Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    P.S. To answer your question, Grizzles "I mentioned something about using a XO-1 mount. I don't own one, but you do. Is it possible to do what I suggested?" The answer (you're not going to like this, lol) is no. The XO-1 motor mount won't mechanically fit on where it would be need to be fitted on a Emaxx. It would be like putting a square peg in a round hole. The other reason is a XO-1 mount adjusts horizontally for gear mesh as apposed to a Emaxx mount that curves vertically.
    Re-read what was said. "Would it be possible to take an XO-1 motor mount, drill a couple of hole and bolt it to the Emaxx one? The Xo-1 motor mounts are adjusted by sliding, instead of swinging upward." Why could you not bolt the motor adapter to the E-maxx plates? Just because something is made for one purpose doesn't mean it couldn't be used differently. Like in this picture. I drew it very quickly so it's not to scale. Just showing why does it matter if it mounts horizontally.

Also, I have never seen an after market motor mount that would let you mount a 1717 motor to a Emaxx. It would have to be made. The first step in making one (for a Emaxx 1717 installation) would be to make a motor mount that would work and fit like the stock, but would have the spacing that would be needed to mount a 1717 motor. There are some problems with that, but I will tell you them later on when I have more time. Take care till then.
    Post#6 I answered that question. SAGA E-MAXX mount(1) and another SAGA E-MAXX mount(2)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Reply #7 reads like a reason why it shouldn't be done in your "professional amateur opinion", with no explanations of "several things that need to be done before he can benefit from its' full potential."
    What needs to be done if I want to run 6s?

Post #31 you said use two brushless motors (MM2). How would the power output from two 1515 motors be less than one 1717 motor? I would think one 1717 would be better.
    You did say that's the way you would go. But you didn't answer my curiosity question. (Is one an easier install than installing two?)

Hearing the word "no" is usually never easy, but sometimes it's the only answer to a question. Let me know if you guys are looking for more power, more speed or just looking for a challenge; and I will be glad to jump in and give you some ideas on some of the options that I've explored in the past.
    Back to the original question. How would I fit a XO-1 motor in my E-maxx?

Why would "no" or "why waist your time and money with trying to install a XO-1 motor" even be said.

What would be wrong if I wanted to install the XO-1 motor and run 4s? Or install one for a shelf queen? Why should that make any difference? I would still need suggestions on mounting either way. I never asked how it would be run, I only tried offering suggestions on how to go about installing a motor. What are some of your ideas?

If you look at your picture (nice picture by the way), you can see why that your doubled-up motor mount (XO-1 on Emaxx) wouldn't work. Looking at your Emaxx's motor mount (BLUE), you can see that the adjustment slots (that your motor and securing screw fits into) have a curve trajectory for your gear mesh adjustment. Your XO-1 motor mount (RED) on top of your Emaxx mount has a straight vertical trajectory (in a XO-1 it's mounted for a straight horizontally trajectory). That's the most obvious reason, but there are others too.

https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p...%2C2650kv.html

At the time no one made a motor mount for installing a 1717 motor on an Emaxx. I made one for a friend who wanted to use his 1717 on his Emaxx. If you want I can tell you how I made it. The problem he had though was with gearing. He had to gear it very high due to the difference in diameter between a Emaxx/1515 (3") and an XO-1/1717 (3 1/2") motor. Being this was the case, his performance was no where near a stock Emaxx. Plus, he had heat issues with both his 1717 motor and ESC, because of the tall gearing he had to use.

https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p...2C2650kv_.html

(IMO) this looks like it would work way better than the first mount, because it definitely solves some (not all) of the gearing problems. However, I don't know how the truck would handle, and this mount is more for top end rather than bashing. I have to say, honestly, I never tried or thought of this. It's definitely priced well. (IMO) me being a basher, I wouldn't be interested in this, but I do think it's pretty cool.

To run 6s in a Emaxx (you can look at my posts for "How to do's") you will want to upgrade your battery trays, shocks, drive shafts, axles, on/off switch, wheels, bumpers, and most importantly diff pinion bearings. If you look up any of my posts and the picture are gone (let me know), and I will repost them for you.

Like I said (here), I never thought of the second mount you posted, but we did think of the first way. Yes, doing the dual motor mount works well, and is the easiest to do. You could get the mount from Traxxas, the motors from Castle, and the electronics from Horizon Hobby. I didn't do this to my Emaxx, but I did help my friend do this to his Emaxx. (IMO) I liked how my stock Emaxx ran better than my friends, but he was happy with how his turned out. Plus, it looked really bad as.

Going back to your original question, If I only wanted a shelf queen (you didn't mention that before) I'd use (or make) the first motor mount that you linked. If I wanted to do only speed runs, I'd use the second motor mount you linked. And, if I wanted bashing performance, I'd keep everything stock (with 6s upgrades) or use the dual motor mount. (IMO) I think my stock Emaxx (with 6s upgrades) bashes better than my friends duel motor setup, but his runs good and does look a whole lot cooler than mine.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-07-2020 at 07:41 AM.
    Better to die a man, than live like a mommy part.

RC Qualifier
    If you look at your picture (nice picture by the way), you can see why that your doubled-up motor mount (XO-1 on Emaxx) wouldn't work. Looking at your Emaxx's motor mount (BLUE), you can see that the adjustment slots (that your motor and securing screw fits into) have a curve trajectory for your gear mesh adjustment. Your XO-1 motor mount (RED) on top of your Emaxx mount has a straight vertical trajectory (in a XO-1 it's mounted for a straight horizontally trajectory). That's the most obvious reason...
    Why would the E-maxx motor adjustment slots make a difference? You wouldn't be using them (that part would be cut off), you would be adjusting the motor gear mesh by sliding the motor in the XO-1 mount. If I turn the mount 90deg it would still slide for motor adjustment. I'm very confused as to why it won't work, is it because your XO-1 mount only works in a horizontal trajectory? It should still slide when turned vertically.

In the following diagram are examples of setting gear mesh. You could bolt the mount off-center also, and still slide for gear mesh.

At the time no one made a motor mount for installing a 1717 motor on an Emaxx. I made one for a friend who wanted to use his 1717 on his Emaxx. If you want I can tell you how I made it. The problem he had though was with gearing. He had to gear it very high due to the difference in diameter between a Emaxx/1515 (3") and an XO-1/1717 (3 1/2") motor. Being this was the case, his performance was no where near a stock Emaxx. Plus, he had heat issues with both his 1717 motor and ESC, because of the tall gearing he had to use.
    This mount is the same style as the stock one and allows gearing of 31pinion/68spur with the 1717 motor in the stock location raised enough to clear the transmission. The 31/68 is not that much higher in speed with the lower kv of the XO-1 motor compared to the 2200 motor. (A #3908 E-Maxx geared at 31/68 with stock tires and the XO-1 motor would be at 65mph on 6s and 43mph on 4s). If you made a mount so you could run only certain high gears it's not the motor or ESC's fault for heat issues. This would be an issue with the mounting of the 1717 motor. Others have mounted a 1717 motor and had no problems with heat.

(IMO) this looks like it would work way better than the first mount, because it definitely solves some (not all) of the gearing problems. However, I don't know how the truck would handle, and this mount is more for top end rather than bashing. I have to say, honestly, I never tried or thought of this. It's definitely priced well. (IMO) me being a basher, I wouldn't be interested in this, but I do think it's pretty cool.
    I agree. It's just another way of mounting a 1717(XO-1) motor.

To run 6s in a Emaxx (you can look at my posts for "How to do's") you will want to upgrade your battery trays, shocks, drive shafts, axles, on/off switch, wheels, bumpers, and most importantly diff pinion bearings...
    Driveline upgrades would be the same as what was/could be done to an E-revo 1.0. Or the Losi LST diff mod instead of pinion bearings, as it is much easier to install them in an E/T maxx bulkheads than in a revo bulkhead.

...Going back to your original question, If I only wanted a shelf queen (you didn't mention that before)
    Shouldn't make a difference.
    How can I mount a XO-1 motor on my E-maxx is still asking for ideas on HOW TO and not WHY NOT TO DO the install.

I'd use (or make) the first motor mount that you linked. If I wanted to do only speed runs, I'd use the second motor mount you linked. And, if I wanted bashing performance, I'd keep everything stock (with 6s upgrades) or use the dual motor mount. (IMO) I think my stock Emaxx (with 6s upgrades) bashes better than my friends duel motor setup, but his runs good and does look a whole lot cooler than mine.
    I respect your opinion. But that is what it is and it might not be mine or someone else's that is looking to install a XO-1 motor in an E-maxx.

I did my very best in #43 to answer all your questions. I'm truly sorry if it doesn't, but it's the best I can do. I can only tell you (from experience) what I found from helping my friend with his truck. Like I said above, it all depends on what your final goal is. If you want a "Shelf Queen" you can use or make this motor mount (below). My experience with this motor mount is, if you use it for anything other than display, you will have heat problems with your motor and ESC, because a 68/31 (we used 68/32) is just to tall for that 1717/MM2 setup. If you don't believe me, there's nothing wrong with you giving it a shot.

In post #43 I also said that your pictured idea of using a XO-1 motor mount, mounted, on top of a Emaxx motor mount will not work, because it moves the motor in a straight line, and the Emaxx motor has to be moved around an axis in a curved line. Again, that is from my experience. If you don't believe me, by all means you should give it a try.

If your goal is 100% to mount and use a 1717 motor, I can only tell you that my choice would be trying that second motor mount you posted (below). In all honesty, I have no experience with it, but from what I read (from the link you provided) it looks like it would be good for either a shelf queen or for speed runs (with less of a heat signature) due to it having more gearing flexibility. (IMO) I think this motor mount would be the best answer you're looking for, and for 20 some dollars...you can't beat the price. Great price!

You asked me (a few posts back) if a duel motor install is easier than trying to mount a 1717 motor to the Emaxx. Back when I had to make the mount, yes, it was a lot easier. Now, though, that you can buy the two 1717 mounts (above) or buy the duel motor mount, (IMO) the installation ease of all three mounts would be about the same. As far as performance, if you want to bash I would go with the duel motor mount. If you want to speed run, I'd honestly give your second motor mount a try. (IMO) It looks to be technically sound. We didn't consider it only because, it wasn't available at the time and we also didn't think of it.

Just for your curiosity, mind you, the only problem my friend had with his duel motor setup was that he couldn't use all the power that he had. When we installed his duel motors he had twice the torque (makes sense) than what he had with a single MM2 setup. I say this, because his truck didn't have the traction (the Emaxx doesn't have the weight) to get the full benefit of his new duel system.

That's why I said (a ways back) as far as performance I haven't seen anything better than using a MM2 (or equivalent) in a Emaxx for all round bashing performance. I totally understand if you don't believe me, and want to try other things. I do, I really do. So, I don't have any problem (at all) if you try each thing we discussed...your pictured XO-1/Emaxx mount, the 1st mount, the 2nd mount, and the duel motor mount.

(IMO) I don't think you are going to be really satisfied, and have all of your questions answered until you do. Sometimes a person has to see before they believe, and I'm good with you needing that. I'm that way too, sometimes, so good luck with your 1717 installation and God bless you in your quest.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-08-2020 at 07:14 AM.

P.S. I respect your opinion too, and wish (for your sake) that you had more experience with this 1717 project. I only say that because, I think it would be easier for you to see what I'm trying to tell you from my experiences. That's why I say that there's only two ways a person can go when wanting to do a project.

One, is except what someone tells them about what an experienced person has experienced. Or two, a person has to experience it for himself (I don't include herself, because I'm old school and not in touch with my feminine side). I think once you try each one of your ideas you'll better see what I've been trying to tell you with my answers to your questions. From there (in the future), my answers will make better sense to you. As you try each one of your ideas, if you have any questions, I won't mind helping you in any way that I can.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 03-08-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12