what you are saying, in a far out happening kind of way, but that's RTR. It use to mean Ready To Race, but over the years it means Ready To Run.


    I was just keeping it real without slamming any biased opinion into the equation. That was my hope at least!

    RTR should stand for "Ready to Repair" no matter who you buy from these days. The problem isn't always necessarily the quality aspect, it is who is putting the final product together. I really doubt they have machines that can fully put together these models as there is a certain human element that is needed when aligning the parts or tightening screws or gluing tires.

    Then again, if machines are fully putting these things together, they need a serious calibration check.

    I often wonder if they are starting to automate some of the assembly process of the final product as I have never visited Traxxas personally.

    No machine will ever trump human instinct when it comes to the assembly process. I guarantee I can put these trucks together in the dark better than any machine or sweat factory worker can in a well lit room.

    An example would be when I bought my brand new dirt bike. The first thing a lot of serious riders were doing was to buy the bike from the dealer, take it home, completely tear it down and reassemble it to the proper specs. Mine must of been put together by the goon squad as a lot of the nuts and bolts were way out of torque specifications.

    If I would've rode that bike as it was from the dealer, it would've put me in the hospital within in an hour from faulty torque specifications alone and that didn't even include tolerance aspects of the barrel to the piston to the head. I was livid about that, so I'm not even gonna go there when it comes to dropping almost ten grand on something to find out it was put together by incompetence.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 02-12-2020 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Evaluation and comparison.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    How is this helping the OP with fitting an XO-1 motor?

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    How is this helping the OP with fitting an XO-1 motor?
    Depends on who you are asking.

    The OP already knows he has to fabricate a motor plate (post #4) and probably use an out of this world size pinion considering there is at minimal a 10mm difference in diameter in motor sizes and it is kind of difficult (but it can be done by raising the transmission) to fit larger than a 68 tooth spur. I mean what else is there to say other than I might try it myself and share how I did it.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 02-12-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Since post #8 it's all been about how much you dislike Traxxas "RTR" and nothing about installing a motor as the original poster asked about. If your that unhappy about it you should start your own thread and/or switch to another brand.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Since post #8 it's all been about how much you dislike Traxxas "RTR" and nothing about installing a motor as the original poster asked about. If your that unhappy about it you should start your own thread and/or switch to another brand.
    I'm taken aback grizzly. All I own is Traxxas. I was just pointing out some inconsistency's that all businesses have.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 02-12-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I'm taken aback grizzly. All I own is Traxxas. I was just pointing out some inconsistency's that all businesses have.
    Maybe I read it wrong. It read like post #8 was all about Traxxas's vehicles needed to be upgraded before anyone could enjoy using them.

    Didn't sound very Pro-Traxxas.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 02-12-2020 at 01:37 PM.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong. It read like post #8 was all about Traxxas's vehicles needed to be upgraded before anyone could enjoy using them.

    Didn't sound very Pro-Traxxas.
    Yes, I'll admit that I was harsh in a sense; but I meant no wrong. Like I pointed out earlier, it isn't necessarily the quality of the parts, it is the assembly process that is rushed and sometimes leads to little things that have to be fixed by the end user.

    I understand Traxxas isn't going to pay someone $15 an hour to stand over another person putting the final product together to make sure it is done right. That would get very expensive indeed! You would need another thousand people for every thousand you had employed.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 02-12-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  17. #17
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    I will agree, things today are put together in a rushed sense. I have noticed this with the last three Traxxas vehicles I bought, all minor but it showed.

    In defense of any business, to stay priced competitively these are trade-offs. If there was an add-on option for Buyer's to have the vehicle "Prepped" or "tested" that IMHO would add value to that company towards some customers wants. Some would pay the extra cost for that and could lead to more customers that would otherwise not get into RC because of not knowing what they are doing. It would be a "Guarantee" and "Tested" that it is RTR.

    Myself, I would rather do it myself and pay less for a vehicle than to pay more. Extra money means more RC stuff,Lol.

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    RTR should stand for "Ready to Repair."
    (lol) that's funny. You're right, though, that's what it should stand for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    No machine will ever trump human instinct when it comes to the assembly process. I guarantee I can put these trucks together in the dark better than any machine or sweat factory worker can in a well lit room.
    You're exactly right. No one can beat a conscience American worker in workmanship and ingenuity. Notice, I said conscience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    An example would be when I bought my brand new dirt bike. The first thing a lot of serious riders were doing was to buy the bike from the dealer, take it home, completely tear it down and reassemble it to the proper specs. Mine must of been put together by the goon squad as a lot of the nuts and bolts were way out of torque specifications.
    What dirt bike did you get?
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    How is this helping the OP with fitting an XO-1 motor?
    Mr. Ninja opened this same exact post in the Emaxx forums. It really belongs there instead of here, because it's a question about an Emaxx not an XO-1. Being this is the case, there is a secret hidden rule in the Traxxas forum rules that makes it perfectly acceptable (when this happens) for other members to hijack a post's subject matter to whatever they want (anytime they want). From your reply, it doesn't sound like you've ever heard about this secret hidden rule, so as a friend I thought I'd share. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-13-2020 at 06:10 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Mr. Ninja opened this same exact post in the Emaxx forums. It really belongs there instead of here, because it's a question about an Emaxx not an XO-1....
    ??? This is the E-Maxx forum.

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Mr. Ninja opened this same exact post in the Emaxx forums. It really belongs there instead of here, because it's a question about an Emaxx not an XO-1. Being this is the case, there is a secret hidden rule in the Traxxas forum rules that makes it perfectly acceptable (when this happens) for other members to hijack a post's subject matter to whatever they want (anytime they want). From your reply, it doesn't sound like you've ever heard about this secret hidden rule, so as a friend I thought I'd share. (lol)
    I can't seem to keep straight which of Ninja's posts I'm in...this one or the XO-1 one. I guess that might be one of the reasons why monitors don't want double posts...to confusing. Sorry for the mix up, Grizzles, but keep in mind that secret hidden rule I told you about. It may come in handy someday.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-13-2020 at 09:02 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    To me it was a rant about his experiences with "traxxas" tires and vehicles. Then over in the Maxx thread there was the same. Why not start one thread just about what your unhappy about instead of adding to others threads. Like you just said "might be one of the reasons why monitors don't want double posts."

    If there is one spot for this then it could be talked about easier.

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    What dirt bike did you get?
    I'd rather not get into here because it was years ago and I have put it behind me. I'll PM you all about that one when I can later.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    To me it was a rant about his experiences with "traxxas" tires and vehicles. Then over in the Maxx thread there was the same.
    Yes, in all fairness, they were rants and sometimes I let loose too much in others threads. But I don't do it on purpose or without purpose.

    They are flip side of the coin insights from the standpoint that it is all connected.

    Meaning, we can't use our vehicles if we don't have tires and the tires are connected to the rims and the rims to the axles and so on...and so on.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  24. #24
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Yes, in all fairness, they were rants and sometimes I let loose too much in others threads. But I don't do it on purpose or without purpose.
    Flux, you weren't ranting. You were venting. Ranting is a prolonged angry or violent response, and venting is a prolonged emotional response. Ranting usually contains a lot of high volume insults, bad language, and personal attacks; and venting usually has more of a somber tone of disbelief, lack of understanding, or disappointment.

    So, don't beat yourself up to bad Flux, because I think you're "A" okay...you know, for a RC guy.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-15-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Flux, you weren't ranting. You were venting. Ranting is a prolonged angry or violent response, and venting is a prolonged emotional response. Ranting usually contains a lot of high volume insults, bad language, and personal attacks; and venting usually has more of a somber tone of disbelief, lack of understanding, or disappointment.

    So, don't beat yourself up to bad Flux, because I think you're "A" okay...you know, for a RC guy.

    Thanks for that!

    I do have to learn to control my "venting"....; although all I own is Traxxas. Think about it this way; you couldn't vent about something you don't own, right?

    I really do respect Traxxas and their vehicles because we can rebuild and upgrade them. Sometimes, they just aren't put together properly because of a rushed assembly process (not really a problem though) and I keep forgetting that they have to keep up with demand.

    Back to this thread:

    I looked around a bit and was wondering what the diameter of the XO-1 motor is. Is it bigger than 49mm?
    Is it a 5mm or 8mm shaft?
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 02-15-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  26. #26
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I looked around a bit and was wondering what the diameter of the XO-1 motor is. Is it bigger than 49mm?
    Is it a 5mm or 8mm shaft?
    This is what I found.

    This is what Jennys RC description says on their web site WEB LINK
    "The can is 49mm in diameter and 85mm in length.
    Shaft is is 21mm long and has a 5mm diameter."

    Here is what Jennys RC wrote on Amazon on 2/5/2016 AMAZON Q&A LINK Traxxas part#3387
    "Here are the specs:
    1650kV
    Battery Input Voltage: Up to 22.2
    Amp Rating: 120
    Weight: 20 oz (567g)
    Motor Diameter: 49.95mm with fins
    Motor Length: 85mm
    Shaft: 5mm
    Bearings: Oversize ABEC-1 Front and Rear
    Connector: 6.5mm Gold"

  27. #27
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Thank you so much for your post #26 grizzly!

    I was even looking in the "Parts List" section for the XO-1 on Traxxas and couldn't find the general information.

    It is going to be more difficult than I thought initially to redesign a motor plate. As ReglarGuy said, the mounting holes may be good but the motors diameter is pushing the limit on pinion sizes because no matter how I would fabricate a motor mount plate, there is a definite minimal fixed distance that is unchangeable between the motor and transmission to pinion. Now I know the possibility of mounting the motor higher opens possibilities; but then the truck would be too top heavy.

    A transmission lift of about 1.5mm would allow for maybe one or more teeth on a 68 tooth spur but then the center axle angle would maybe be too extreme to accommodate the slight lift even if the center axle cups had that slight bit more of clearance from the chassis bottom.

    I'm thinking it would be better to see if the chassis could be cut away at the spur, but then it would get into altering the battery hold downs again on the passenger-side to allow for a couple more teeth on the spur. It is looking more and more like using an out of this world size pinion would be the way to go for the least modifications to run the motor.

    I guess it would just all come down to being able to only gear it for speed due to the fact that the pinion would probably have more than thirty teeth I'm guessing at this point.

    My head is spinning because I'm brainstorming all the possible problems and not the solution. I guess it just comes down to the fact that a completely redesigned transmission case would be the only way to allow a can of that diameter to sit lower.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 02-16-2020 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  28. #28
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Referencing Post#7. That stock Castle 2200 kv motor already has way more power than you can possibly ever constructively use in an Emaxx, so why waist your time and money with trying to install a XO-1 motor.

    What I'd concentrate on would be beefing up the chassis, so that way you can get as much out of your Castle setup as possible. A stock Emaxx won't let you do that unless you run it on 4s, and where's the fun in that.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-16-2020 at 05:50 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  29. #29
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Referencing Post#7. That stock Castle 2200 kv motor already has way more power than you can possibly ever constructively use in an Emaxx, so why waist your time and money with trying to install a XO-1 motor.

    Yes, I have to admit that when I'm cruising along at a quarter throttle and decide to start really accelerating, the 2200 Kv motor lifts the front wheels off the ground effortlessly. The 1515 1Y series motor I got from Castle in the truck now, could pull twice my trucks weight and still have some to shine probably.

    What irked my interest in putting a XO-1 motor in this truck, was likely the fact that it couldn't be done easily and I've always enjoyed taking the hard path to success.

    I might chalk this one up as an intriguing idea that is better left alone!
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  30. #30
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I was even looking in the "Parts List" section for the XO-1 on Traxxas and couldn't find the general information...
    I discovered that myself. I don't know what happened as they did sell it as part#3387? Maybe something to do with Castle,Traxxas relationship on the XO-1? I'm just guessing,IDK.

    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Referencing Post#7. That stock Castle 2200 kv motor already has way more power than you can possibly ever constructively use in an Emaxx, so why waist your time and money with trying to install a XO-1 motor...
    The same thing was said to malonefamily2003 about his Huge Traxxas Summit OVERKILL and he enjoyed the build.

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The same thing was said to malonefamily2003 about his Huge Traxxas Summit OVERKILL and he enjoyed the build.
    The "Fun Factor" and "Bragging Rights" should definitely be considered when thinking about doing a project, that's for sure, but I wouldn't go the Castle 1717 motor way. If I wanted to go absolutely crazy with my Emaxx for the sake of fun and bragging rights, I'd lean more towards a dual MM2's system package. Traxxas does a brushed dual system package with their brushed version of the Emaxx, so right there, you know you have a good chance of pulling it off with brushless.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-16-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  32. #32
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    The "Fun Factor" and "Bragging Rights" should definitely be considered when thinking about doing a project, that's for sure, but I wouldn't go the Castle 1717 motor way. If I wanted to go absolutely crazy with my Emaxx for the sake of fun and bragging rights, I'd lean more towards a dual MM2's system package. Traxxas does a brushed dual system package with their brushed version of the Emaxx, so right there, you know you have a good chance of pulling it off with brushless.
    I find these comments were more helpful than "why waste your time and money with trying to install a XO-1 motor." Constructive criticism and possible different options for one to achieve their goal (whether or not you would do it) are much better sounding advice than coming across as negative. I feel that it gets more people involved and with more people involved in the conversation, someone can come up with an idea that would otherwise be overlooked. I know you don't mean to be negative, as you have shown your own mods, especially with the Spartan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    What irked my interest in putting a XO-1 motor in this truck, was likely the fact that it couldn't be done easily and I've always enjoyed taking the hard path to success.

    I might chalk this one up as an intriguing idea that is better left alone!
    The dual brushed motor mount could be something to look at for mounting the XO-1 motor, taken from RegularGuy's idea.


    I don't own an E-Maxx but have considered putting the XO-1 motor in a Summit chassis. If that xo-1 motor was sensored I would be working on stuffing it in there right now! I myself enjoy taking something and trying something different. Hopefully this year I get to start a project I wanted to try and share the progress, hurdles I face, and look for advice to "GIT-R-DONE".

  33. #33
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I find these comments were more helpful than "why waste your time and money with trying to install a XO-1 motor." Constructive criticism and possible different options for one to achieve their goal (whether or not you would do it) are much better sounding advice than coming across as negative. I feel that it gets more people involved and with more people involved in the conversation, someone can come up with an idea that would otherwise be overlooked. I know you don't mean to be negative, as you have shown your own mods, especially with the Spartan.
    Thank you for not thinking I'm a mean and negative guy, and I don't think it's a waste of time to discuss different opinions. Sometimes, though, you have to warn a friend if he might be getting in a little over his head. I looked at using my XO-1/1717 motor in my Emaxx a good ways back, and weighed all the advantages and compared them to all the technical issues that would need to worked through.

    As one of Flux's bestest buddies, my mindset was to look out for him (and also help Ninja) by telling some (not all) of what I had found back then. (IMO) a true friend isn't a "Yes Man," but someone who isn't afraid to give a friend his opinion of straight scoop. Sometimes it's not what your friend wants to hear, but you know it's best that he knows. The key, though, is telling them in a such a way, that if the rolls were reversed, you wouldn't think that he wasn't acting as your friend.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-16-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  34. #34
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Thank you for not thinking I'm a mean and negative guy, and I don't think it's a waste of time to discuss different opinions. Sometimes, though, you have to warn a friend if he might be getting in a little over his head. I looked at using my XO-1/1717 motor in my Emaxx a good ways back, and weighed all the advantages and compared them to all the technical issues that would need to worked through.

    As one of Flux's bestest buddies, my mindset was to look out for him (and also help Ninja) by telling some (not all) of what I had found back then. (IMO) a true friend isn't a "Yes Man," but someone who isn't afraid to give a friend his opinion of straight scoop. Sometimes it's not what your friend wants to hear, but you know it's best that he knows. The key, though, is telling them in a such a way, that if the rolls were reversed, you wouldn't think that he wasn't acting as your friend.
    I agree.

    It bothers me that more & more answers or comments are a quick "NO" rather then trying to find a possible solution. Just because the Pros and Cons gave a person reason why they shouldn't try, it could give another a reason to try. A con for you could be a pro for me. If someone has tried some part of what they are asking, say what works and what doesn't. List the issues that would need to be addressed and work through them, this reason is why I enjoyed posts by Malonefamily,Mistercrash,and Rodent00008 who made a nitro summit (wish it still had pics in that thread, it looked like it came straight from factory). They all did what was thought as a waste of time.

    As an example: Also you could say the instant torque would rip apart the transmission gears as a con, but you could run a loose slipper and handle the power output without damage. Would it be possible to take an XO-1 motor mount, drill a couple of hole and bolt it to the Emaxx one? The Xo-1 motor mounts are adjusted by sliding, instead of swinging upward. It could help keep the motor lower in the chassis.

  35. #35
    RC Qualifier Flux Capacitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    As one of Flux's bestest buddies, my mindset was to look out for him (and also help Ninja) by telling some (not all) of what I had found back then.
    Glad you got my six! I just wish some of our older threads (well mine did) didn't get messed up because of photo hosting carelessness.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Would it be possible to take an XO-1 motor mount, drill a couple of hole and bolt it to the Emaxx one? The Xo-1 motor mounts are adjusted by sliding, instead of swinging upward. It could help keep the motor lower in the chassis.
    Oh great! Now you got me thinking and rethinking again. I mean that in a good way grizzly!

    I even went as far as starting to draw mock-ups of adding a third gear in-between the pinion and spur but it involves complex calculations to reach what would be considered a constant mesh idler gear to allow a smaller pinion. Is it practical? Probably not. Doable? Well just maybe!

    Since I can reverse my motor direction with the Castle setup, I don't foresee a problem with a third gear.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 02-16-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Fixed
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

  36. #36
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Glad you got my six! I just wish some of our older threads (well mine did) didn't get messed up because of photo hosting carelessness.
    Yup, many informative threads with pictures are blurred now.

    Oh great! Now you got me thinking and rethinking again. I mean that in a good way grizzly!
    Me too! I would install one of these motors to power the 40 series tires I want. I'll have to look into it again, as I remember something about using a dual motor mount plate on a summit, changing how the motor could be mounted. It could be useful. I'll see if I can dig up the info.

  37. #37
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    It bothers me that more & more answers or comments are a quick "NO" rather then trying to find a possible solution.
    I agree that people shouldn't be to quick to say NO. I think they should give reasons for their NO. As a general rule, I can't remember the last time I said NO. Usually, I ask a person why they want to do something, and then give my personal or technical reasons why I would or wouldn't give it a try. The reason why I don't generally say YES or NO, is because of the variables of FUN and BRAGGING RIGHTS (which you and I discussed in replies #30/31). This is what I did in reply #7.

    Just because the Pros and Cons gave a person reason why they shouldn't try, it could give another a reason to try. A con for you could be a pro for me.
    (IMO) Very true, if the pro's and con's are a person's opinion, or the gaining of and losing features. However, if they are of technical matters sometimes the cons just can't be overcome. So far, with this XO-1/Emaxx motor subject, I haven't said the word NO. I've only asked the question WHY (reply #7), and before that I answered a member's question (replies #2 and 4). I got to say Grizzles, so far I think I've been very positive. Down the road, when I see the reason why or what some of the goals are, it would be my pleasure to take the next step and help you all in solving any technical issues.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-17-2020 at 07:37 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  38. #38
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I agree that people shouldn't be to quick to say NO. I think they should give reasons for their NO. As a general rule, I can't remember the last time I said NO. Usually, I ask a person why they want to do something, and then give my personal or technical reasons why I would or wouldn't give it a try. The reason why I don't generally say YES or NO, is because of the variables of FUN and BRAGGING RIGHTS (which you and I discussed in replies #30/31). This is what I did in reply #7.



    (IMO) Very true, if the pro's and con's are a person's opinion, or the gaining of and losing features. However, if they are of technical matters sometimes the cons just can't be overcome. So far, with this XO-1/Emaxx motor subject, I haven't said the word NO. I've only asked the question WHY (reply #7), and before that I answered a member's question (replies #2 and 4). I got to say Grizzles, so far I think I've been very positive. Down the road, when I see the reason why or what some of the goals are, it would be my pleasure to take the next step and help you all in solving any technical issues.
    Reply #7 reads like a reason why it shouldn't be done in your "professional amateur opinion", with no explanations of "several things that need to be done before he can benefit from its' full potential."

    Post #31 you said use two brushless motors (MM2). How would the power output from two 1515 motors be less than one 1717 motor? I would think one 1717 would be better.

    Post #34 I mentioned something about using a XO-1 mount. I don't own one, but you do. Is it possible to do what I suggested?

    Just because the word No isn't spoken does not mean that it is not implied. I've given suggestions of how to try to accomplish installing and using an XO-1 motor. Please jump in and give ideas on how to get one installed even if it is impractical.

  39. #39
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Reply #7 reads like a reason why it shouldn't be done in your "professional amateur opinion", with no explanations of "several things that need to be done before he can benefit from its' full potential."
    I agree, that I said "shouldn't, but I didn't say "no" you couldn't do it." I disagree that I didn't say the reason why, because I did. Here's what I wrote for the reason why:

    "The Emaxx is probably the most over the top "power to weight" RC vehicle that has ever been produced. So much so, that if/when a person wants to run it on 6s there are several things that need to be done before he can benefit from its' full potential. Even at that, a Emaxx on 6s has more power than what a person could ever use constructively. That's what makes the Emaxx such a great truck! It's like a John Deer lawn tractor with a Chevy 427 big block."


    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Post #31 you said use two brushless motors (MM2). How would the power output from two 1515 motors be less than one 1717 motor? I would think one 1717 would be better.
    I didn't say a double MM2 setup would have more or less power. I said that the power output would be crazy. I also said, that's the way I'd go (rather than a 1717) due to parts availability.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Post #34 I mentioned something about using a XO-1 mount. I don't own one, but you do. Is it possible to do what I suggested?
    Okay, now that we're best buddies again (lol), I will tell you and the guys the things I ran into when I looked at putting in my XO-1 1717 motor into my Emaxx. But please be patient with me, because I have to take some time to review my notes.

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Just because the word No isn't spoken does not mean that it is not implied. I've given suggestions of how to try to accomplish installing and using an XO-1 motor. Please jump in and give ideas on how to get one installed even if it is impractical.
    Hearing the word "no" is usually never easy, but sometimes it's the only answer to a question. Let me know if you guys are looking for more power, more speed or just looking for a challenge; and I will be glad to jump in and give you some ideas on some of the options that I've explored in the past.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

  40. #40
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. ReglarGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Eastern Shore, Maryland
    Posts
    4,252
    P.S. To answer your question, Grizzles "I mentioned something about using a XO-1 mount. I don't own one, but you do. Is it possible to do what I suggested?" The answer (you're not going to like this, lol) is no. The XO-1 motor mount won't mechanically fit on where it would be need to be fitted on a Emaxx. It would be like putting a square peg in a round hole. The other reason is a XO-1 mount adjusts horizontally for gear mesh as apposed to a Emaxx mount that curves vertically.

    Also, I have never seen an after market motor mount that would let you mount a 1717 motor to a Emaxx. It would have to be made. The first step in making one (for a Emaxx 1717 installation) would be to make a motor mount that would work and fit like the stock, but would have the spacing that would be needed to mount a 1717 motor. There are some problems with that, but I will tell you them later on when I have more time. Take care till then.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 02-17-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •