Thread: 4tec 2.0

RC Racer

4tec 2.0

My 4tec 2.0 is done! What do you guys think?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It looks good. Whose aluminum did you use? I use the same RX. My only question is will the body fit over those massive trays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    It looks good. Whose aluminum did you use? I use the same RX. My only question is will the body fit over those massive trays?

Itís integy and gpm....I have a few bodies I can use....even the stock ford body

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo-15 View Post
    Itís integy and gpm....I have a few bodies I can use....even the stock ford body
    Like most, not an Integy fan, but youíve put in the time on it. It looks good. Did you scratch build it or do you have a massive pile of plastic parts somewhere?

Not trying to "day your hopes", but, hope that's a "shelf queen"...because, with all that aluminum, that vehicle is gonna be quite heavy, ruining performance. On top of that, Integy & GPM are, essentially, garbage (ie. low-quality aluminum, probe to easily bending). There's a reason their parts are so cheap. All that 'bling' is akin to capping all your teeth work gold/silver...all "looks", and nothing else.

The worst thing is using aluminum A-arms. One thing I learned very quickly, from reading other people's posts, is to never user aluminum A-arms on performance, or "bashing" vehicles, as they'll start bending fairly quickly. While certain RPM parts (for example, shock towers & body mounts), are great, other parts (such as their A-arms) are too flexible. At the other end of the spectrum, aluminum A-arms have NO 'flex', thus they WILL bend, and NOT return to their proper shape. The A-arms need to have a certain amount of 'flex', and the stock Traxxas plastic A-arms are perfect for this.

I can't tell you what to do...but, if you decide to run it as-is, keep us updated on how long it lasts that way before aluminum parts (A-arms, turnbuckles, shock towers, etc) start getting bent.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Like most, not an Integy fan, but youíve put in the time on it. It looks good. Did you scratch build it or do you have a massive pile of plastic parts somewhere?

This isnít my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd car built like this....itís all in how you run it....I appreciate the comments though

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Not trying to "day your hopes", but, hope that's a "shelf queen"...because, with all that aluminum, that vehicle is gonna be quite heavy, ruining performance. On top of that, Integy & GPM are, essentially, garbage (ie. low-quality aluminum, probe to easily bending). There's a reason their parts are so cheap. All that 'bling' is akin to capping all your teeth work gold/silver...all "looks", and nothing else.

The worst thing is using aluminum A-arms. One thing I learned very quickly, from reading other people's posts, is to never user aluminum A-arms on performance, or "bashing" vehicles, as they'll start bending fairly quickly. While certain RPM parts (for example, shock towers & body mounts), are great, other parts (such as their A-arms) are too flexible. At the other end of the spectrum, aluminum A-arms have NO 'flex', thus they WILL bend, and NOT return to their proper shape. The A-arms need to have a certain amount of 'flex', and the stock Traxxas plastic A-arms are perfect for this.

I can't tell you what to do...but, if you decide to run it as-is, keep us updated on how long it lasts that way before aluminum parts (A-arms, turnbuckles, shock towers, etc) start getting bent.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Whatís your highest speed?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

I agree with this, but it looks as if his only goal is speed, aluminum and CF is the perfect way to go. I may not agree with the brand choices, but given heís running an XLX and TP motor, Iíd say itís a speed car and rigidity and weight are important as well as an aerodynamic body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo-15 View Post
    Whatís your highest speed?
    I don't go for "top speed"...I prefer keeping my vehicles in one piece, so that I can run then again. Top speed + hitting something = vehicle in many pieces. Most of my vehicles are for off-road racing (2WD & 4WD buggies, STs, SCTs), though I do have one on-road (XRAY T4). I've also recently gotten into crawling, which is all about control & finesse. If I want to go super-fast in a straight line, I'll build a no-prep drag racer (which, in all honesty, in an considering).

I agree with this, but it looks as if his only goal is speed, aluminum and CF is the perfect way to go. I may not agree with the brand choices, but given heís running an XLX and TP motor, Iíd say itís a speed car and rigidity and weight are important as well as an aerodynamic body.

I understand the need for rigidity & weight...but, there are better ways of going about it. First, soaking of weight, all the CF removed a LOT of weight, which defeats the purpose of adding weight. On that point, I could possibly understand why do much aluminum was needed - to compensate for the weight-loss caused by the extensive use of CF.

However, there's are better ways of increasing rigidity & weight. For one thing, a chassis stiffener will improve rigidity greatly. An aluminum chassis, with proper stiffening, will increase rigidity, as well as weight...plus, a stiffened aluminum chassis is less likely to bend than aluminum A-arms. As for adding weight, with an aluminum chassis, is additional weight is still needed, that's what brass plates are great for. Not only do they increase the weight, but, properly placed, they'll also help to balance the car (which is equally as important as rigidity & weight, as an unbalanced car (front-to-rear, as well as left-to-right) can lead to disasterous results.

RC Racer
    I don't go for "top speed"...I prefer keeping my vehicles in one piece, so that I can run then again. Top speed + hitting something = vehicle in many pieces. Most of my vehicles are for off-road racing (2WD & 4WD buggies, STs, SCTs), though I do have one on-road (XRAY T4). I've also recently gotten into crawling, which is all about control & finesse. If I want to go super-fast in a straight line, I'll build a no-prep drag racer (which, in all honesty, in an considering).

Oh ok cool....i prefer top speed and I run in open space to avoid ďmany piecesĒ....itís apart of the game and I embrace it...it isnít a question of IF it breaks for me, itís how it breaks! I like my cars to go fast and look good....thanks for ur input though

RC Qualifier
    I want to see some videos of this thing run
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours