RC Enthusiast

problems after lighter center diff

So I switched to a lighter oil in the center diff, and I'm getting some temp warnings now on the voltage controller towards the ends of some harder sessions. I'm now running TA 500k in the center, after completely cleaning out all the factory goop. It's definitely lighter.
    Went out for some aggressive runs, pretty much ran down two 4S batteries and was getting temp errors in there.
    Is there some way that the looser center diff is mechanically allowing the motor to run harder (and thereore hotter)?
    IF not that, I'm wondering if my motor is going bad. Never got a temp error in a few months of running with the factory 20M in the center.
    Am also getting some very much worse stutter on start sometimes. Like it just won't go anywhere for 5 seconds. But never stutters after while rolling. Just really really doesn't want to get started sometimes. Don't know if that's related to this.
    Thx for any comments.
    Last edited by dimsdale; 01-29-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Temp warning is for ESC I believe, I don't think it has any sensor for the motor temp. Different diff fluid shouldn't do anything, is there any chance you reinstalled something incorrectly?

Is your ESC fan dying/dead?
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Enthusiast
    I’m running 500k (only one pack) and no temperature warning so far. I’ve never seen a warning before, are you referring to the red light on the ESC or are you talking about in the Traxxas app with Bluetooth?

RC Enthusiast
    Well, something crapped out. Was out with the Maxx, and except for the occasional stutter, was doing great. Suddenly car just stopped. ESC had all four lights flashing. Manual for that scenario says “not good, call support.” Traxxas support was like yep, something is toast. So got an RMA and motor + ESC going back to Traxxas.

But the fans on the motor and ESC were ok, spinning normally with no obstructions.

Glad they're taking care of you. IMO, Traxxas electronics are subpar. They do everything in-house, but on the downside unless they've got top level electronics people working there, they're not going to be industry best of breed.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Enthusiast
    Traxxas support has been great. When Iíve called about things, I get someone knowledgeable on the phone in a minute. Really impressed. Lots of spare parts all over the net, which is... good. As the Maxx build quality has been less so. But still great fun. Love getting the Maxx up on the left or right sides, wheelies and flips etc. My Australian Shepard doggo chases it like crazy, the Max can act like some wild animal. The inherent instability of the design, with the shorter arms, is perfect.
    Just constantly broken. Going to have to get a second car so I can reliably exercise doggo. Planning on an Arrma Kraton 6S, will see how that goes. If itís only a hobby, then car going offline for a week+ for ESC trip to Traxxas is whatever, I have other things to do. But no realistic way to exercise this insane sport dog, so need more uptime on car.